What's new
World Wide Stereo

Is this TRUE for HDTV... if so (1 Viewer)

Dave1

Grip
Real Name
David
Digital Cable, Digital Satellite (DSS), HDTV

To actually see an HDTV program in high definition you must use component video (or RGB).

... if so would you only use the HDMI cable for a HD player such as Blue Ray for 1080p signal?

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Dave1

Grip
Real Name
David
So tell me if i am saying this right. If the projector has HDMI. This would connect to the DVD player and the HDTV/Digital cable box would connect to the receiver or would both connect to the rec. How many inputs/outputs are there on a receiver for HDMI these days?

Dave1

Grip
Real Name
David
I checked a Yamaha receiver and the HDMI had 3 inputs 1 output on some models.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The DSS acronym was dropped in the late '90's when the copyright holder sued DirecTV. The generic term for digital satellite systems now is DBS (Direct Broadcast Satellite). In the satellite world they are refered to as LSD (little, silly dish) by the BUD (big, ugly dish) guys.

-Robert

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
I've read that although some cable boxes may have an HDMI output on the back, it doesn't work. They say it's for future use, or something like that. Since most receivers don't have HDMI inputs and outputs yet, people run the HDMI, straight to the tv, and then run a digital coax or optical cable to the receiver, for surround audio. That's actually defeating the purpose of HDMI, since it's meant to carry both, the audio and video, on a single cable.

But, running it to the receiver, and then to the tv, makes you buy an extra HDMI cable, which can get kinda expensive..........

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
In theory, you could connect your HDMI feed from your cable/sat box to the receiver as well as your DVD player with HDMI and run one HDMI out from the receiver to the display/projector. However, there could be some issues with the handshake protocol of HDMI 1.1......with certain equipment....which is supposed to be rectified with version 1.3.

Mort

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
S-video and composite (yellow jack) video are always SDTV. All the other kinds of connections (RGB, HDMI, etc.) support HDTV although whether you can actually get HDTV via those connections depends on the make and model of equipment. SCART connections can support composite, S-video, component video, and RGB but not all at the same time.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Heresy

Grip
Real Name
Joe
The Dish HD-DVR has HDMI out and I have a Yamaha HTR-6090 receiver and Panasonic Blu-Ray. The receiver has 2 HDMI in and 1 out so I have one cable from the DVR to the receiver one from the Blu-Ray to the receiver and one from the receiver to the TV; works like a charm. HDMI helps to lessen the rats nest behind the TV.

You can get inexpensive HDMI cables at monoprice.com there is NO reason to spend a lot on an HDMI cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks