What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Press Release Warner Archive Collection Press Release: The Alaskans: The Complete Series (1959-1960) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Wow! Great news, and so soon, coming June 18! I only have 6 episodes of the Alaskans in barely viewable PQ. It's a very enjoyable show, with sizable comedic, often witty, emphasis like Maverick and Sugarfoot. Lots of soundstage potato flake blizzards and backdrop glaciation. The leads and cast hilariously sweating it out in fur parkas under hot arc lights at the studio, but with effective library film of real snow clad mountains and coastal waterfronts as convincing establishing shots. And the usual excellent Warner studio sets. Roger Moore, big burly Jeff York and lovely songstress Dorothy Provine make a great team.

I too am a big fan of Roger Moore (he was always a plus as a WB guest star and as a regular in Maverick season four, and the 1961 Warner's theatrical Western w/Clint Walker, Gold of the Seven Saints), and as with Connie Stevens' singing in Hawaiian Eye, I think I'll enjoy Dorothy Provine's song interludes far more than I ever thought I would!

Of course, along with Hawaiian Eye, the Alaskans was WB's nod to the excitement surrounding both state's 1959 admittance to the Union, leaving behind their territory status.
1714061208975.png

1714061280199.png

1714061347868.png
1714061804755.png

1714061607579.png

1714061559769.png

1714061695095.png

1714061475331.png

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
No Maverick (sigh), but I will gladly pick this one up, since I do enjoy the Roger Moore episodes of the former.
While reading about The Alaskans (I'd never heard of it before) I read they used more than a few Maverick scripts due to a writer's strike while the series was in production. They'd run out of original episodes so got those to fill the season and changed nothing but names of characters.

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Wow! Great news, and so soon, coming June 18! I only have 6 episodes of the Alaskans in barely viewable PQ. It's a very enjoyable show, with sizable comedic, often witty, emphasis like Maverick and Sugarfoot. Lots of soundstage potato flake blizzards and backdrop glaciation. The leads and cast hilariously sweating it out in fur parkas under hot arc lights at the studio, but with effective library film of real snow clad mountains and coastal waterfronts as convincing establishing shots. And the usual excellent Warner studio sets. Roger Moore, big burly Jeff York and lovely songstress Dorothy Provine make a great team.

I too am a big fan of Roger Moore (he was always a plus as a WB guest star and as a regular in Maverick season four, and the 1961 Warner's theatrical Western w/Clint Walker, Gold of the Seven Saints), and as with Connie Stevens' singing in Hawaiian Eye, I think I'll enjoy Dorothy Provine's song interludes far more than I ever thought I would!

Of course, along with Hawaiian Eye, the Alaskans was WB's nod to the excitement surrounding both state's 1959 admittance to the Union, leaving behind their territory status.
View attachment 220716
View attachment 220717
View attachment 220718 View attachment 220724
View attachment 220721
View attachment 220720
View attachment 220722
View attachment 220719
Thanks for posting these great photos. Looking forward to another classic TV series release.

JoshuaB.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
While reading about The Alaskans (I'd never heard of it before) I read they used more than a few Maverick scripts due to a writer's strike while the series was in production. They'd run out of original episodes so got those to fill the season and changed nothing but names of characters.
Yes, I just finished reading Ed Robertson's book on BHTS of Maverick and read about the sneaky way Warner recycled scripts!

It will be fun to check out The Alaskans--I want to support these WA TV releases on Blu-ray to keep them motivated to release more obscure vintage TV shows in HD.

Dan McW

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
Re Howie's last post: In checking IMDb's listing for The Alaskans, it states that the most-used "writer" on the show was the fictional "W. Hermanos" (read: Warner Brothers), a name the studio used on recycled scripts.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
One post has been deleted. Please, stop with multiple postings about Then Came Bronson in this thread. You already have one such post in this thread and we don't need another one. Thank you.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Is this the western in the WA pipeline that George Feltenstein was talking about in his last podcast with Tim Millard? Either way, I'm going to purchase this release.

Kevin Antonio (Kev)

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Taffe
I really can't wait to see it. The PQ of the 2 episodes I saw were pretty rough and took me out of the show. Roger Moore in a western was always bizarre to me. His only western film to my knowledge was Gold of the seven saints, which was also a WB production directed by the great Gordon Douglas. It showed his flare for comedy and reading the comments it seems like this show wasn't a drama.

Interesting little fact, when James Garner was burned out from filming multiple episodes back to back in the beginning of Maverick. He demanded a brother to take some of the load off. When actors were considered for the part 4 names were at the top: Roger Moore, Sean Connery, Stuart Whitman, and Jack Kelly. Connery (who was unknown) got a week vacation and was wined and dined by Jack Warner who on the last day of the trip asked him to sign on as Bart. He refused and stated " I don't wanna do a western". Obviously mad and disappointed Jack Warner asked him why? Connery responded, " I wanted a American vacation ". The rest as they say is history.

Tom.W

Second Unit

I agree, Randall! Very big and welcome surprise. I read that the leads did not enjoy working on Alaskans, for various reasons, mainly so-so scripts. But another breakthrough in the Warners library is a long awaited treat. It'll be fun to finally view this show in a watchable presentation.

This is wonderful news. Being greedy, any chance of seeing a release for 'The Roaring 20's' too - I can't get enough of Dorothy Provine...pretty pleeze...
My thoughts exactly. If the music rights were resolved for The Alaskans, maybe there's a glimmer of hope for The Roaring 20's. Although I'm sure it's a much steeper hill to climb with all those Gershwin and Cole Porter songs that Dorothy sings in The Roaring 20's.

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Yes, I just finished reading Ed Robertson's book on BHTS of Maverick and read about the sneaky way Warner recycled scripts!

It will be fun to check out The Alaskans--I want to support these WA TV releases on Blu-ray to keep them motivated to release more obscure vintage TV shows in HD.
Same with me. Besides those detective shows always mentioned by many, I would be happy to see Season 2 of Mr. Novak as well, even if just on DVD like Season 1 was.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
My thoughts exactly. If the music rights were resolved for The Alaskans, maybe there's a glimmer of hope for The Roaring 20's. Although I'm sure it's a much steeper hill to climb with all those Gershwin and Cole Porter songs that Dorothy sings in The Roaring 20's.

Anything written through 1929 will be Public Domain on January 1st, 2025 (Right now it's through 1928) - So, unless they played hard-and-fast and used songs written after 1929, the publishing side isn't anything to worry about clearance wise. :) Did the show use songs written after 1929 or original songs written for the show in 1920's style?

Tom.W

Second Unit
Anything written through 1929 will be Public Domain on January 1st, 2025 (Right now it's through 1928) - So, unless they played hard-and-fast and used songs written after 1929, the publishing side isn't anything to worry about clearance wise. :) Did the show use songs written after 1929 or original songs written for the show in 1920's style?
AFAIK, none of the songs were written specifically for the show. A couple that come to mind are Someone to Watch Over Me (1926) and Don't Bring Lulu (1925). So that's encouraging. Seems logical that the producers would limit the song catalogue used to the 1920's.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
AFAIK, none of the songs were written specifically for the show. A couple that come to mind are Someone to Watch Over Me (1926) and Don't Bring Lulu (1925). So that's encouraging. Seems logical that the producers would limit the song catalogue used to the 1920's.
Dorothy Provine had a recording career at WB, including an album of songs from Roaring Twenties.
I agree it would be nice to get the series on Blu-ray . It looks like all future WB TV releases will be BD.

SuperClark

Second Unit
Real Name
Clark
Since the first 2 WB archive releases have been series that have never been on dvd before/Colt .45 and The Alaskans the next 1 may very well be Temple Houston.Here is a very good article on the creation of the series.

A movie was released based on the show and called The Man From Gavelston.Its available for purchase on amazon.Here are 2 scenes.

oldtvshowbuff

Supporting Actor
Real Name
James Beer
And so did Colt.45, too!

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Very interesting the shows Warner has recently released on Blu. Honestly, I have no experience with Colt .45 or this and so they are just blind buys. Does anyone remember this show and have thoughts on it?

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Before the Pandemic, there was talk about the Alaskans before everything went kablooey, and it's nice to see it finally came out. But I think there was also rumours about The Guns of Paradise season 2 & 3. Mind you, that was five years ago, but we'll have to see.

--jthree

Kevin Antonio (Kev)

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Taffe
Very interesting the shows Warner has recently released on Blu. Honestly, I have no experience with Colt .45 or this and so they are just blind buys. Does anyone remember this show and have thoughts on it?
I had friend that had some 16mm prints of this show. The show was pretty much a rendition of what was popular at the time. A man traveling from place to place working for the government and using his business of selling guns as a cover. On streaming one can rent a episode of Maverick called The Saga of Waco Williams. Wayde Preston is Waco and carries the whole episode.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alianalbuck
Recent bookmarks