What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Matt Hough

Gog 3D Blu-ray Review

gogtop.jpg

Rampaging robots and a sinister saboteur keep things hopping in the Golden Age 3D adventure Gog. Produced by the renowned Ivan Tors and brought back from near-oblivion by the 3-D Film Archive, Gog may not be tops in drama or action, but it’s a fun sci-fi adventure tale that can now take its place with the other classic 1950s 3D efforts which are slowly but surely returning to the hearts and minds of fans who appreciate them.

[review]
Read more.

Last edited:

JeffT.

Deceased Member
Screen-Shot-2012-08-08-at-11.44.15-AM.png

Well GOG (1954) has certainly been well covered in this particular discussion forum but from the standpoint of the early 1950s it is interesting to (nostalgically) observe the preparation and speculative conception of the technical requirements mandated for Space travel.

The hazardous parabolic mirror-like device depicted is somewhat dated with the latter advent of the more sophisticated laser beam (in 1960) but overall as an elementary primer for things to come GOG (1954) like all of Mr. Tors' SF-premised works (including SCIENCE FICTION THEATRE) are always worthwhile and (highly) entertaining viewing indeed.

Ivan Tors (very much like his contemporary and fellow Hungarian countryman George Pal) did not view these films as fiction in the slightest and the emphasis was always on "practical" science extending the boundaries of current knowledge into its achievably furthest frontiers.

Ironically those of us living in the 21st Century are the future that was imagined back in the 1950s.

Jeff T.

:)

Last edited:

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Just last week bought a Epson 6040 and a Sammy K8500 and just watched this...boy, was it flat. No 3D depth. I ran 8 3Ders before and after and they all looked great.

Was there a problem with this one bringing it to BD?

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
Yeah, my GOG BD has plenty of outstanding 3D depth. You might have received a defective disc, John (it happened to me with My Bloody Valentine) -- or you might want to re-check that you didn't miss a step in playback.

I'm so happy with GOG that I watched it again yesterday for the 5th time in as many months of owning it.

A*P*E, on the other hand, I could barely get thru once....

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Just last week bought a Epson 6040 and a Sammy K8500 and just watched this...boy, was it flat. No 3D depth. I ran 8 3Ders before and after and they all looked great.

Was there a problem with this one bringing it to BD?
As you can see from my review, I was very impressed with the 3d depth, separations, and pop-out (and that was viewing it on an active plasma set; I suspect the passive 3D that I have now would be even more impressive), so I suspect something is wrong with your set-up. Either the set isn't getting the 3D signal and it's opting to show the 2D instead, or your player is having trouble transmitting the 3D images.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Well, I just played it in the den using Passive glasses and it looks GREAT! But flat in the HT with Active glasses.

Remember, I played 8 3Ders before and after and they all played great.

When it plays, the projector says it's in 3D, but it looks flat.

I'll try it again tomorrow and I hope I have better luck with it...or back to Amazon it goes!!!

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Bob Cashill told me to start the movie from the chapters, not from start...AND IT WORKED!!! Movie looks great, now a happy camper!

3D Projectionist

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Lenny
Such a great shame KINO opted to make this Region A only playable unlike its other offerings quite disappointing and I guess that's why the price is dropping. For a fairly narrow 3D market place I believe this may be quite a mistake to make.
Received my disc and suppose I can enjoy looking at the box and keep wondering what the 3D actually looked like :-(

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Such a great shame KINO opted to make this Region A only playable unlike its other offerings quite disappointing and I guess that's why the price is dropping. For a fairly narrow 3D market place I believe this may be quite a mistake to make.
Received my disc and suppose I can enjoy looking at the box and keep wondering what the 3D actually looked like :-(

If it's region-locked, it's because of a contractual deal with the studio that Kino licensed it from; in the case of Gog, that's MGM.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I hate to tell people to buy new equipment because it doesn't necessarily seem fair that the people who love films the most should have to pay extra on everything, but if you're a fan of 3D at home (and classic film in general, for that matter), I can't recommend a region-free player highly enough. As different studios in different territories begin reducing or eliminating their support for 3D, it's going to be necessary to import titles from a variety of places while they're still available. It's the same for a lot of classic 2D films, with some titles getting releases in some regions, and other films coming out in different ones.

The vast majority of titles in my collection are from the region I live in, but some of the most "important" discs have been imported from other regions out of necessity.

There are good region-free modded players that can be had for far less than what an Oppo costs, and well worth looking into, in my opinion. It sucks to have to shell out for that extra expense, but the results are worth it.

3D Projectionist

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Lenny
And finally got to see my 3D BR of GOG up on the big screen, my goodness it was superb and with so much great work done restoring it from the film materials available. The 3D Film Archive have done great work here and deserve much congratulating, so very well done one and all. We watched the interviews a couple of times on the disc and they really do show the dedication and enthusiasm to make this resto happen and they did.

At the end of our GOG evening we asked the question, where is robot GOG now, fingers crossed he survives?

When I watch these gems from 3D's golden years I realise what a privilege it is to see them particularly looking and sounding so good. Its pretty obvious the Blu-Ray restored 3D issues are probably far superior to many a cinema screening back in the day and a real joy to see again and again.

Thank you 3D Film Archive for the continuing excellent work you undertake, its very much appreciated over this side of the pond.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuperMarty88
Recent bookmarks