What's new

Noel Coward Collection from Warner mid September (1 Viewer)

FrankXS

Second Unit
Does anyone know what this Noel Coward Collection from Warner Brothers will contain ? Could it be titles like Private Lives and We Were Dancing, both Norma Shearer titles for which Coward had written the original stage presentations ? The set is due out mid September. This was posted this afternoon over at Digital Bits.
Looking at Imdb, I also find the play Bitter Sweet, which was used at MGM to star Jeanette MacDonald and Nelson Eddy...directed by W.S. Van Dyke.

Could this whole set be made up of movies for which he wrote the original source.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Just a guess but I suspect this wont' be a collection of films but of TV plays produced in Great Britain. Warners distributes BBC here in America and I believe it will be similar to the George Bernard Shaw Collection which were not films based on Shaw's plays but TV plays like The Millionairess with Maggie Smith, Arms And The Man with Helena Bonham Carter, Androcles And The Lion with Billy Connolly, Mrs. Warren's Profession with Coral Browne, etc.

Corey

Screenwriter
please let them be the old films. a set with 2 norma pictures and jeanette macdonald would leave me speechless.

PattyFraser

Second Unit
I sympathize with your desire for the Norma Shearer et al. But frankly, I've longed to have the collection that was known as Star Quality and was shown on Masterpiece Theater in the 80's, so this is what I'm hoping for. Here's hoping at some point we'll both get what we want.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
The Bits doesn't tell us what is in this set.
It is listed this morning as a new release from warner-BBC video. no titles but seven discs are mentioned.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Ah, yes- I remember Star Quality, my favorite segment was the one with Tom Courtenay as a dying song & dance man looking back at his life- I think it was called "Me and the Girls". If it's in the collection- I'll be first on line to get it!

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Coward would be infuriated to have MGM's "Bitter Sweet" attached to his name, because (like most MGM musicals of that era) it had very little to do with the original play other than the title and a couple of songs.

PattyFraser

Second Unit
In case there is anyone who still doesn't know, I found this on MoviesUnlimited. The price means I'll have to wait for Deepdiscount's November sale, I'm a-thinking...

The Noel Coward Collection [DVD]

This expansive seven-disc set features a spectacular collection of Noel Coward's full-length plays, one-acts and short stories, produced and shown on the BBC. Includes "Hay Fever," "Private Lives," "Present Laughter," "The Vortex," "Mrs. Capper's Birthday," "What Mad Pursuit," "Star Quality," "Me and the Girls," "Bon Voyage," "Mr. and Mrs. Edgehill," "Design for Living," "Tonight at 8:30," and "Suite in Two Keys." Standard; Soundtrack: English; interviews; more.
Category: Comedy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ontocloud9
Recent bookmarks