What's new
World Wide Stereo

New JVC D-ILA Home Theater Projectors Deliver Increased Brightness and Contrast (1 Viewer)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
The improvements seem worthwhile but less than "groundbreaking." I'd expect the current NZ8 and NZ9 projectors to be discontinued in favor of these new models.

If I were buying now I'd obviously opt for the new NZ800 but it's not worth upgrading, as my NZ8 remains a stellar performer.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
The improvements seem worthwhile but less than "groundbreaking." I'd expect the current NZ8 and NZ9 projectors to be discontinued in favor of these new models.

If I were buying now I'd obviously opt for the new NZ800 but it's not worth upgrading, as my NZ8 remains a stellar performer.
Agreed. I just purchased an NZ8 at a heavily discounted price (~5k off) knowing that the new models were coming (in fact, I assume the new models are the source of the massive sale price). I have no regrets.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

Pretty sure they are.
Agreed. I just purchased an NZ8 at a heavily discounted price (~5k off) knowing that the new models were coming (in fact, I assume the new models are the source of the massive sale price). I have no regrets.
I got similar pricing for a new NZ8 on close out. Very tempting because it’s relatively speaking a fantastic price. But I’m just not quite ready for such an expense.

I might regret it in 6-12 months and I am ready and now I’m looking at NZ800 pricing :) but so it goes with these decisions.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Pretty sure they are.
Are you referring to the improvements of these models over their predecessors? If so, my comment only reflected my opinion. You're free to disagree however I have owned the current gen NZ8 for about a year now. :)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Are you referring to the improvements of these models over their predecessors? If so, my comment only reflected my opinion. You're free to disagree however I have owned the current gen NZ8 for about a year now. :)
Sorry , I mean the NZ8 and NZ9 are discontinued. They’re on clearance prices now.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
Yes, ^ JVC's NZ9, NZ8, NZ7, NP5 are on promotional closeout sale now.

Look forward to working with fellow HTF members, and all who manage this A/V enthusiasts forum to be the best it can be!

Thank you all who contribute and manage HTF! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
This makes me even more happy I bought the NZ8 as my "end-game" projector. Resale value has likely taken a huge hit.
The best resale was for the NX series buyers who bought new and sold with the release of NZ. The NX launched with superb pre-order pricing — which I somewhat regret not buying in hindsight — and then caught the 2.5x price increase for the mandated MSRP pricing for NZ. They lost only about 33% over three years. That’s nearly unheard of in electronics.

But now the NZ series were sold with retailer discounts and there’s no price bump for the new line, so I expect they’re seeing more normal used price drops after 2 ½ years.

The mitigating factor is that since NZx00 are spec bumps over NZx, there’s not a lot of people selling their original NZ hardware to upgrade to new NZ hardware. So the used market might still be better for sellers than buyers.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
The mitigating factor is that since NZx00 are spec bumps over NZx, there’s not a lot of people selling their original NZ hardware to upgrade to new NZ hardware. So the used market might still be better for sellers than buyers.
If I'm understanding you correctly [some of the terminology went a bit above my head] that's a good point. Even if I were in the market, these new models wouldn't be compelling enough to trigger an upgrade, especially knowing it would mean mounting another JVC projector. Definitely not an easy task. :eek:

That said, I do wish JVC had just begun including the improved features in future NZ8's and 9's without creating a new model. There doesn't seem to be a financial incentive for them choosing this approach.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
If I'm understanding you correctly [some of the terminology went a bit above my head] that's a good point. Even if I were in the market, these new models wouldn't be compelling enough to trigger an upgrade, especially knowing it would mean mounting another JVC projector. Definitely not an easy task. :eek:

That said, I do wish JVC had just begun including the improved features in future NZ8's and 9's without creating a new model. There doesn't seem to be a financial incentive for them choosing this approach.
Yes. What I meant to say is: new models aren't exciting enough for people like you to upgrade and flood the market with old NZ7/8/9 models. That might keep used prices up somewhat.

But also there was a unique scenario where early adopters of NX5/7/9 got 30% discounts off 2018 pricing. And then when NZ7/8/9 there were no more discounts and used prices went up as well.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
There are claims that according to JVC these models have substantial new hardware, which presumably is why some new features can't be brought to the NZ7/8/9 models. Is that so? Don't know. I'd love the more graduated fan speed of the NZ800/900 to be on the NZ7/8/9. But it might be there's a revised thermal design so it's only doable in the new models.

May never know if that's so, or JVC just stops firmware updates as a marketing choce.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Thanks for dumbing it down a bit for me. :D

Other than the Projector Central review you linked above, I hadn't even heard of the revisions around fan speed control. Personally, I've never understood such concerns as I don't even notice the fan in practical use. Even if I did, I'd welcome it. Knowing my rather expensive projector is properly cooled trumps fan noise any day.

May never know if that's so, or JVC just stops firmware updates as a marketing choce.
From what I know of JVC, this should never happen, but I've been wrong before.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
There are claims that according to JVC these models have substantial new hardware, which presumably is why some new features can't be brought to the NZ7/8/9 models. Is that so? Don't know. I'd love the more graduated fan speed of the NZ800/900 to be on the NZ7/8/9. But it might be there's a revised thermal design so it's only doable in the new models.

Oh definitely. They have new D-ILA chipsets for starters and also a newly designed 8K e-Shiftx engine. The latter might be transferrable to the NZx series via software but certainly not the former.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bromleygarden
Recent bookmarks