What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Pre-Order Paramount Presents! Chinatown (1974) (4K UHD) (2 Viewers)

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
A pity they didn't include a blu ray of the remaster for those of us who haven't moved on to UHD yet. As to the cover art, the original Chinatown poster is iconic, one of the most gorgeous film posters ever! The new cover art would be just fine if the original poster didn't exist. I think the original film posters for Chinatown and Day Of The Locust are the best designed film posters of the 1970s.
Agreed. I have a copy in my viewing room.

IMG_6978.jpeg

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Jimbo.B

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dimitrios
A pity they didn't include a blu ray of the remaster for those of us who haven't moved on to UHD yet. As to the cover art, the original Chinatown poster is iconic, one of the most gorgeous film posters ever! The new cover art would be just fine if the original poster didn't exist. I think the original film posters for Chinatown and Day Of The Locust are the best designed film posters of the 1970s.
I agree that they’re terrific but I would add the ‘74 The Great Gatsby, ‘79 Alien and all the wonderful Richard Amsel posters: Lucky Lady, Murder on the Orient Express and Death on the Nile to that group.

Last edited:

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
And very deliberately left off the cover. In contrast to the upcoming Once Upon a Time In the West. However, a replica of the original one-sheet, with credits, is inside the cover.

View attachment 218445

View attachment 218446
I have no problem with that. Polanski isn't erased nor is his great film, but not additionally celebrating him is ok by me. Also, Two Jakes is an outstanding film in its own right, if not the masterpiece that is Chinatown. I am happy to be able to get everything together.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Hooray! Another Paramount title that has the potential to look really gorgeous on 4K UHD. We've been hoping for an upgrade for years.
One of my favorites, but I'm a bit gun shy with Paramounts "hit and miss" track record. Jusy give me a wonderful edition and to hell with the cover art. It's like dismissing a beautifull woman, because she has a mole, LOL!!!

Carl David

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Carl
One of my favorites, but I'm a bit gun shy with Paramounts "hit and miss" track record. Jusy give me a wonderful edition and to hell with the cover art. It's like dismissing a beautifull woman, because she has a mole, LOL!!!
Don't want to jinx it but even Paramount can't mess this one up if they have the OCN as the source.

They can even let George Lucas and Jim Cameron oversee this one and outsource the authoring to Madame Tussauds.

But cover does look tacky.

That's a first draft copy after 10 mins on Photoshop.

Just sayin'.

Real Name
Rolf Skrinde
Hideous slip cover. Hopefully the actual case cover will have the original artwork. And the lack of a blu ray is annoying. Is there a separate blu release?

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Hopefully the actual case cover will have the original artwork.

Do Paramount releases often (or ever) have different artwork between the case and slipcover? I'm pretty sure all the Paramount 4K discs I own have identical art on both.

Carl David

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Carl
Hideous slip cover. Hopefully the actual case cover will have the original artwork. And the lack of a blu ray is annoying. Is there a separate blu release?
Does it really cost too much to hire a painter/artist?

Don't mind if it's not the poster on the cover as long as some creativity goes into whatever is chosen.

A bit stingy and lazy to just spend 15 minutes in a software program and use that for the final product.

Carl David

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Carl
Do Paramount releases often (or ever) have different artwork between the case and slipcover? I'm pretty sure all the Paramount 4K discs I own have identical art on both.
The Beverly Hills Cop 4k has original poster on my UK UHD package.

Not sure if I have any other Paramount 4k discs.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I'm guessing the answer is "no," but I wonder if The Two Jakes will be remastered for this release, or if it will be the same Blu-ray that's currently available? It's been a while since I watched it, but my recollection is that the existing BR was pretty soft-looking, with lots of room for improvement.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
The Beverly Hills Cop 4k has original poster on my UK UHD package.

Not sure if I have any other Paramount 4k discs.

My copy of Beverly Hills Cop just has an isolated shot of Eddie Murphy.

bhc4k.jpg

It looks like his image was cut out from the original poster using the PhotoShop magic wand tool.

bhcposter.jpg

In any event, it's the same image on both the case and slipcover. I don't own any Paramount discs that have the original poster art on the case but different art on the slipcover. I know some other studios that have done that from time to time, but I haven't seen it from Paramount, myself.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I don't own any Paramount discs that have the original poster art on the case but different art on the slipcover. I know some other studios that have done that from time to time, but I haven't seen it from Paramount, myself.
The Paramount Presents discs have the original poster art inside the flap of the slipcase. Otherwise the disc case typically matches the front of the slipcase.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
The Paramount Presents discs have the original poster art inside the flap of the slipcase. Otherwise the disc case typically matches the front of the slipcase.

Ah, I see. Come to think of it, I don't believe I own any Paramount Presents titles.

Looking back a page, I see that post 17 in this thread has a photo of what this Chinatown package will look like opened up. Weird that the poster art will be sideways and folded. Just an awkward design all around. I'm not a fan. I think I'll take the disc out and put it in my Blu-ray SteelBook.

Carl David

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Carl
My copy of Beverly Hills Cop just has an isolated shot of Eddie Murphy.

View attachment 218501

It looks like his image was cut out from the original poster using the PhotoShop magic wand tool.

View attachment 218502

In any event, it's the same image on both the case and slipcover. I don't own any Paramount discs that have the original poster art on the case but different art on the slipcover. I know some other studios that have done that from time to time, but I haven't seen it from Paramount, myself.
I stand corrected.

Shows how much attention I give to the covers.

And yet I still complain.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Agreed, and is the supplied BD also from a 4K restoration of "The Two Jakes" or just a copy to add fill? if that's the case, I would have appreciated a BD version of the restored China Town, myself.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Ah, I see. Come to think of it, I don't believe I own any Paramount Presents titles.

Looking back a page, I see that post 17 in this thread has a photo of what this Chinatown package will look like opened up. Weird that the poster art will be sideways and folded. Just an awkward design all around. I'm not a fan. I think I'll take the disc out and put it in my Blu-ray SteelBook.

I will definitely be doing the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks