What's new

Ring Pro Doorbell (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I bought a Ring Pro doorbell last weekend.

I partially installed it to start. The good news is that the basics worked easily: wired it up, connected to wifi, and had doorbell functionality, notifications and video without trouble.

The downside, is that you need a good deal of space in your existing doorbell ringer housing to hold the wiring and power adapter for the Ring Pro (if you want the old doorbell to keep working.) My old doorbell is broken -- prompting this purchase -- but I bought a cheap mechanical doorbell so there would be chimes in case I missed a digital notification. And the new doorbell housing is too small to hold the wiring for Ring Pro.

The other challenge is going to be determining the right height to put the Ring and what to do with the existing door bell wiring...or keep it at the same location and accept cutting off heads if the visitor is standing close to the door.

After that trial-run, I decided I wouldn't return it and fully installed. It worked easily out of the box. No wifi problems, no router issues, no software hiccups. It was Apple-esque in the experience.

I also bought the $30 Chime. Instead of replacing my mechanical chime, I gutted the hardware and used its wall box to hide Ring Pro connections. I bought the Chime to have an in-house 'ding dong'. The Chime didn't sound initially. It seemed to have a polarized plug, so I reversed it in the outlet, and it worked after that. Perhaps it just needed a power reset to get going.

I've used the Ring Pro by both local wifi and LTE.

The quirks are: our house faces East. Motion alert seems to trigger every morning with sunrise. And every time we leave out the front door, we get a motion alert that, well, we're leaving. :) Connecting to live video is good, but not 100%.

And because we have an alcove entry, the wide field of view is mostly wasted.

It has a 30 day free trial of the video archive service. It's nice. But I don't know if I'll subscribe for $3/mo for the video archive.

Is it worth spending $300 to replace a dead $30 mechanical chime? Probably not. But it's a neat gadget and we're happy so far.
IMG_7583.jpg IMG_7587.jpg IMG_7586.jpg IMG_7589.jpg IMG_7590.jpg IMG_7591.jpg IMG_7592.jpg IMG_7588.jpg

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Cool, thanks for taking one for the team. I considered doing this and balked at the necessary subscription service. Thoughts on that?
“The Best Smart Doorbell Camera"
http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-smart-doorbell-camera/

SkyBell HD has free 7 day video review. Its Wirecutter's recco.

SkyBell looks like a great choice too. But its round shape wouldn't fit neatly on my door framing. The new Ring Pro is the right size. I also like that the Ring Pro has more marketing, it's advertised on podcasts, etc. It imbues some confidence in me that it will last, see software upgrades, etc.

YMMV :)

That's pretty neat-o. Unfortunately, the outside box would likely get stolen off the house in my neighborhood.
Ring Pro has free replacement if the external device is stolen.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
For those with DIY self esteem problems :) ... These devices are targeted to people afraid of wielding a screwdriver. The Ring Pro has clear printed instructions in the box. And the app has video instructions in it as well. The Ring has custome wire connections for simple connection of the Ring to your existing mechanical chime. The hardest part is figuring out how to fit the extra wiring bits into your existing chime box. (In my case, the chime was dead, so I gutted it and replaced the in-house chime with Ring's Chime.)

And to be clear: these work with your existing doorbell chime.

If you don't have any doorbell wiring to the front door, you might be better served by an option like the original Ring that runs on batteries.

If your house front is stucco or concrete, and not wood, you'll have to get a power drill to drill for wall anchors. The instructions show this, and the kits include a drill bit(!).

This was no more complex than setting up a new router or a new TiVo. And I recommend having a friend to help if you're going to be picky about the particular view of the doorbell camera. But I did this solo in an afternoon on a scorching hot day.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Another issue:

The reviews on these devices are terrible. More precisely, amidst the good reviews are substantial negative reviews on the products failing to work correctly, and horror stories of going round and round with inept customer service for weeks. And fakespot.com scores the Amazon reviews low.

I bought retail at full price so I could return easily if it didn't work out of the box.

It was easy peasy for me. But I recommend reading the negative reviews because there are wifi router issues or doorbell details that might matter to you.

For example, I think the SkyBell requires you have b/g wifi band active. "The Skybell HD supports n, but you do have to keep your router on b/g/n"

Ring says similar: "Ring Doorbell is compatible with wireless routers running 802.11 B, G, or N on 2.4 GHz."
I don't know abou Ring Pro. I've got my wifi set for both 2.4 and 5Ghz and it just connected.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Ring Pro is back. Service says our signal had severe interference during the down time. We're at a loss. Wifi was otherwise working.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
It's not a "doorbell"

If all you want are security cameras, there are loads of options. Many much cheaper than these, like power-over-IP 3MP cameras that go back to a PC you own, for no monthly fees.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
So what stop a bad guy/gal from just taping over the lens of that device when they approach and see it? Seems most folks with bad intentions would see that big ol' thing strapped to the door jam and do best to knock it off or like I said, cover it real quick.

I think I'd want something much more discrete.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
That's the high tech equivalent of asking why have a door peephole since someone can just put there hand over it. That itself is an obvious signal to the homeowner to not answer the door and perhaps even call 911.

So...Nothing. But they'll be recorded as they approach the door, before they can block the camera. And the homeowner can see there's no video, and if concerned, choose not to answer the door. And there's the speaker to ask who's there, etc.

If you want a discrete or less accessible security camera, there are loads of option for mountable cameras you can put up above your door.

What's getting lost here is this is a doorbell. That rings your smartphone (and indoor chime(s) no matter where you are at home or out.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Santa didn't come through so I ordered it my own damn self :)

Ring pro
by Sam Posten III, on Flickr

Door bell currently resides next to a perpendicular board which cuts off roughly a quarter of my view. Wondering if the corner kit would help, I don't think so tho. I don't need more space to install in the corner, I need to angle it 30 degrees into the door. Hmmmm.

I have zero mechanical skills and I installed it in 45 minutes ish. I'm a little concerned rain can drop down the back and get in the kit that way. May investigate caulking.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
My house doesn't have a wired doorbell system, so I suppose the original wireless versions is the one I should get? What is the subscription fee?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks