What's new
World Wide Stereo

Building new house looking for recommendation on a HIGH end setup (1 Viewer)

gl4662

Agent
Real Name
John
What I have Now:

Model SBS-01 5.0 Set Black (#SBS-01-5.0-black): 1
Item Total: $599.00

Model 2039PCPlus (#2039PCPlus): 1
Item Total: $899.00

Sanus Speaker Stands 31" Black (#sanus-ss-31-black): 2
Item Total: $109.90

Onkyo TX-SR606 7.1 Channel Home Theater Receiver (Black)

So, In July my parents are building a new house, and they are interested in setting up a Nice home theatre area. Hopefully I can find a few recommendations here for what they want

Does the size of the room matter?

Does it need to be a closed off room from the rest of the basement?

What is a good screen for 150 and Up inches?

What is a good projector for 1080p that will be run with my PS3

What kind of room does it need to be (acoustic?)

My parents arent so into home theatre that theyd need all the acoustic wall packaging, but they definitely want a great set up for the basement. As I have no experience doing this, if anyone would know, does the house builder bring in people that would be good at setting up home theatre rooms or would this have to be done on my own time? Any recommendations of the set up, products or a point in the right direction would be great, thank you. Also, please let me know if more information is required, I apologize in advance but with coordinating the house construction i do have much on my mind, so please let me knw if i missed something, thank you!!

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
1. Yes. It should be large enough to fit the number of seats your parents want while still having room to walk. If they haven't figured out the seating they want, they need to more clearly state their goals.

2. Yes. Without it closed off, you will need more/larger subs to pressurize the room.

3. I'm a fan of DIY. You can build a screen in a weekend. I auditioned a few screens in the $1,000 and up range locally and none impressed me when I factored in the price. I built mine and showed my wife. She thought it was as good as the others we looked at. She was thrilled when I told her I spent $75 on it.

4. Check out the projector and display section below. I've enjoyed my Panasonic for years and would go with a newer model without question. All will handle a PS3.

5. I'm not sure what you mean by an "acoustic room". You can use acoustic panels to tame reflections. Heavy drapes and large furniture will do the same.

It is really what you want to pay for and how your contractor works. My electrician didn't even want to run satellite cable so he put the drops where I asked and I ran about a mile of RG-6 and speaker wire over a weekend. At least I knew it was done right. I could have used a theater store near by as a consultant and they would have pre-wired but that wasn't in my budget. I planned my system and wired it on a piece of paper.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
What do you consider HIGH end?

To me, high end means great sound and video. If I was doing a high end setup, I would size the room large enough to place all the seating in the inner 75%. This would allow me to place 4 subs in the corners and get flat, powerful bass for all my seats. This means making the room a bit bigger and buying 4 subs.

Jonathan Burk

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Burk
Are you looking for HIGH end on a budget? Or HIGH end cost-is-no-object?

If there is a budget (even just a ball-park), let us know. Also post the room dimensions.

Without knowing the budget, but assuming there is one, I would suggest:

- The best Denon or Onkyo receiver you can afford (and is appropriate for the room and system demands)

- The best Aperion , Ascend or AV123 speakers you can afford (and are appropriate for the room). If you need to save money, consider monoprice in-wall speakers for the rear speakers, and spend more on the front speakers.

-Definitely consider 2 subwoofers. If it's a smaller room, 2 smaller subwoofers (with good location and setup) might be better than one mega-subwoofer. You'll get smoother response across the seating area.

- A Blu-ray player for the source.

- Decide if you want rear-projection or front-projection or flat-panel for the monitor. Then go big!

- Figure out your room dimensions and layout, then contact GIK acoustics for advice on room treatments. Also, make sure your receiver has Audyssey MultEQ XT.

- Figure out if 3D will ever be in their future, and make sure the receiver is compatible with HDMI 1.4, and the Blu-ray and TV are both 3D capable.

Good luck!

gl4662

Agent
Real Name
John
Thank you all for the replys.

My parents want the set up to be in the basement, and also be part of the basement. Ideally they wouldn't want a seperate room, they more so want a big room that is also like a family hang out room that has the home theatre capabilites.

There isn't a budget, we just want to set it up as best as we can. The basement will have some windows too, but as for daytime watching the windows are going to be electrochromic, so we will have the ability to black out the windows.

They are not audiophiles that need to have perfect sound, they just want a nice set up with a BIG screen, great sounds for an open room, and great resolution for the screen.

I was asking about the screen because I have a pulldown personally and I cannot get my projector to center on the screen, so would a fixed screen be best?

Rear projection vs front projection vs flat panel

what is the difference here? where will they get the best picture?

The way they want to set up the wall that the screen will be on is to have the wall build out of stone with a recessed area where the screen will sit in, with a ribbon fireplace under neath it. So I am not sure they want a traditional HT room, rather a more modern relaxed one that would fit there needs.

Please advise! thank you!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunday Billy
Recent bookmarks