What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Civil War (2024)

Alex...

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex Czaplicki
Title: Civil War (2024)

Genre: Science Fiction, Drama, Thriller

Director: Alex Garland

Cast: Kirsten Dunst, Wagner Moura, Stephen McKinley Henderson, Cailee Spaeny, Karl Glusman, Sonoya Mizuno, Jefferson White, Jared Shaw, Alexa Mansour, Justin Garza, Melissa Saint-Amand, Jojo T. Gibbs, Juani Feliz, Nelson Lee, Jeff Bosley, Brian Matney, James Yaegashi, Joe Manuel Gallegos Jr., Greg Hill, Justin James Boykin, Xavier Miles, Cora Maple Lindell, Brent Moorer Gaskins, Brian Philpot, Petey Nguyễn, Simeon Freeman, Christopher Cocke, Jess Matney, Tywaun Tornes, Ryan Austin Bryant, Lauren Marie Gordon, Kevin Howell, Robert Tinsley, Jaclyn White

Release: 2024-07-04

Plot: A new action epic set in a near-future America from Alex Garland.

Alex...

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex Czaplicki
GAwB7jvW4AEigtO

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
They forgot to mention Men on the poster.
Well, they probably figure you should never mention films where a guy crawls out of another guys ass and especially when it happens more than once in that film. Birthing by bum can be done but not discussed later and certainly not put on a poster.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
It would be intriguing to see what caused the civil war and why CA and TX are on the same team.

Maybe the 2 states team up against a common enemy, like Godzilla and Kong did.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
TX and CA on the same side? Suspension of disbelief blown for this movie.
Yeah, you can tell that Garland isn't American with that detail. In the case of the Union crumbling, Texas returning to being an independent republic seems the most probable outcome. But California and Texas on the same side is just about the least plausible outcome.

It would be intriguing to see what caused the civil war and why CA and TX are on the same team.

Maybe the 2 states team up against a common enemy, like Godzilla and Kong did.
Between the reference in the trailer to journalists being shot on sight in the District of Columbia and promotional materials referencing Nick Offerman's president as being in his third term, it seems likely that there is a fascist regime in the White House.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Not to get into the weeds of forum rules here, but there are large swaths of CA that are pretty conservative. Their current reputation is mostly due to the large coastal cities and Hollywood. Maybe there's a major earthquake that drops the coast into the ocean leaving the more rural parts. Then it wouldn't be so far-fetched.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Alex Garland always gets a ticket from me. I haven’t seen the trailer yet and I’m ok if I don’t - I don’t mind walking into his films with no idea of what to expect.

Last week @Sam Posten invited me onto his HTF podcast to talk about films we thought were under appreciated, and Sunshine (Garland’s script with Danny Boyle’s direction) was my pick, while @JohnRice selected another Garland screenplay, his adaptation of Never Let Me Go. That was a fun conversation and I’m glad we’ll soon have another film of his to discuss.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I have no desire whatsoever to see this film.
That's fine. The mods are watching this for political statements tho. Tread lightly all. Even speculation on the motivations of 'traditionally' red and blue state teamups are probably off limits.

We mean it.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Last week @Sam Posten invited me onto his HTF podcast to talk about films we thought were under appreciated, and Sunshine (Garland’s script with Danny Boyle’s direction) was my pick, while @JohnRice selected another Garland screenplay, his adaptation of Never Let Me Go. That was a fun conversation and I’m glad we’ll soon have another film of his to discuss.
I have an uneven appreciation for Garland, I like some of his stuff, and dig that he is up for going full weird. I saw this trailer this morning tho and immediately spider senses were alerted. I hope it doesn't attract the negative attention I fear, and I personally want to keep that drama far far far from HTF.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassidylhorne
Recent bookmarks