What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Dan August – The Complete Collection (1 Viewer)

bronson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adrian
Just received the set. The good news first: all the episodes, including the telefilm House on Greenapple look great. The telefilm runs an hour and 53 minutes. So it seems to be uncut. On the downside, the hour episodes run between 49 and 50 minutes. For a series from 1970, this means these episodes are probably cut by approximately 5 minutes each. Someone correct me if I’m wrong.

That´s baloney. The episodes of "The Streets of San Francisco" were 48 minutes long, "Cannon" also. The episodes were never 53 minutes long. 5 minutes cut? Never!

Therefore I presume the "Dan August" episodes are uncut.

Jimmyr1960

Agent
Real Name
Jim
That´s baloney. The episodes of "The Streets of San Francisco" were 48 minutes long, "Cannon" also. The episodes were never 53 minutes long. 5 minutes cut? Never!

Therefore I presume the "Dan August" episodes are uncut.
Yep. Corrected myself in the very next post. I’ve watched 3 episodes and they are uncut.

bronson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adrian
Yep. Corrected myself in the very next post. I’ve watched 3 episodes and they are uncut.

Jimmy, can you be more precisely About the Picture Quality?

"Hawaii Five 0", Streets of San Francisco" were remastered in HD, so I guess the Picture Quality is not as good as These two series.
But If I´m not mistaken the Picture quality of "Dan August" is much better than "Barnaby Jones" or "Cannon", right?

Jimmyr1960

Agent
Real Name
Jim
Jimmy, can you be more precisely About the Picture Quality?

"Hawaii Five 0", Streets of San Francisco" were remastered in HD, so I guess the Picture Quality is not as good as These two series.
But If I´m not mistaken the Picture quality of "Dan August" is much better than "Barnaby Jones" or "Cannon", right?
Definitely better the Cannon and Barnaby Jones. Not up to the gold standard of Five 0, Mission Impossible, Mannix and Streets. But not much below those in picture quality. August looks great!

Jimmyr1960

Agent
Real Name
Jim
4 discs for 26 episodes ?
That means 6 respectively 7 episodes per disc and you say the picture quality is excellent?

How do you know that the picture quality is excellent?

It´s going to come out in 2 weeks.
Ordered it from VEI the day it was announced. They shipped it within a few days. Got it in about a week. VEI shipping early ahead of the street date.

bronson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adrian
Jimmy, thanks for the information. Do you know by any chance whether VEI ship to Europe?

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Just placed my order about an hour ago and I have already received a shipping notice. Not bad for something not available until December 7th.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
That Cannon is next to unwatchable to me!

I like the Cannon complete series DVD set. The episodes are uncut and they aren't remastered so they have a cool/retro/1970's look to them which enhances the viewing experience and I like it.

I probably won't be getting the Dan August DVD's, I'm not a Burt Reynolds fan and I'd rather see Norman Fell in Three's Company, not in a detective show.

Both seasons of Harry O are available on DVD, this is something I'd like to have and it's on my Christmas gift wish list this year.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee

I do have to say that on the DVD's of Cannon, most episodes are in the 49-50 minute range but there are also a few that are in the 52-53 minute range. Episodes are uncut but for whatever reason the run times vary a little.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I like the Cannon complete series DVD set. The episodes are uncut and they aren't remastered so they have a cool/retro/1970's look to them which enhances the viewing experience and I like it.

That's a great point, and right in line with how I've felt about M Squad: now as you put it that way, I might consider getting more into it.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
That's a great point, and right in line with how I've felt about M Squad: now as you put it that way, I might consider getting more into it.

Yes, that unremastered/retro look can sometimes be a cool thing.

Back in the 1980's when I lived in Chicago, I recorded a bunch of East Side Kids and Bowery Boys movies from WGN. The airings were sourced from old 16mm prints and they have that cool, retro look to them. I still have these and watch them once in a while.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin

I probably won't be getting the Dan August DVD's, I'm not a Burt Reynolds fan and I'd rather see Norman Fell in Three's Company, not in a detective show.

Both seasons of Harry O are available on DVD, this is something I'd like to have and it's on my Christmas gift wish list this year.
I agree. Sometimes remastering isn't always a good thing. I know: some look over-restored, like the 2006 and later prints of the classic Star Trek DVD sets (read: unnecessary CGI after-effects in some scenes).

~Ben

Last edited:

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
The big question will be: How is the picture quality?
I expect that it will be only a little better than the William Conrad series at the time and we all know that it wasn´t remastered after all.

Did you watch it when GET ran them all? That's the picture quality. They are old one-inch tapes digitized.

bronson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adrian

Not a Burt Reynolds fan?
Never heard that before.

bronson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adrian
The set must have "compression issues". I mean 27 episodes on 4 discs.

That means 6 or 7 episodes per disc. That´s too much episodes per disc.

But I wait until I get the set.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin

But I wait until I get the set.
Yes, without compression the number of discs would, in this case, be 7. Had this been a 7-disc set, the last 6 episodes would be placed on a single double-sided disc (3 episodes per side).

Disc 1 - pilot "House on Greenapple Road" (2 hours) and episodes 1-2
Disc 2 - episodes 3-6
Disc 3 - episodes 7-10
Disc 4 - episodes 11-14
Disc 5 - episodes 15-18
Disc 6 - episodes 19-22
Disc 7 - episodes 23-28 (on a double-sided disc)

~Ben

Last edited:

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee

Probably a cost cutting decision by VEI to cram everything on to four discs. Seven discs would be better.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChiChi0010
Recent bookmarks