JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Gotcha thanks. The B8 and C8 were just cosmetic if I remember right, guess that changed.
I looked it up and there's also an 8 lb difference in weight, so there's clearly heftier construction on the C9. How much $ that's worth is debatable, I suppose.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I looked it up and there's also an 8 lb difference in weight, so there's clearly heftier construction on the C9. How much $ that's worth is debatable, I suppose.

I'm seeing identical wts for the B9/C9 at the same diagonal size except for the stand. It still seems a bit odd that the stand on the 55In C9 vs B9 is 10lb vs 2lb. and even harder to believe the 65in is nearly 17lb different since I don't see a speaker built in or something that substantial

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Is that with the base? If so then it’s because of the heavier C9 base.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I just noticed a nice bohus with a year free bonus Disney+ being available for many of the LG OLED set.

I can't find the exact terms, but it seems to be similar to th Verizon offer so I'm assuming it will add to those who bought 2 or 3 years up front.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I didn’t want to “what if myself” just to save some money especially knowing the C9 had a better processor and it looked better cosmetically than the B9.
I was thinking the same thing. Then *someone* in this thread had me questioning that logic. <_<

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I was thinking the same thing. Then *someone* in this thread had me questioning that logic. <_<
John,

I watched a couple of Youtube videos that compared the two displays and based on what they said and my own personal philosophy that my old man passed on to me ( If you can afford it then buy what you want as you never want to think about "What if?") Now, he gave me that advice about something else that I can't remember, probably a car, but, it was sound advice that I've followed as somebody that's been into HT equipment for 35 years.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
How do you like it? I’ve been watching a plasma for about 12 years now, and I’m concerned about what can take it’s place.

OLED is the successor to plasma and the best you can get (whatever anyone else says). My Panny plasma, bought in 2010, died this year (after being used for gaming by my son). I bought 65 and 55 inch Panny OLEDs and they are just superb, and much cooler than the plasma!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
OLED is the successor to plasma and the best you can get (whatever anyone else says). My Panny plasma, bought in 2010, died this year (after being used for gaming by my son). I bought 65 and 55 inch Panny OLEDs and they are just superb, and much cooler than the plasma!
My LG OLED puts my Panny VT plasma to shame.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Picked up my LG C9 OLED TV this afternoon, and just finished setting it up.

The picture quality is incredible. Blacks that are pitch black, whites that are pure white, and the full range of tints and colors in between. HD over the air content is a big step up, but the first UHD disc I put in my Panasonic DP-UB820 (Black Panther) was absolutely astounding. Better picture quality than when I saw it in theaters. And going from a 60htz TV to a variable frame rate TV, you can feel the difference between 3:2 pulldown and true 24fps.

I was instantly converted into a UHD true believer. Even though the discs looked pretty great on my old display, true 4K with HDR is a whole 'nother animal.

Here's a picture I took with my phone, which captures the how true the black levels are, but doesn't come close to doing the contrast or color fidelity justice:
LG_C9_OLED_20191119.png

My only complaint so far is that the remote works like a Wii remote; you wave it around and select things with the arrow. I was never great with the Wii remote, and I'm not great with this one either. I prefer using arrow keys.

The instructions for setting up the TV on the stand weren't great, either. Fortunately Digital Trends has a great YouTube video that walked me through it step by step.

This thing is incredibly thin but also incredibly heavy. Even without the stand, which is weighted itself, the TV weighs probably 3 or 4 times what the display it's replacing weighs.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Congratulations!

I’m on regular LCD LED vs an OLED but even going from Plasma to UHD LED, I was blown away by how much better blacks have gotten in these most recent generations of sets. And I’ve seen a few of the 2016 LG OLEDs in action and it’s stunning. Space movies are great on these!

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
How do you like it? I’ve been watching a plasma for about 12 years now, and I’m concerned about what can take it’s place.

I know you did not direct that comment to me but I just wanted to say I love my Sony OLED! It was between the LG and the Sony OLED and LG makes a very nice OLED but I got the Sony! The XBR55A9F has an amazing picture! My local Best Buy had the OLED demo truck there last weekend.

IMG_2967a.jpg

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
Bestbuy had the 55" B8 for $1400 (in store only) last Superbowl, so I splurged. It replaced a late model Samsung plasma that had a particularly nice picture but had developed plasma sparkle. I had been tracking the price of OLEDs for five years and as, LG owns the market and high end LCDs are a similar price, I decided prices were not going to fall further, seems I was right. I compared a B8 & C8 side by side in store and could see no difference. Online reviews indicated the B8 was the better value. For the foreseeable future the TV will only be used with HD (not UHD) sources, I do not use the built-in streaming apps and most of the picture processing was turned off during initial setup, so the processor is under utilized. The B8 is definitely better than my plasma but when using HD sources the differences are not as great as others will lead you to believe. A proviso, my eyesight is now the major limitation, my ability to focus differs greatly between morning and night. If you are also in doubt, you may want to get your eyesight checked before making an expensive decision.
The only niggle with the B8 was how to turn closed captions CC on & off during OTA reception. The manual is extremely brief, there is no CC button on the remote, I could find nothing online and LG customer service provided a clumsy method. It turns out pointing the Magic remote to the top left or right of the screen uncovers CC and other options.
HTH, Trevor.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks