What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Inside WB's condensed Flintstones all-in-one... (1 Viewer)

Mark Y

Screenwriter
Okay, so I will curb my indignation for now. :laugh:

I checked it out. The episode where Pebbles and Bamm-Bamm sing the song as part of the storyline is #141 ("No Biz Like Show Biz"). On the Season 6 DVD set, the episode has the usual "Meet The Flintstones" closing.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
So, is it possible that's the way it was then? That it was never on the end credits of that episode, but when the 45 came out, they popped the song on to exploit it?

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
I checked it out. The episode where Pebbles and Bamm-Bamm sing the song as part of the storyline is #141 ("No Biz Like Show Biz"). On the Season 6 DVD set, the episode has the usual "Meet The Flintstones" closing.

Does this mean that episode 141 is incorrect on the DVD? Is the episode supposed to have the closing titles with Pebbles & Bamm Bamm? Or is the "Meet The Flintstones" closing titles correct?

This makes me wonder, when season 6 first aired in 1965-66, which episodes originally had the closing titles with Pebbles & Bamm Bamm? On the DVD set, episode 153 and 156 have the Pebbles & Bamm Bamm version, the others have the Meet The Flintstones version. But I don't know if this is correct or not. When season 6 originally aired, I would like to know which episodes had the Pebbles & Bamm Bamm closing and which episodes had the Meet The Flintstones closing.

Mark Y

Screenwriter
Does this mean that episode 141 is incorrect on the DVD? Is the episode supposed to have the closing titles with Pebbles & Bamm Bamm? Or is the "Meet The Flintstones" closing titles correct?

This makes me wonder, when season 6 first aired in 1965-66, which episodes originally had the closing titles with Pebbles & Bamm Bamm? On the DVD set, episode 153 and 156 have the Pebbles & Bamm Bamm version, the others have the Meet The Flintstones version. But I don't know if this is correct or not. When season 6 originally aired, I would like to know which episodes had the Pebbles & Bamm Bamm closing and which episodes had the Meet The Flintstones closing.

I don't know either. The original Flintstones series ended in 1966. I was born in 1967. When I saw them, they were in reruns on Channel 9 (and later Channel 32) in Chicago.

I know "Seeing Doubles" had the "Sunshine" closing in syndication in the 1970s/1980s and it said the episode was written by George O'Hanlon.

Now, if someone has copies of the ABC network versions of the relevant episodes, maybe these questions could be answered.

At least in the case of "Seeing Doubles," there clearly were two versions of the closing, with the same text over different backgrounds.

This is not unique for Hanna-Barbera; the same occurred for Atom Ant, Secret Squirrel and The Adventures Of Gulliver when they were syndicated as part of The Banana Splits And Friends Show. The original credits were superimposed over the Banana Splits footage, including the misspelling of "animation" as "aimation" for AA/SS.

Back to the Flintstones, in the pre-Cartoon Network days, the shows of the first two seasons were syndicated with "Meet The Flintstones" instead of "Rise And Shine." They just took one opening and closing (IIRC from the first show of the third season) and repeated it on every show in the first two seasons.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
I don't know either. The original Flintstones series ended in 1966. I was born in 1967. When I saw them, they were in reruns on Channel 9 (and later Channel 32) in Chicago.

I know "Seeing Doubles" had the "Sunshine" closing in syndication in the 1970s/1980s and it said the episode was written by George O'Hanlon.

Now, if someone has copies of the ABC network versions of the relevant episodes, maybe these questions could be answered.

At least in the case of "Seeing Doubles," there clearly were two versions of the closing, with the same text over different backgrounds.

This is not unique for Hanna-Barbera; the same occurred for Atom Ant, Secret Squirrel and The Adventures Of Gulliver when they were syndicated as part of The Banana Splits And Friends Show. The original credits were superimposed over the Banana Splits footage, including the misspelling of "animation" as "aimation" for AA/SS.

Back to the Flintstones, in the pre-Cartoon Network days, the shows of the first two seasons were syndicated with "Meet The Flintstones" instead of "Rise And Shine." They just took one opening and closing (IIRC from the first show of the third season) and repeated it on every show in the first two seasons.

I also watched The Flintstones in the 1970's on WGN channel 9. All the episodes, including seasons 1 and 2, had the "Meet The Flintstones" opening and closing. The first time I saw "Rise And Shine" was when the DVD's came out. I haven't looked at the 3rd season DVD for awhile, but if I recall, "Rise And Shine" is still on episodes 1 and 2, and then on the 3rd episode "Meet The Flintstones" takes over.

I really don't know why The Flintstones was cancelled. I don't know if the network cancelled it because the ratings weren't that good anymore, or maybe Hanna-Barbera figured six seasons was enough and put a stop to it, I don't know.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
or maybe Hanna-Barbera figured six seasons was enough and put a stop to it, I don't know.

You mean like MTM would do in the 70s w/The Bob Newhart Show on CBS, and Four D would do in the early 80s w/Barney Miller on ABC (end it after a certain number of seasons, for reasons like preserving what's left of its freshness, for one, and making sure it doesn't go stale)?

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
I like the Great Gazoo character, but after six seasons maybe it was time to close the curtain on The Flintstones so Hanna-Barbera could focus on other projects.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I've always wanted to synch Harvey Korman's final dialogue from "High Anxiety" ("If I don't do as you say, you can beat the living cxxp out of me!") into footage of the Great Gazoo. :)

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
I have to laugh at that line in the theme song- "through the courtesy of Fred's two feet" because when I was a kid I thought they were singing- "through the courtesy of Pretzel Pete". I used to think to myself, "who the hell is Pretzel Pete??" :laugh:

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Should I buy these if I already have the original release of completed series?

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Just now purchased this condensed Flintstones all-in-one from Amazon: would have gotten today at the Wal-Mart in Simpsonville, but no longer available

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Should I buy these if I already have the original release of completed series?

If you do buy the re-released set (with no double-sided flipper discs), you might want to still hang on to the original release (with the disc4 flipper disc per season).

IIRC, the re-released sets appears to have dropped the special features.

TVonDVDJunkie05

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick
Regarding the original season set releases, anyone know why each set has one double-sided disc?! I have always wondered why most of the discs are single-sided except the last one- is this a cost issue or WB just cheapening out not wanting to add a couple more single-sided discs?! Would 1 double-sided disc cost less then 2 single-sided discs?

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Regarding the original season set releases, anyone know why each set has one double-sided disc?! I have always wondered why most of the discs are single-sided except the last one- is this a cost issue or WB just cheapening out not wanting to add a couple more single-sided discs?!

Initially this might have been the case.

Though with 20/20 hindsight, it is probably not cost issues in the end. Especially when there's tons of returns of defective inventory.

Would 1 double-sided disc cost less then 2 single-sided discs?

These days I have no idea. Apparently most disc manufacturers with price quotes online, don't seem to offer double-sided DVD14 or DVD18 flipper discs manufacturing at all.

seanrt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean
I like the Great Gazoo character, but after six seasons maybe it was time to close the curtain on The Flintstones so Hanna-Barbera could focus on other projects.
I like Gazoo also, I always enjoy Harvey Korman.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Bumping this up: discovered (from a comment on that video that initiated this topic) that this H-B Diamond Collection, albeit it has no bonuses to speak of, at the very least does include English, French and Spanish subtitles. If that's the case, I'll take it in lieu of any real bonuses (I might think of those as a bonus in and of themselves)!

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Am I the only one who doesn't like that H-B uses new artwork for their animated series rather than period art? Hard to explain, but I just kinda hate the whole "Flintstones cast looking at at us and posing" sort of thing. Fred smiling like he's always in a good mood, etc. I'd rather see whatever promotional art from the broadcast years used on the slipcovers. I guess that's just picky BS, but still....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sitcomguy
Recent bookmarks