What's new
World Wide Stereo

HDMI Cable Rec please! (1 Viewer)

John G

Agent
I have an incoming LG CX and Denon S960H and could use a HDMI cable recommendation please!

I don't want to break the bank but don't want to go el-cheapo for an inferior product either. From what I understand i would need cables rated for 2.1, 120hz and eARC..?

Last edited:
Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I have had very good success with just the simple, inexpensive cables that Amazon sells under their AmazonBasics line. If you have to do a long cable run (more than 25 feet) my recommendation might be different but under that, you’ll be fine with something that doesn’t break the bank.

edit: the Monoprice brand that John Rice linked to above is also a great choice at very reasonable prices.

John G

Agent
Thanks gents appreciate it.

With the refresh rate listed at 4k/120hz for the TV and receiver, wouldn't a 4k@60hz cable be less than ideal?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The refresh rate is a completely different deal. It has nothing to do with the scan rate of the signal coming in. A 120hz refresh rate simply scans the image multiple times. The main benefit of a 120hz refresh rate is that it can reproduce both 24hz (film) and 30hz (video) sources at their native rate.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I use the Monoprice cables that @JohnRice recommended for all my HDMI connections -- including 4 different 4K playback devices and two 4K displays. They work fine, so there is no reason to spend more money. I did receive one bad cable from them, but they shipped me a replacement quickly and did not require me to return the defective one.

If you are an Amazon Prime member, search for them at Amazon, as well. Monoprice cables may be less expensive there when you take into account the free shipping at Amazon. It's been awhile since I have compared pricing.

SeanAx

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean Axmaker
I just purchased a 4K TV and was wondering what cable upgrades I needed. This thread answered my questions. Thanks!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I just purchased a 4K TV and was wondering what cable upgrades I needed. This thread answered my questions. Thanks!
It really is pretty simple. For all flavors of 4K, HDR including DV, you need 18Gb Certified. I did as a lot of others about a year ago, and just went ahead and replaced my myriad of hdmi cables, all of them, with the Monoprice 18Gb ones I linked above. If I was doing that today, I'd probably go ahead and get the 48Gb ones, but they weren't around when I did that and it's debatable if/when I will ever actually need those.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I have had very good success with just the simple, inexpensive cables that Amazon sells under their AmazonBasics line.
I have found that AmazonBasics HDMI cable lengths greater than 6ft will occasionally have handshake issues, so bear that in mind. If I need anything greater then 6ft, I'll go with Monoprice or MediaBridge.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I have found that AmazonBasics HDMI cable lengths greater than 6ft will occasionally have handshake issues, so bear that in mind. If I need anything greater then 6ft, I'll go with Monoprice or MediaBridge.

Good to know! I only have 3ft and 6ft lengths from Amazon in my setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks