What's new
World Wide Stereo

Broken Receiver (1 Viewer)

@Wolf

Auditioning
Real Name
Vinny
My 2nd receiver in two years is partially broken. It won't play HDMI video, but audio is fine. Either the HDMI out is broken... or all of the HDMI in... or all of the above. I have outdoor speakers wired to the receiver for playing music and it works fine, but, on rare occasions, I would like to switch over to output a video source (e.g. TV, DVD) to the receiver and watch movies on a movie screen outside by the pool. As I said, this is my 2nd receiver in two years where the HDMI video has failed and I'm tired or purchasing new receivers. Is there a workaround for me to get video from the receiver without purchasing a new receiver again? Perhaps if I use a RCA to HDMI converter? Could I use DVD HDMI IN to receiver and RCA video out from receiver to converter and HDMI from converter to projector? Thanks for any advice!!

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Hi Vinny, welcome to HTF!

I'd start with looking for an external HDMI switch like this one: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=30919.

You can use that in place of your receiver to swap video.

Your receiver may have a bad HDMI board. A local electronics shop can likely repair it for ~$100, but it's not usually worth it.

I am going to take a wild guess and assume you have an Onkyo, Denon or similar receiver? I've unfortunately found this to be a recurring theme with these brands lately, and am steering folks towards other manufacturers for that reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks