What's new

IXOS cables? (1 Viewer)

Stephen_Ri

Stunt Coordinator
I'm thinking about getting some IXOS 1713 component cables; does anyone have an opinion on this brand of cable?

Stephen_Ri

Stunt Coordinator
Also, would the IXOS 171av cable be about as good as the 1713? I ask because both are availible at accessories4less.com but the 171av is .5 meter(20in) and $17.99, while the 1713 is 1 meter and $39.99. All I need is the .5 meters, and I know that shorter is better, so I figure that since I'm on a budget I might do well to get the 171av. I don't know cables very well, so any advice would be much appreciated, thanks.

Stephen

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
A good friend of mine uses them in his system(he bought his locally) and my impression is that they are a well made cable. They aren't overly expensive either and a much better alternative to monster.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
The former is specifically a 75 ohm video cable while the latter I'm not so sure is. Over the lengths you're looking at and the fact you'll likely be going DVD > TV or something like that, it's a moot point. The primary reason as to why it's a moot point has to do with in order for impedance (75 ohms or not) to be a factor, the connection has to be ~ 1/4 of the wavelegth of the signal being transmitted. If we were to assume your DVD player was going to be passing a 50 mHz signal then that has a wavelength of about 20 feet. A quarter of that is 5 feet. 1/2 meter is about 1 1/2 feet. So there's no reason why you couldn't use it. However...people agonize over everything hence the reason why quite often 75 ohm cables are chosen.

One of the disadvantages of a short length is that it locks you in to component placement. I don't see this as such a big thing. After all many people have a tough time telling s-video apart from component. On practical performance issues, it's hard to make a bad choice. Just keep in mind if you want to change the spacing of things, you won't be able to.

Stephen_Ri

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Shane and Chu Gai for the informative posts; I think I'll go with the 171av.

Stephen

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unbob
Recent bookmarks