What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

RIP Dean Stockwell, 85 (1 Viewer)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I saw this sad announcement when I logged on this morning. A great loss. He was very talented and didn't get nearly the recognition during his life that he deserved. I guess winning Best Actor at Cannes was his greatest honor, but he deserved so much more. Thoughts to his family and friends.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I grew up seeing him on Quantum Leap and enjoyed his presence on Battlestar Galactica but I'll always remember him in Blue Velvet. His lip synching to In Dreams as Dennis Hopper watches is an indelible moment.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
A very good and sensitive actor who was brilliant in Compulsion. I'm sorry to see him go.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Loved him in nearly everything he was in. Paris Texas being my favorite role of his. Also liked his work on Quantum Leap. Thanks for the magic on the big, and small screen Dean Stockwell.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
He started as a child actor. RIP

220px-Boywithgreenhairposter.jpg

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
The Boy with Green Hair; Compulsion; Long Day's Journey into Night (Cannes Best Actor shared award); Blue Velvet; and so on...
A great loss; a great legacy. RIP.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Another actor whose contributions are such that an equally strong case could be made for remembering him and celebrating his career in this forum or the TV shows forum. A child actor who beat the odds and tried to protect future child performers from the pitfalls of the industry.

Scott Bakula, his co-star on "Quantum Leap", put out a lovely statement:

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
The Boy with Green Hair; Compulsion; Long Day's Journey into Night (Cannes Best Actor shared award); Blue Velvet; and so on...
A great loss; a great legacy. RIP.I

I was lucky to have seen Long Day's etc and Compulsion where I worked many times. Same goes for SONS AND LOVERS which I often watch on dvd. Such a memorable film and the music was also unforgettable. Dean was one of the most beautiful looking actors around in the fifties/sixties.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
No one's even mentioned his big Oscar-comeback yet.

I don't think Married to the Mob is that great -- it's amped up by Demme's direction (it's the movie where he starts going all in on the straight-to-the-camera talking closeups) and the cast -- but Stockwell's dumbass Mafia-boss unnerves everything the way Something Wild turns into a thriller when Ray Liotta shows up.

(Probably my favorite thing about Married to the Mob is that it uses Q Lazzarus's "Goodbye Horses" to punctuate a romantic scene between Matthew Modine and Michelle Pfeiffer...30 months before Jame Gumb tries his suit on and dances to it.)

Last edited:

filmnoirguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lon Cross
One of my all-time favorites. As a child actor, Anchor's Aweigh, Gentleman's Agreement and The Boy with Green Hair. As a 20-something actor, Compulsion, Sons and Lovers, Long Days Journey Into Night. And later an Oscar nod for Married to the Mob. Rest in Peace, Rest in Paradise, Dean Stockwell.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuperMarty88
Recent bookmarks