What's new

Ring Pro Doorbell (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I’ve been considering a security system from simplisafe or such. But sorting out external cameras is difficult. So I keep postponing the effort.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Crikey!

345C7AA0-F65A-4FC6-8006-5B4BD3148A2C.jpeg

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Thanks! It’s a really nice little development. I estimate the spider is bigger than a quarter. This is the third time it’s caught him during the day when I have not been home. Trust me that if I’m there I will rush out with a macro lens to get a good look at him/her.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
If there was a Ring-like no-effort product with all the privacy aspects of these standalone systems, I’d be interested. :)

We get anything like this yet?

We’re getting close to buying a video doorbell but there seems to be plenty of them around.
Ring looks like it has nearly a dozen choices.

Wired
Notification when someone is at the door
Real-time interaction with someone at the door
Access to recorded content similar to a dash cam

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Do We get anything like this yet?

We’re getting close to buying a video doorbell but there seems to be plenty of them around.
Ring looks like it has nearly a dozen choices.

Wired
Notification when someone is at the door
Real-time interaction with someone at the door
Access to recorded content similar to a dash cam
then Logitech doorbell meets the criteria. I replaced my ring when it died after 4 years, with the logi device.

I’m throwing the logi away next Spring, after about a year of ownership, and possibly replacing it with another Ring.

The Logitech for me is lousy. It overheats and goes offline almost daily. Sometimes multiple times a day. The Apple HomeKit integration, a key selling point for me, is far too limiting (Apple’s fault, but it becomes Logi’s problem regardless). There’s no customized ringtones to distinguish doorbell events from any of the other myriad notifications on the iPhone. For us, the sunk cost isn’t worth it. Better to lose $200 and get a useful doorbell than to keep suffering with this device. I’m only waiting because I want to replace in warm weather to ensure I discover any overheating problem while under warranty.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
@DaveF @TonyD - check out this one: https://wyze.com/wyze-doorbell.html

Nobody is perfect on privacy, but Wyze has been a good company in my dealings with them for cameras around the house.

It's a little klugey but you can actually get a lot of non-homekit devices working with homebridge.

I use this little box and then add plugins to support the devices that aren't compliant so they all work in Homekit

Last edited:

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Too many reviews on that Wyze that are weather related and I don’t think I’m a fan of the vertical only camera.

Looks like it includes a 12 second upload you do have to subscribe to their service for anything else.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I ended up buying a Ring doorbell 3 with an indoor cam.
I tried to buy the same Ring device with a One year Ring Plus included but while I could put it in my cart you couldn’t buy it and eventually it was replaced with this.

We also bought a Ring outdoor cam for the yard.
So we have three Ring devices and have a week left on our free one month trial of their Plus for recording and saving video.

No issues with the doorbell but the Outdoor cam gets fogged up at night and is almost useless because of it.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I ended up buying a Ring doorbell 3 with an indoor cam.
I tried to buy the same Ring device with a One year Ring Plus included but while I could put it in my cart you couldn’t buy it and eventually it was replaced with this.

We also bought a Ring outdoor cam for the yard.
So we have three Ring devices and have a week left on our free one month trial of their Plus for recording and saving video.

No issues with the doorbell but the Outdoor cam gets fogged up at night and is almost useless because of it.
None of our outdoor Ring devices fog up. Take a screen shot of what you see at night and open up a ticket with their support.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
I’m throwing the logi away next Spring, after about a year of ownership, and possibly replacing it with another Ring.

The Logitech for me is lousy. It overheats and goes offline almost daily. Sometimes multiple times a day. The Apple HomeKit integration, a key selling point for me, is far too limiting (Apple’s fault, but it becomes Logi’s problem regardless). There’s no customized ringtones to distinguish doorbell events from any of the other myriad notifications on the iPhone. For us, the sunk cost isn’t worth it. Better to lose $200 and get a useful doorbell than to keep suffering with this device. I’m only waiting because I want to replace in warm weather to ensure I discover any overheating problem while under warranty.
I just installed a Logitech Circle View doorbell. Just still seems to be the best choice for Homekit users as long as it won't be exposed direct sunlight. Love it so far. Fortunately my front door faces north so no direct sun to overheat the thing. Ringtones don't concern me. Homekit Secure Video and no subscription (other than iCloud that I am already paying for) and no other app to install or Homebridge integration needed sells it.

Plus the portrait view is perfect for my set back front door.

Last edited:

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Follow up to the foggy issue I was having.
That’s not inside the camera it’s on the lens.
Our sw Florida yard gets very humid in the evening and early morning so we get moisture on just about everything.
It’s not that bad and disappears once the sun comes up.

The major design flaw we have discovered is if the power and/or the internet goes out for an extended amount of time and they lose connection you can’t reconnect to your wifi unless you are at the device.

Now I’m 1500 miles from home, wifi went out all day yesterday and now my three rings, Nest thermostat and my Kwikset front door lock are disconnected and I can’t reconnect them until I get back to the house.

Not a great feature.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks