What's new

Is the b&w era of TV on DVD slowly coming to an end? (3 Viewers)

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I haven’t posted on Home Theater Forum I quite awhile, but I’m back.
I have all the seasons of Ozzie And Harriet, Abbott And Costello season 2, Blu-ray, World Of Giants also BD, and will be ordering Angel and Colt 45. So I’ve been keeping up!
Many thanks to Dave at Classic Flix for past and future B&W treasures!!
Let’s hope Mr Feltenstein will give us more b and w tv - Room For One More would be a nice start!

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
I have all the seasons of Ozzie And Harriet, Abbott And Costello season 2, Blu-ray, World Of Giants also BD, and will be ordering Angel and Colt 45. So I’ve been keeping up!
Let’s hope Mr Feltenstein will give us more b and w tv - Room For One More would be a nice start!

Great to see you back, Lou! I’ve been missing your contributions.

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Thanks , you’ll be hearing a lot from me in the future!
Welcome back from me as well Lou!
I like your taste in Classic TV!

RBailey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Hall
I remember watching ROOM FOR ONE MORE and really liking it. It was fun to see WB regulars like Peggy McKay and Andrew Duggan starring in a light-hearted comedy series.
The one thing I recall is an episode that featured footage from the WB feature THE BLACK SCORPION long before I ever saw the movie. I don't remember anything about why those scenes were interpolated into the show.

Two other short-lived Warner TV shows that I'd buy would be NO TIME FOR SERGEANTS with Sammy Jackson and Andy Clyde and WENDY & ME with George Burns and Connie Stevens.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I remember watching ROOM FOR ONE MORE and really liking it. It was fun to see WB regulars like Peggy McKay and Andrew Duggan starring in a light-hearted comedy series.
The one thing I recall is an episode that featured footage from the WB feature THE BLACK SCORPION long before I ever saw the movie. I don't remember anything about why those scenes were interpolated into the show.

Two other short-lived Warner TV shows that I'd buy would be NO TIME FOR SERGEANTS with Sammy Jackson and Andy Clyde and WENDY & ME with George Burns and Connie Stevens.
Both would be welcome. Let’s hope Mr. Feltenstein gets support from the fans for Maverick Complete and Colt 45. That will be the key to future releases.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Warner Archive just posted this announcement on their social media and I immediately thought of this thread.

COMING TO BLU-RAY FROM THE WARNER ARCHIVE COLLECTION ON MARCH 12th

COLT .45 (1957-1960) THE COMPLETE SERIES.
A TEN-DISC, 67-EPISODE SET.

Set in the American West of the 1870s, Colt .45 stars Wayde Preston as Christopher Colt, a giant of a man who works undercover on a special assignment for the U.S. Army Intelligence Corps to combat the lawlessness on the young country's frontier. Using the guise of salesman for his family's arms manufacturing company, Colt travels alone, bringing law to the dangerous West at the barrel of his family's signature weapon--the Colt .45. This action-packed series made Preston an instant TV favorite, and the series itself featured an impressive list of guest stars including Dan Blocker, Peter Brown, Robert Conrad, Angie Dickinson, Troy Donahue, Alan Hale Jr., and future TV icons Leonard Nimoy and Adam West. During the series’ third season, the character of Sam Colt Jr. (portrayed by Donald May) was introduced as Christopher’s cousin, taking on the family mantle to combat the nefarious villains and outlaws introduced in each episode. Long unavailable and out of public view, now all 67 episodes of COLT .45 are making their home video debut in this Blu-ray collection, which have been meticulously remastered from 4K scans of the original camera negatives.

Still haven't seen this up for pre-order. Hopefully as soon as it pops up somewhere online one of you can post the link. I'm anxious to order this one.

Gary "same holds for any and every ClassicFlix release" O.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
A thought crossed my mind today: does the release of long delayed and most likely at one time cancelled Colt 45 mean that there is a big change in attitude towards vintage TV at WB Archives?
If so, I further wonder if there is any chance at all for any of the detective shows.
We can all speculate one way or the other, but time,
( and sales of Colt 45 )
will tell!

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Maverick was announced?
I was referring to Maverick Complete Series on DVD now being sold at retail. I don’t know how it’s selling, but if it performs well, we will probably see other WB shows upgraded to BD INCLUDING Maverick.
But my guess is that, if there is another western released on BD soon it will be Cheyenne, Warner Brothers first TV western. Just a hunch.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
A thought crossed my mind today: does the release of long delayed and most likely at one time cancelled Colt 45 mean that there is a big change in attitude towards vintage TV at WB Archives?
If so, I further wonder if there is any chance at all for any of the detective shows.
We can all speculate one way or the other, but time,
( and sales of Colt 45 )
will tell!

This is my version of wild speculation but here goes: I would not be shocked if a cable or streaming service like Starz/Encore Westerns made an offer to license the show for their platform and contributed financially towards the remastering, which incentivized Warner to move it off the back burner. Or, perhaps with Warner’s new leadership coming from a television background, the studio has been looking for new ways to monetize their TV catalog stuff. That’s how some other shows at other studios have found a path towards release. I don’t think the cost of remastering is paid for with disc sales alone, and again this is all educated guesswork, but if it’s coming out on disc, it’s probably also going to pop up either on cable or streaming and the combination of all of those outlets is what makes it financially viable.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
This is my version of wild speculation but here goes: I would not be shocked if a cable or streaming service like Starz/Encore Westerns made an offer to license the show for their platform and contributed financially towards the remastering, which incentivized Warner to move it off the back burner. Or, perhaps with Warner’s new leadership coming from a television background, the studio has been looking for new ways to monetize their TV catalog stuff. That’s how some other shows at other studios have found a path towards release. I don’t think the cost of remastering is paid for with disc sales alone, and again this is all educated guesswork, but if it’s coming out on disc, it’s probably also going to pop up either on cable or streaming and the combination of all of those outlets is what makes it financially viable

This is my version of wild speculation but here goes: I would not be shocked if a cable or streaming service like Starz/Encore Westerns made an offer to license the show for their platform and contributed financially towards the remastering, which incentivized Warner to move it off the back burner. Or, perhaps with Warner’s new leadership coming from a television background, the studio has been looking for new ways to monetize their TV catalog stuff. That’s how some other shows at other studios have found a path towards release. I don’t think the cost of remastering is paid for with disc sales alone, and again this is all educated guesswork, but if it’s coming out on disc, it’s probably also going to pop up either on cable or streaming and the combination of all of those outlets is what makes it financially viable.
Sounds plausible to me!

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
So it’s been a pretty good year or two for B and W TV, what with Ozzie And Harriet, World Of The Giants getting quality releases and Blondie, Leave Ut To Beaver, and Abbott and Costello on BD, AND Colt 45 and Angel coming soon!
In the near future, Classic Flix pomises to have some interesting releases later this year.
But it’s frustrating that titles owned by major companies can’t be easily licensed. So shows like People’s Choice, Life Of Riley ,Tightrope, Gray Ghost, Adventures In Paradise, continue to be lost in corporate vaults.
Let’s hope something happens soon to change that! I’d love to see a complete I Love Lucy , Fugitive , Munsters, or Car 54 on Blu-ray.
Or the WB detective shows or Father Of The Bride, or Room For One More, on DVD!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I’d love to see a complete I Love Lucy

I wouldn’t bet against that. CBS/Paramount has recently been putting out complete series Blu-rays for some catalog shows where they had the HD masters already. They do have the syndication edits for Lucy all in HD.

I don’t think they’d go to the trouble of doing “night of broadcast” restorations for the seasons that haven’t yet been released on Blu-ray - that cost them a fortune for seasons 1 and 2 and the revenue never materialized to justify the effort, sadly - but just putting the rest of what they already have on disc out there shouldn’t be complicated. Allegedly, they have more complete versions of the Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour shows remastered already, and that would be a great inclusion compared to what’s available on DVD. I can live with what’s already out on disc if I have to but this actually seems like it might happen one day. I am cautiously optimistic but not holding my breath on any kind of predicable timing.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I wouldn’t bet against that. CBS/Paramount has recently been putting out complete series Blu-rays for some catalog shows where they had the HD masters already. They do have the syndication edits for Lucy all in HD.

OT-- they do have HDs for 70s crime dramas like The Streets of San Francisco, do they not? I am thinking they do, per how I'm reading what you've said here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks