What's new
World Wide Stereo

OLED Black Friday Deals? (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Just finished watching Knowing on 4K Ultra HD disc. It was my first time watching a movie that actually completed post in 4K at home all the way through in 4K. It was spectacular. It looked better than it did when I originally saw it in theaters.

EDIT: While it was shot in 4K on RED cameras, apparently post-production was actually completed at 2K. So if I'm this impressed by an upconvert, I really can't wait for a true 4K presentation.

My only complaint so far is that the remote works like a Wii remote; you wave it around and select things with the arrow. I was never great with the Wii remote, and I'm not great with this one either. I prefer using arrow keys.
I have solved this problem. The TV that the OLED TV is replacing was also an LG, and I'd left the remote for that one out on my coffee table. I grabbed it out of habit, and lo and behold it works perfectly with the new TV as well. And I have my beloved arrow keys back!

My main remaining problem is that I've been dealing with a back/shoulder injury since July. Through months of trial and error, I'd found a chair position that was pretty tolerable in terms of discomfort. With the new TV, it's a bigger screen at a different height in a little bit different position. So now the trial and error process begins all over again...

Last edited:
Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I just noticed a nice bohus with a year free bonus Disney+ being available for many of the LG OLED set.
Thank you guys. I hadn't subscribed to Disney+ yet, so I was able to take advantage of this offer.

I submitted my claim on Tuesday, with copies of the receipt and invoice, and my claim was validated the same night. Under the terms of the offer, LG has up to 28 days to provide the redemption code once the claim is validated.

The redemption code arrived via email about half an hour ago. Once redeemed, I completed the registration process. I had to authorize a $1.00 charge to confirm that my authorized payment method was active.

Currently my billing details are as follows:
  • SUBSCRIPTION
    Disney+ Monthly

• SUBSCRIPTION PRICE
    $6.99 per month
    (plus taxes, where applicable)

• BILLING DATE
    November 21, 2020

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
I currently have a Sony 4K LED tv and have read a lot about OLED and it's great picture but it might not be as bright looking as a LED. Is there a big or small difference and does it depend on the manufacture and settings? I do look at my tv in the daytime and like a bright picture.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I currently have a Sony 4K LED tv and have read a lot about OLED and it's great picture but it might not be as bright looking as a LED. Is there a big or small difference and does it depend on the manufacture and settings? I do look at my tv in the daytime and like a bright picture.
I would probably stick with an LED, or ideally get a Quantum LED. You want to avoid cranking up the brightness of OLEDs. Even the current ones, since it wears out the panel faster.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
I would probably stick with an LED, or ideally get a Quantum LED. You want to avoid cranking up the brightness of OLEDs. Even the current ones, since it wears out the panel faster.
Thanks for the info and doing my homework by researching the pros & cons on the different tv screens.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
A while back I was berated for suggesting an OLED to someone who often viewed in a bright, sunlit room. So, I looked into it further and discovered that, in the situation, a good Quantum LED is preferable for several reasons. Now the opposite is happening.

FWIW, when I get a new TV in my HT, it will definitely be OLED, but if I replace the one in my sunroom, it'll be a QLED. Those decisions are based on all the information I was able to find.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
A while back I was berated for suggesting an OLED to someone who often viewed in a bright, sunlit room. So, I looked into it further and discovered that, in the situation, a good Quantum LED is preferable for several reasons. Now the opposite is happening.

FWIW, when I get a new TV in my HT, it will definitely be OLED, but if I replace the one in my sunroom, it'll be a QLED. Those decisions are based on all the information I was able to find.
John, you shouldn't take these differences of opinion personally. It's all a matter of opinion and some times we differ in such opinions.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Actually, I don't disagree that an OLED with be "just fine", but there are solid arguments to be made for a QLED under certain circumstances.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
I would recommend you do that, but, with a caveat that watching those displays can be deceiving depending on circumstances.
You are right about that and the settings the store have done on the tv's and of course the lighting conditions too. Will keep a open mind and maybe play with the remote if I can.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You are right about that and the settings the store have done on the tv's and of course the lighting conditions too. Will keep a open mind and maybe play with the remote if I can.
I’m very skeptical about evaluating TVs in the store for these and other reasons.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I was in Best Buy a couple days ago and couldn't believe how many boxes of TVs were inside that store--all sizes. 86"!!! Wow! Had to be multiple thousands of TVs waiting to fly out the door.

And most of them at pretty good prices, too.

Made me optimistic that prices will be pretty good when the time comes for me to upgrade,

One of the sets on display that I saw was the LG C9 (and the B9 too). They both looked very nice.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I was in Best Buy a couple days ago and couldn't believe how many boxes of TVs were inside that store--all sizes. 86"!!! Wow! Had to be multiple thousands of TVs waiting to fly out the door.

And most of them at pretty good prices, too.

Made me optimistic that prices will be pretty good when the time comes for me to upgrade,

One of the sets on display that I saw was the LG C9 (and the B9 too). They both looked very nice.
I think Peg would like one of those 86" TV's for Christmas. :D

My Mom wants a TV for her bedroom, so I'm shopping for one this year. Probably in the 50" range, though. I don't think an 86" would fit in the room. :eek:

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Even in the absence of any possibility of prematurely aging the panel, I'd still recommend a Quantum LED for this particular situation.

That's a completely different argument than scaremongering with no evidence. We've heard people making claims like this for years. None of it has born out. No fading. Very little image retention. It simply isn't a big thing. Can you damage one acting irresponsibly? Maybe. Will the average or enthusiast do so. Not likely.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnar...icking-time-bomb-inside-your-tv/#3210c43a363d

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks