What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Pre-Order Paramount Presents! Chinatown (1974) (4K UHD) (1 Viewer)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Not including a Blu-ray of this new transfer is reprehensible.
There is always a move toward persuading people to upgrade yet again, hoping the newest format will bring renewed profits for classic titles. Guess they figure their earlier Blu-rays are still just fine for those who do not wish to take the next step. They probably don't wish to spend the nickels necessary to further replicate and then make space for them in their 4K releases.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
There is always a move toward persuading people to upgrade yet again, hoping the newest format will bring renewed profits for classic titles. Guess they figure their earlier Blu-rays are still just fine for those who do not wish to take the next step. They probably don't wish to spend the nickels necessary to further replicate and then make space for them in their 4K releases.
I believe stampers run around 6k.

reel-to-reel

Agent
Real Name
Robert
Here's a pic courtesy of ZaaviUs ...
View attachment 218587

One of the most essential film noir classics, CHINATOWN comes to 4K Ultra HD™ for its 50th Anniversary. Jack Nicholson is unforgettable as private eye Jake Gittes, living off the murky moral climate of sunbaked pre-war Southern California. Hired by a beautiful socialite (Faye Dunaway) to investigate her husband’s extra-marital affair, Gittes is swept into a maelstrom of double dealings and deadly deceits as he uncovers a web of personal and political scandals that come crashing together in one unforgettable night.

This 50th Anniversary Collector's Edition includes the following:
Rigid board slipcase
Theatrical poster
Six art cards with lobby style glossy photos on front. On the reverse side they combine to make a map of Chinatown
Reproduction ‘Land Sold sign’ art card
‘Jake Gittes’ business card
'Save our city’ reproduction flyer

"SPECIAL FEATURES
NEW! A State Of Mind: Author Sam Wasson On Chinatown
Commentary By Screenwriter Robert Towne With David Fincher
Chinatown Memories
The Trilogy That Never Was
Water And Power
Chinatown: An Appreciation
Chinatown: The Beginning And The End
Chinatown: Filming
Chinatown: The Legacy"

View attachment 218588
I thought that the b&w photos were the ones of Curly's unfaithful wife with her paramour.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Has it been confirmed the UHD will be using a new source and not retooling the master used for the BD ?

From the press release:

The exacting restoration was completed using the original camera negative, which was repaired using the latest technology in areas that had been previously damaged. The result is a sparkling 4K Ultra HD presentation that uses more of the best possible source than previous masters and faithfully captures the film’s distinctively dreamy and simultaneously realistic look.

tenia

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rémy
Yeah, I read this, but I recall the previous master having been prepped in 4K already, hence why this statement doesn't confirm to me it's new and not just a retooling.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunday Billy
Recent bookmarks