What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

General Discussion Rebecca (1940) (1 Viewer)

DVBRD

Second Unit
Real Name
Andy
Does anyone know if you can buy this Hitchcock masterpiece in digital download? It's a Best Picture Oscar winner for crying out loud.

Yes I know you can buy it on Blu-Ray, but let's face it. Physical media is not gonna last forever.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
My girlfriend brought this film up to me today and was aghast that I had never seen it.

So...this is my homework assignment.

I take it this is a "must-see" investment and that Criterion is the way to go?

compson

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
My girlfriend brought this film up to me today and was aghast that I had never seen it.

The Criterion was based on a 4K scan of the OCN and no doubt is superior to the previous releases. There was a subsequent French release by Carlotta Films using the same scan but with encoding by Fidelity In Motion. I haven’t compared the two, but I’m sure they’re both excellent.

The movie is certainly must-see for me. One of my favorite films. I’ve seen it numerous times.

uncledougie

Premium
Real Name
Doug
The Daphne du Maurier novel was a great read, and the film pretty much captured the moody, Gothic atmosphere about as well as could be hoped (though there were a few changes to details, as typical in adaptations). Performances are fine, the production values impeccable. The Criterion DVD was out of print for awhile until they remastered it, and it looks great. Don’t expect a typical Hitchcock sort of film; producer Selznick reportedly had a strong hand in the production which led to some clashes with the director. That it won Best Picture over The Grapes of Wrath may raise eyebrows, but it was a notable feat for the producer to win Best Picture Oscars two years in a row.

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
The book's darker ending was changed due to Production Code restrictions. The film still works.

Yeah, aside from some minor rearranging of events in the storyline, that was the only major change from the book I noticed. Had Hitchcock had his way, the film probably would have strayed even further from the book (among other things, he proposed naming the second Mrs. DeWinter Daphne after the author whereas in the book and the finished film, she has no first name).

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

I finally watched the Criterion Blu-ray, and it is wonderful. Did you finally manage to see it, Ron?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassidylhorne
Recent bookmarks