What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Borderlands (2024)

Alex...

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex Czaplicki
Title: Borderlands (live-action adaptation)

Genre: Action, Science Fiction, Comedy, Adventure

Director: Eli Roth

Cast: Cate Blanchett, Kevin Hart, Jamie Lee Curtis, Jack Black, Haley Bennett, Ariana Greenblatt, Edgar Ramírez, Florian Munteanu, Janina Gavankar, Gina Gershon, Cheyenne Jackson, Charles Babalola, Benjamin Byron Davis, Steven Boyer, Ryann Redmond, Bobby Lee, Olivier Richters

Release: 2024

Plot: After returning to her home-planet Pandora, infamous outlaw, Lilith, is given a dangerous mission and forms an alliance (and potential friendship) with other criminals; including former mercenary Roland, demolitionst Tiny Tina and her protector Krieg, insane scientist Tannis, and the wisecracking robot Claptrap. The mission: find and protect the missing (and important) daughter of a very powerful man named Atlas. Although, things may not be as they seem, as the girl holds the key to great power, one that can change the fate of the entire universe.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Another Pandora? Can't anyone come up with unique names for planets?

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Another Pandora? Can't anyone come up with unique names for planets?

Apparently, this is based on a video game that was created in 2009, the same year that Avatar was released. Just seems to be one of those pesky co-ink-a-dinks.

On edit: Just looked further. The video game was apparently released a couple of months before Avatar.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Films and games have such long development cycles that it can be difficult to say who is cribbing who, but the origin of the name Pandora dates back around 2,700 years. The myth of Pandora's box can be applied to both franchises (although in the case of Borderlands more so in the followup games in the series.)

I've played tons of Borderlands' games over the years, so it will be interesting to see how the film treats the series. I imagine that Jack Black will be voicing Clap-Trap ( a very mouthy and at times annoying robot who acts like a guide to the player and introduces some of the game mechanics. )

- Walter.

Alex...

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex Czaplicki
First look

4Pd5hcB2

spshultz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Ratzen
I haven't played the game and really don't know anything about it, but, this movie looks fun. Got a definite GotG vibe to it and I'm ok with that.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I am a huge fan of the BL games and am looking forward to this. I must say I am surprised they went with more "seasoned" actors for most of the main characters. Interesting choice. The trailer gave me hope that they seemed to get the humor in the games. I am a little disappointed that they didn't use the Claptrap voice artist used in the game. I know Jack Black will probably do great, but it was a little weird hearing clappy sound different.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I hope the film turns out better than that trailer. It just looked and sounded like a GotG clone, instead of its own thing.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I hope the film turns out better than that trailer. It just looked and sounded like a GotG clone, instead of its own thing.

Given that we won't likely be seeing any more GotG films, having something with the same vibe is not necessarily a bad thing. Assuming that this movie isn't a piece of shit. My reaction to the trailer was basically, "This will either be really good or really bad." I was actually surprised that my wife happened to see the trailer on her own, and said, "That looks like fun!"

If nothing else, it looks like Blanchett is having more fun than she did playing Hela in Thor: Ragnarok. I wasn't sure that would be possible.

Alex...

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex Czaplicki
Cinemacon footage descript

The footage opens with the team bickering in a car before being splashed with "pisswater." Jack Black's robot character asks what a sense of smell is. The team proceeds to carry out a mission with Jack Black's robotic character driving the car. "Yay for not dying," he says. Ariana Greenblatt shows off a massive weapon saying "Mine's bigger!" The trailer turns to a montage set to "Come Sail Away." Kevin Hart says "worst orgy ever." Ariana Greenblatt says "time to make it rain...with your body parts!" It ends with a stinger where Jack Black crushes a flower that has grown in a dark cave before cutting to the logo

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.