What's new

I want more D-Theater!!! (1 Viewer)

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
Just chiming in with my .02 here. This isn't a discussion of technological merits, so bear with me.
The biggest problem, as someone here has already said, is the studios. They are the stumbling block between the best presentation at home and the original film. DVHS is (for now at least) a niche format, but almost all the titles are going to be blockbusters. Will there be Criterion Collection DVHS? More versions of Night of the Living Dead or Blade Runner? Probably not. For every quality DVHS title like Fight Club, we'll be getting a U-571, or Ice Age. But we'll probably never see Yojimbo on DVHS, or North by Northwest, or even Y Tu Mama Tambien. For me, no amount of visual beauty will make a bad film watchable. Of course, that's my personal opinion.
It's recordable? That's great, but how many times do you think HD channels will air director's cuts, or DD5.1 at reasonable bitrates, let alone DTS? It's great and all that DVHS is supposed to be helping to further HD, but I don't see it really doing that. If studios are worried about reference quality recordings of their materials, think of the networks. I can see it now:
Network exec: "You mean you can skip the commercials after the first viewing?"
DVHS makers: "Uh, yeah, but the consumers will get better picture and sound."
Exec: "But they can skip the commercials?!"
DVHS: "But you can help advance new technologies!"
Exec: "Tell me again what percentage of people have HDTV. And remember the commercials."
And so on. I for one lament the fact that I'd have to spend $1K+ for the opportunity to record C.S.I. or the Sopranos at their best. Sure, if you got the cash burnin' a hole in your pocket, spend away. But Joe Sixpack will take one look at the price tag for a DVHS player plus HDTV, and go straight to the DVDs. The most important thing about DVD is that it worked on widespread existing technology. There was a noticeable difference whether you had a 19" tube or 50" RPTV or 100" projector. But only those with certain technologies (i.e. HDTV) will ever see a difference with DVHS. It's market forces that drive the formats, not just the quality of the presentation.
As an HT enthusiast, I would love to see the best come out on top. And I have no doubts as to the quality of DVHS, though I don't know about durability. But as a cynic, I can't see the juggernaut of economics working in our favor on this front.
Sorry if I went on a tangent, but I just figured it would be pointless for me to weigh in on the techie side of things.
*ADDENDUM* To prove my point on the kinds of titles coming out:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...17#post1091117
I like some blockbusters as good as the next guy, but this reads like the movie shelf at a frat house. Feel free to flame me for being a movie snob.

Mattias_ka

Supporting Actor
I'm totally mystified by those who fear a tape based medium. It seems to me that they may have bought into the "optical" hype started back with the launch of the CD back in 1983. And it would also appear that everyone but me has a shelf of VHS tapes that are caked in oxide dust as they disintegreate in to powder after 2 or 3 viewings. I have a couple VHS tapes that my kids have watched dozens of times, and other than the fact that they're VHS, they look fine to me. And isn't the durablility of these tapes fairly easy to test? Aren't there established standards for play-cycle testing for tape?

I agree with you!! I have collect VHS tapes for nearly 20 years. I have had and have a lot of old tapes. I have 100's of x-rentals from 80-83 (that over 20 years old!!) and they are in perfect shape after a LOT of use during the years. Ok, I have also gotten and have tapes that are not in perfect shape, but is it the tapes fault that they was used in a bad VHS player?? Of course not, as same as the DVD I have that don't work because I drop it so it got scratched.

I also wonder if people don't look at movies like me. I ONLY see a movie from the beginning to the end. Jumping from a chapter to another is NOT viewing a movie.

-Mattias-

Christopher a

Stunt Coordinator
"For instance, its hard for me to enjoy watching a video tape today because of the audio quality."

Brennan, I assume your referring to regular VHS on this statement. The audio quality on DVHS is vastly superior to DVD, tape based or not.

Chris

Christopher a

Stunt Coordinator
To add to my last statement, DVHS is superior audio-wise when it comes to Dolby Digital. Lots of people seem to think that video is more important...and in a way I agree. Let's just not forget that DVHS wins on the video and audio side. And I don't think it takes a
$100,000 reference system to reveal the differences.

Chris

Joe Reed

Stunt Coordinator
Hi guys, I have a few questions about DVHS, I was once the "I got my dvd I don't want a tape format again" person, but I have seen T-2 on a DVHS player, and although it is not the best DVHS movies it was still better than its dvd counterpart. I don't really care about commentaries, or extras on dvhs because if it also comes out on dvd most likely I will buy it on both formats, it is only $20 for a dvd not too much money nowadays. My question is do DVHS players have to be hooked through a firewire port, or can they be run through component cables, right now I have a Sony 51" widescreen rptv, and will also be purchasing either the 45" lcd panny pt-45lc12 or the 50" sony grand wega, so I would like to buy a DVHS player. Also can I record this way or do I need to hook it up through a firewire port to record.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alianalbuck
Recent bookmarks