What's new
World Wide Stereo

Best way to hang a fixed projector screen without making any holes in the wall (1 Viewer)

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Holes in the ceiling, possibly toggle bolts. Seriously, I do not think it is possible to hang without holes in the wall or ceiling without risk of it falling down. The only other option would be to hang a fabric screen with poster tape or 3M Command Strips.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Holes can be patched when you're done, if handled reasonably well, but if you absolutely can't/won't consider that, I guess you could try what I do. Use a stand instead. I just use a portable screen (w/ stand) myself and place it up against a wall (w/ things strategically placed along the wall as well as floor to help support/stabilize). Not the most sturdy rig, especially if you have young kids and/or large pets I guess, since my stand is designed/meant to be freestanding away from walls (and I can't use the rear part of the stand's "feet" extension since I have it up against the wall), but I have it working fine for me.

The portable screen I use is a previous version of this Elite one w/out the extra diagonal bracings on the rear side -- not sure if those diagonal bracings can be left off or disabled (for placing up against a wall) for this iteration:

I originally bought it only for portable use, not at home, but ended up trying it this way much later as well for my current setup.

Also, screen options are limited... and no idea if you can readily customize some other screen of your choice (or DIY), but this might give you some idea(s) if you want to pursue something along this avenue...

_Man_

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Elite also makes a floor standing, retractable screen if DIY isn’t your thing and you just want something that can be easily set up and put away after each use.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Elite also makes a floor standing, retractable screen if DIY isn’t your thing and you just want something that can be easily set up and put away after each use.

Right. Not sure if they have other (better?) models offhand, but the portable screen I use is indeed an Elite one (a Yardmaster 2) that's reasonably quick/easy to setup and break down... though still can take upto maybe 30min or so to set up, especially if you're doing it alone and/or new (or just very rusty) at it -- maybe w/ plenty of practice, can be set up in as little as 15min perhaps.

_Man_

ng4ever

Agent
Real Name
Tim
Thanks everyone think I decided to build a stand for a fixed projector screen that does not look like one and is hidden, the stand.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Right. Not sure if they have other (better?) models offhand, but the portable screen I use is indeed an Elite one (a Yardmaster 2) that's reasonably quick/easy to setup and break down... though still can take upto maybe 30min or so to set up, especially if you're doing it alone and/or new (or just very rusty) at it -- maybe w/ plenty of practice, can be set up in as little as 15min perhaps.

_Man_

You’re talking about outdoor portable screens. I’m talking about indoor portable screens like these:

I had very good results with one of these several years ago when it was not possible for me to hang a screen directly on a wall. This does not take 30 minutes to set up, more like 30 seconds. You put the case on the floor where you want it to go, and pull it up. That’s it. When not in use, the case can be stood vertically and stored in a closet or corner. It’s meant for people who want to use a screen indoors but can’t anchor anything to a wall.

ng4ever

Agent
Real Name
Tim
You’re talking about outdoor portable screens. I’m talking about indoor portable screens like these:

I had very good results with one of these several years ago when it was not possible for me to hang a screen directly on a wall. This does not take 30 minutes to set up, more like 30 seconds. You put the case on the floor where you want it to go, and pull it up. That’s it. When not in use, the case can be stood vertically and stored in a closet or corner. It’s meant for people who want to use a screen indoors but can’t anchor anything to a wall.
Yes but I bet it will break sooner or later wish they had a rating on how many times you could pull it up and down before breaking in general

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
If by fixed you mean a nonretractible screen that is going to stay permanently in place all the time, it seems to be pretty easy to figure out a sturdy floor standing posts to attach the screen to -- either 2 vertical posts (heavy wood or steel) or 2 vertical posts and a horizontal top post -- the latter would seem to allow for better tensioning and stability. If it's truly fixed/semi permanent then something custom made, but very simple would make sense. It also seems it would be easy enough to add masking or decorative material to fit into the room decor. I could easily imagine some sort of retractible screen would work and nothing attached to the ceiling or walls.

Is it a dedicated Media Room or a multi-use room esp with kids/pets/windows/doors etc

If it needs to be movable (out of the way when not in use) then it gets more complicated
A lot depends on how wide the room is and what you want it to look like when not in use.

ng4ever

Agent
Real Name
Tim
If you just need a screen that is going to stay in the same place all the time, it seems to be pretty easy to figure out a sturdy floor standing posts to attach the screen to -- either 2 vertical posts (heavy wood or steel) or 2 vertical posts and a horizontal top post. If it's truly fixed/semi permanent then something custom made would make sense. It seems it would be simple enough to add masking or decorative material to fit into the room decor. I could easily imagine some sort of retracible screen would work. Nothing attache to the ceiling or walls. Is it a dedicated Media Room or a multi-use room esp with kids/pets/windows/doors etc

If it needs to be movable then it gets more complicated though
A lot depends on how wide the room is and what you want it to look like when not in use.
Cool. It has pets two cats but they mostly are ok with new stuff.

Not really a dedicated theater room but it is ok still want a fixed frame sense it is better quality material and picture with one. At least I think.

Room is 10’-6” x 11’-6”

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Hmmm... too bad they don't offer one significantly bigger than my 120" or I might consider it for my own current setup (though I'm not completely sure offhand my setup's throw range can allow quite that much bigger) -- actually, they don't seem to go quite as big as 120" (for 16x9) either.

_Man_

ng4ever

Agent
Real Name
Tim
Hmmm... too bad they don't offer one significantly bigger than my 120" or I might consider it for my own current setup (though I'm not completely sure offhand my setup's throw range can allow quite that much bigger) -- actually, they don't seem to go quite as big as 120" (for 16x9) either.

_Man_
They don’t sadly

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

_Man_

Check out series 1 - the series 2 models I linked to have a scissor backing and the size of that mechanism limits the possible screen size. The series 1 models use straight rods instead for the backing and come in larger sizes. They take slightly longer to set up (2 minutes instead of 30 seconds) but if size is important you can go bigger in that line.

If money is no object there’s yet another line that has an electric mechanism to stand up and retract via a motor rather than pulling up by hand.

ng4ever

Agent
Real Name
Tim
Check out series 1 - the series 2 models I linked to have a scissor backing and the size of that mechanism limits the possible screen size. The series 1 models use straight rods instead for the backing and come in larger sizes. They take slightly longer to set up (2 minutes instead of 30 seconds) but if size is important you can go bigger in that line.

If money is no object there’s yet another line that has an electric mechanism to stand up and retract via a motor rather than pulling up by hand.

Yep.

There a huge disadvantage of that though.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Just took a quick look at the other options.

Seems there are a fair amount of complaints about the (original?) series 1 version that allows larger screens w/ the adjustable single rod behind, particularly for damages upon arrival (but not only that)... and seemingly being very expensive to ship for return, if that's not covered by the dealer. I guess probably best to buy it w/ guarantees (including free returns) from Amazon or something, if going that route (unless the dealer or a Elite warehouse/rep is local to you). They are also fairly expensive, far beyond what I paid for my YardMaster 2 (at least currently anyway).

Offhand, their other option of the QuickStand line for even larger screens (no smaller than 150") seems substantially better and possibly more reliable/sturdy (and much more like the ezCinema 2) and seems less prone to shipping damages (again, based on Amazon reviews/feedback)... and not tremendously more expensive (again, at least currently) given how much the ezCinema series 1 version already costs (currently in the circa $1K ballpark).

I can't really justify their costs for my use case to replace/upgrade from my 120" setup though... and well, definitely can't fit the 150" size of the QuickStand line anyway. But if I really have the space for the 150" QuickStand and need something like it, definitely worth considering me thinks -- and yes, definitely get it from somewhere w/ fairly easy, free returns/replacement (at least in case you need it replaced).

Maybe one of these options could work for the OP though, if he can ascertain that he receives one in perfect, satisfying condition, etc (or can actually use a 150"-plus screen in the case of the QuickStand line)...

I didn't look at the electric options since they're probably even more expensive, but if the OP can afford more (and can justify it for his particular overall HT setup), probably worth checking out...

_Man_

Last edited:

ng4ever

Agent
Real Name
Tim
I can get the 150" electric one for $100 something dollars but do not want it. Too big. Plus waves.

It will break too within 2 1/2 years or more.

People keep telling me a fixed frame screen is the way to go because it is higher quality and cheaper.

ng4ever

Agent
Real Name
Tim
If they made a portable tab tension screen with high quality material that was not $20,000 then maybe I would still go portable route.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
People keep telling me a fixed frame screen is the way to go because it is higher quality and cheaper.

Well, there's no doubt of that... but then you threw in that sticky/tricky requirement that makes installation an essential non-starter... unless you go w/ some kinda (largely) fixed stand instead, which is basically what I did -- although my screen/stand is portable (enough), I just leave it fixed in my current, makeshift setup... and it's quite inexpensive, especially compared to all the discussed (non-DIY) options.

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twinkletoes
Recent bookmarks