What's new

Is the b&w era of TV on DVD slowly coming to an end? (5 Viewers)

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I'm pretty much satisfied with STREETS on DVD, but would love to see THE INVADERS get an HD release on Blu-ray. As a science-fiction drama, it should be a perennial seller. The DVDs look like they were slapped together quickly, and what I see in syndication (MeTV) for THE INVADERS is a total disaster.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Not me. No Streets, no Invaders.

All I wanna see is stuff that's never seen the light of day on physical media or streaming, PERIOD!
I’m not opposed to upgrading, but probably not the two shows mentioned both of which I have on DVD. But who knows….
Many shows that have never been on home video in any form I would buy as soon as announced.
Some hopeless cases here, but-
People’s Choice, Topper, December Bride, Adventures In Paradise, The Lineup, Trackdown, Saints And Sinners, Tightrope, Life Of Riley, Hey Landlord, The Gray Ghost, Father Of The Bride, Dragnet, all come to mind. None have EVER been available on home video.

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
I’m not opposed to upgrading, but probably not the two shows mentioned both of which I have on DVD. But who knows….
Many shows that have never been on home video in any form I would buy as soon as announced.
Some hopeless cases here, but-
People’s Choice, Topper, December Bride, Adventures In Paradise, The Lineup, Trackdown, Saints And Sinners, Tightrope, Life Of Riley, Hey Landlord, The Gray Ghost, Father Of The Bride, Dragnet, all come to mind. None have EVER been available on home video.
Yes I agree. I should've revised my post to include series which have been released but released poorly. But the thing is, the odds of any of those you've listed above ever happening now, in the 2020's, on physical media, are likely 9.99999 out of 10. I have to chuckle when I see members here resurrecting threads from 5-10 years ago asking the very same questions and making the very same requests. If it didn't happen back then it just ain't gonna happen now, at least not on physical media anyway. Of course there are still exceptions which is great.

Maybe 25% of those requests has already been remastered and streaming for many years. I got almost 40 Terrabytes worth of digital files to watch now and I barely know where to begin.

I so hope I'm proved wrong!

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Yes I agree. I should've revised my post to include series which have been released but released poorly. But the thing is, the odds of any of those you've listed above ever happening now, in the 2020's, on physical media, are likely 9.99999 out of 10. I have to chuckle when I see members here resurrecting threads from 5-10 years ago asking the very same questions and making the very same requests. If it didn't happen back then it just ain't gonna happen now, at least not on physical media anyway. Of course there are still exceptions which is great.

Maybe 25% of those requests has already been remastered and streaming for many years. I got almost 40 Terrabytes worth of digital files to watch now and I barely know where to begin.

I so hope I'm proved wrong!
Still you never know! Sometimes out of the blue a show sneaks out: Colt 45, World Of Giants, Stagecoach West and the complete Ozzie And Harriet!

Last edited:

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Still you never know! Sometimes out of the blue a show sneaks out: Colt 45, World Of Giants, Stagecoach West and the complete Ozzie And Harriet!
Sure, let's start a new thread. Things I'd like to see released on DVD and BluRay.
icon_e_whistling.gif

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Yes, I agree. It was monumental! But, so nice to also get World Of Giants, Colt 45, Abbott And Costello Show , and Blondie on Blu-ray.
Let’s hope for some similar releases in the near future
I forgot the Complete Maverick package which is now being sold at retail. The release of that and Colt 45, has me hopeful that Warner Brothers and WBA will begin paying more attention to their TV catalog.

Last edited:

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
Don't forget, COLT .45 was a 'half-hour' show. 67 COLT.45 episodes are equal to 33.5 'hour' long episodes of 77 SUNSET STRIP. So that's $80. for 33.5 hour shows

So a 206 episode 77 SUNSET STRIP set would be around $492.99.

At this point I'd be happy just seeing 77 and the other classic WB hour shows on an OTA station uncut in 75 minute time slots without shrunken credits.

Last edited:

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Don't forget, COLT .45 was a 'half-hour' show. 67 COLT.45 episodes are equal to 33.5 'hour' long episodes of 77 SUNSET STRIP. So that's $80. for 33.5 hour shows

So a 206 episode 77 SUNSET STRIP set would be around $492.99.

At this point I'd be happy just seeing 77 and the other classic WB hour shows on an OTA station uncut in 75 minute time slots without shrunken credits.
For my money they could leave out the final season of 77. It feels totally different and not very entertaining.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Naturally, this is all wishful thinking since it still seems 77 Sunset is unreleasable due to music clearance issues. A complete 77 Sunset Strip would probably list for around $400 considering the number of discs necessary to accommodate all of those 1 hour episodes , and I don’t know how much the music licensing would add to the total.Searching around, some sites might discount a bit.
Keep in mind that while Mr Feltenstein wants to give all if us some nice stuff to look forward to, a project like this may not be possible.
But let’s be optimistic, support what he does release and hope for some good releases down the road!

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Naturally, this is all wishful thinking since it still seems 77 Sunset is unreleasable due to music clearance issues. A complete 77 Sunset Strip would probably list for around $400 considering the number of discs necessary to accommodate all of those 1 hour episodes , and I don’t know how much the music licensing would add to the total.Searching around, some sites might discount a bit.
Keep in mind that while Mr Feltenstein wants to give all if us some nice stuff to look forward to, a project like this may not be possible.
But let’s be optimistic, support what he does release and hope for some good releases down the road!
I just realized that my post above seems overly pessimistic. Who knows? Maybe it could happen . I’d gladly welcome a 77 Sunset release as well as the the other WB detective shows. I’m not an insider, so I can only go by what I read here at HTF , which is that music clearance costs are prohibitive.
Let’s see what the future brings!

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
I just realized that my post above seems overly pessimistic. Who knows? Maybe it could happen . I’d gladly welcome a 77 Sunset release as well as the the other WB detective shows. I’m not an insider, so I can only go by what I read here at HTF , which is that music clearance costs are prohibitive.
Let’s see what the future brings!
Same situation with Hawaiian Eye. It is plain frustrating that certain other shows had the music issues worked out so they could be released on home video, but other ones like the ones mentioned here have all these legal and music rights preventing them from getting out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks