What's new

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Over in the Blu-ray forum, we're currently discussing the news of Disney reaching a deal for Sony to take over their disc production and distribution. Obviously, the fact that they are doing this at all is a very big deal. There are lots of questions and ramifications. We're going to be talking about that over there for some time to come.

I bring this up here because I wonder what this means for the Disney Movie Insiders program. I'm not sure if it would make sense for Disney to continue to operate a rewards program for products being sold by other studios. Of course you can get points for theatrical releases and Disney+ subscriptions, but it would seem to me that discs are probably still the main source of points for most people. They certainly are for me.

Perhaps they will just merge with Sony Rewards when Sony takes over distribution?

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Just because Sony will handle production and distribution doesn't mean the product is Sony... It'll still be Disney and likely have those codes in the case.

I pretty much expect any left over product after DMC shutters, especially the "exclusives," to show up on the DMI redemption list.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
DMI HOT REWARD PREVIEW -- starting February 28, 2024 at Noon ET

Disney’s Sleeping Beauty Princess Aurora Pop! -- 500 pts

428702445_947597906727001_4217185091837524772_n.jpg

Last edited:

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
I bring this up here because I wonder what this means for the Disney Movie Insiders program. I'm not sure if it would make sense for Disney to continue to operate a rewards program for products being sold by other studios.
It's still Disney product. The only difference is that they outsourced the production. And it just so happens to be another studio instead of a third party.

But Universal still has their rewards program even those SDS makes the discs.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
It looks like Thor is for Canada only...the link is showing that locality only.

All the Canadian movies listed are only available to Canadian addresses -- not sure if Quebec is included but they are often blocked. For People whose IP addresses are routed through Quebec this has often cause problems

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
All the Canadian movies listed are only available to Canadian addresses -- not sure if Quebec is included but they are often blocked. For People whose IP addresses are routed through Quebec this has often cause problems

And know what? I was so excited to see a 4k on here I didn't have...I didn't even bother to read the rest of the link you posted.

:blink::rolleyes::huh:

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
New movies for March on Universal All Access (quite a few repeats this month):

Baby Mama
The Best Man Holiday
Doom (Theatrical)
Doom (Unrated) - 4K
Fast Five (Theatrical) - 4K
Fast Five (Unrated) - 4K
Forgetting Sarah Marshall (Theatrical)
Forgetting Sarah Marshall (Unrated)
Liar Liar
Lone Survivor
The Nutty Professor II
RIPD
Straight Outta Compton (Theatrical) - 4K
Straight Outta Compton (Unrated)
Tower Heist
The Wiz

As of this morning, on the Universal All Access website, last month's listings are also included but do not show when trying to redeem a code on Movies Anywhere.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
NEW HOT REWARD PREVIEW - Feb 14, 2024 starting Noon ET

MYSTERY Blu-Ray -- 400 pts

427887812_940012204152238_121286913861580071_n.jpg

Honestly another item available since Day 1 of new DMI for a small discount. With the crackdown on repeat BD DMI points even that doesn't help.
I took a chance on this and received a Blu-ray/DVD/Digital combo of Turning Red.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
nice movie, but a DVD seriously?
I think this is the second time they have done this. I agree with your surprise because I'm not sure how many people will want a DVD, but there is some precedent for this. The 2012 DVD-only version of Cinderella was a Hot Reward on Wednesday, March 15, 2023.

image.jpg
Honestly, I am surprised they chose Elemental already because we are talking about the most recent Pixar film here. I think this might be the quickest turnaround ever from the disc being released to being offered as a reward item. Elemental came out on September 26, 2023, which was only 160 days ago. Usually, the discs being offered as rewards are at least a few years older than that.

If Elemental is 400 points, that's pretty reasonable because you'll get 100 points back for redeeming the code inside it when you receive it. I would redeem the movie if I still wanted a DVD. The question for Disney is how many of its members are still ordering DVDs as rewards and haven't made the jump to Blu-ray.

I took a chance on this and received a Blu-ray/DVD/Digital combo of Turning Red.
Turning Red is an excellent movie and anybody who doesn't already have it would be lucky to get it as a mystery Blu-ray. But would be useless to me because I already own it.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
I think this is the second time they have done this. I agree with your surprise because I'm not sure how many people will want a DVD, but there is some precedent for this. The 2012 DVD-only version of Cinderella was a Hot Reward on Wednesday, March 15, 2023.

View attachment 215248
Honestly, I am surprised they chose Elemental already because we are talking about the most recent Pixar film here. I think this might be the quickest turnaround ever from the disc being released to being offered as a reward item. Elemental came out on September 26, 2023, which was only 160 days ago. Usually, the discs being offered as rewards are at least a few years older than that.

If Elemental is 400 points, that's pretty reasonable because you'll get 100 points back for redeeming the code inside it when you receive it. I would redeem the movie if I still wanted a DVD. The question for Disney is how many of its members are still ordering DVDs as rewards and haven't made the jump to Blu-ray.

Turning Red is an excellent movie and anybody who doesn't already have it would be lucky to get it as a mystery Blu-ray. But would be useless to me because I already own it.

But at least it was Cinderella. Anyway confirmed at 400 pts. Not confirmed, but there was some talk that Elemental DVD didn't have DMI points which I think is a mistake. No digital, but I'm pretty sure it's supposed to have the 100 pt code

Turning Red is an excellent movie as in Onward and a couple others that people in the US received -- just not the PG-13 item that was advertised. Many who contacted DMI over their error and attempt cover it up after the fact by changing the language in the description to PG/PG13 have been refunded their pts if they complain.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
No digital, but I'm pretty sure it's supposed to have the 100 pt code
That is exactly what Cinderella had. 100 points but no digital. (I redeemed it because I had loaned out the DVD copy inside my Blu-ray and never got it back. I wanted the case to be full again.)

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks