Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Did anyone have a pronto?

I had two.
My brother cracked the screen so I had to buy another one.

I think I spent more time programming that thing then I spent actually using it.
Hours and hours on Remote central.
My ProntoPro is still sitting in my HT storage room in the drawer I've come to refer to as my "remote graveyard." I also frequented Remote Central back then and spent hours upon hours adding custom graphics, backgrounds and icons to it. Looking back I can't believe I even bothered as the screen was laughably small compared to the Samsung 10 inch Tab I use now, but it was a pretty cool piece of hardware in it's day. Ah the evolution of Home Theater!!!

Philips ProntoPro.JPG

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
My ProntoPro is still sitting in my HT storage room in the drawer I've come to refer to as my "remote graveyard." I also frequented Remote Central back then and spent hours upon hours adding custom graphics, backgrounds and icons to it. Looking back I can't believe I even bothered as the screen was laughably small compared to the Samsung 10 inch Tab I use now, but it was a pretty cool piece of hardware in it's day. Ah the evolution of Home Theater!!!

View attachment 94446
There are drawers and boxes like this across the country.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
For a long time I meant to get a Harmony remote and finally did after many years of dealing with separate remotes. After upgrading to the system I have now I finally pulled the trigger on my Harmony Elite and it is so much better than dealing with separate remotes. If something happens to this remote in a few years time I have to wonder what will I be able to replace it with? Not to happy that they are getting out of the remote business and what is going to happen is the smart phone going to take its place. Hell it is being used for everything else but honestly I do not even like picking up the smart phone unless I need to. Very disappointed in Harmony remotes going away in the near future! All I know is Control4 is not only more expensive up front but the cost of programing is expensive as well.

20191101_122939a.jpg

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
For a long time I meant to get a Harmony remote and finally did after many years of dealing with separate remotes. After upgrading to the system I have now I finally pulled the trigger on my Harmony Elite and it is so much better than dealing with separate remotes. If something happens to this remote in a few years time I have to wonder what will I be able to replace it with? Not to happy that they are getting out of the remote business and what is going to happen is the smart phone going to take its place. Hell it is being used for everything else but honestly I do not even like picking up the smart phone unless I need to. Very disappointed in Harmony remotes going away in the near future! All I know is Control4 is not only more expensive up front but the cost of programing is expensive as well.

View attachment 94451

Have to say, Dave, that is a beautiful remote.

I have two of them in my home. That's how much I love them.

I can't see anyone ever putting out a consumer-grade remote like this ever again.

seangood79

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean
Bought the Hub last week to pair with my Ultimate One.
This probably means they won’t be developing the app aside from adding new devices to the date base.
Shame, because the app could use some work.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Did anyone have a pronto?

I had two.
My brother cracked the screen so I had to buy another one.

I think I spent more time programming that thing then I spent actually using it.
Hours and hours on Remote central.
That was a $500 to $1000 remote circa 1999? I remember lusting for one, but could not afford it back then. :)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Tried one years back. More pain than it was worth. Using separate remotes works fine for me. At least they said they would continue to support the installed base: not like TV manufacturers who stabbed people, who bought piles of 3D software, in the back.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
That was a $500 to $1000 remote circa 1999? I remember lusting for one, but could not afford it back then. :)

Yes.
At some point there was two I think.
The standard one and one that had a larger touch screen that might have had color.

I have the standard one.
There was A group on another forum that I can’t remember tht was doing a group buy or had a connection that offered them for under $400 maybe even less then that.

The one John pictured above is different then the one I had. Mine did not say Pro on it.

There might have been more then two versions.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
This is not the first time Logitech has made this announcement, if you recall. They tried to sell off the Harmony line back in 2013, and after public outcry reversed their decision.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Yes.
At some point there was two I think.
The standard one and one that had a larger touch screen that might have had color.

I have the standard one.
There was A group on another forum that I can’t remember tht was doing a group buy or had a connection that offered them for under $400 maybe even less then that.

The one John pictured above is different then the one I had. Mine did not say Pro on it.

There might have been more then two versions.
There were at least 4 versions in this footprint. The Pro was the one that added color and then there was another that added an RF bridge. Eventually Philips even made a larger version called the TSU9600 or something like that. It sold for around $1500.00 I think and was an even bigger programming nightmare as it was not backwards compatible with the smaller versions.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
This sucks. This is an essential part of a HT. Nothing can replace it. What is they call it? CEC and stuff is not going to work like a proper universal remote. Can you change your TV channel, Sound System Input and stuff with CEC?

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
If you have just a TV and a streaming box (Roku, Apple TV, etc), there is very little need for a universal remote. Most people are happy with a sound bar connected directly to the TV.

Home theater enthusiasts with AV receivers, fancy speaker systems, and multiple input devices are a rare and fading breed.

Mark

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I have always preferred to have individual remotes. It's easier for me to keep up with the remotes than to program an all in one to do all the stuff I need to do with them and then remember it all.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If you have just a TV and a streaming box (Roku, Apple TV, etc), there is very little need for a universal remote. Most people are happy with a sound bar connected directly to the TV.

Home theater enthusiasts with AV receivers, fancy speaker systems, and multiple input devices are a rare and fading breed.

Mark
I think that goes without saying it. And, yes, those of us that are HT enthusiasts are a dying breed.

DennisBassi

Second Unit
Real Name
Dennis
I have bought Harmony Ones used over the past several years and have 4 of them. They are a great solution for must receiver/Bluray/tv hookups. I also have a new Elite that I have not even opened as I could not find the time to put it in service. I will continue to use them all. There is simply no way that a house guest/girlfriend can figure out how to turn on the TV without “training” if it is set up as a system with receiver, Blu ray, etc. The Harmony One took 2 minutes of training for a house Guest.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks