What's new

Amazon Prime Road House (2024) (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Doug Limen is boycotting the SXSW premiere of this film over Amazon's refusal to give the film a theatrical release. He says he signed up to make it as a theatrical release for MGM before Amazon bought them. This is absolutely scathing.

Carl David

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Carl
Would love to watch this but I haven't got 20 bucks.

Seriously though. Think this movie might surprise a few.

Could end up being much better than anyone would expect.

Me thinks you haters are just too stupid to have a good time.

Carl David

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Carl
That highlights my problem with setting out to make bad movies though- it needs to be organic. The '89 Road House is funny because they thought they were making an action movie and not a bad action movie.
You thought it was a bad action movie?

Just how?

It's a great action movie.

Commando is bad action movie.

Rambo: First Blood II is a bad action movie.

On Deadly Ground is a bad action movie.

The Peacemaker is a bad movie.

Double Impact is a bad action movie.

Road House is the gold standard of action movies in a world awash in plastic explosives.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Would love to watch this but I haven't got 20 bucks.
Amazon Prime doesn't cost $20. You can subscribe to just the streaming service (without shipping benefits) for $8.99 for one month, watch the movie cancel. If you've never had Prime before, then you can get a one-month free trial.

Last edited:

Carl David

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Carl
Amazon Prime doesn't cost $20. You can subscribe to just the streaming service (without shipping benefits) for $8.99 for one month, watch the movie cancel. If you've never had Prime before, then you can get a one-month free trial.
It was humour again.

Don't worry.

Will stick to straight posts.

The moderator nazis on here will end up removing them otherwise.

I sometimes feel HTF is a war blog. Any attempt at lightening the tone in threads seems to get attacked instantly.

Had a few deleted before so it appears jokes are not welcome.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The moderator nazis on here will end up removing them otherwise.

I sometimes feel HTF is a war blog. Any attempt at lightening the tone in threads seems to get attacked instantly.

Had a few deleted before so it appears jokes are not welcome.
That's a bridge too far!

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I have nothing against Jake G, and he's good in the trailer, but I'm not 100% convinced he's got the right charisma for the role.
I actually like that he's playing Dalton completely differently to Swayze. You're not going to do the original conception of the character better than Swayze did, so you might approach the character from a different angle.

With that said, "bad" movies are among my favorite kind of movies that can be highly entertaining which the first one was and judging by the trailer, this one will be too.
The trailer was more entertaining than I expected, however...

I'm in if it's anything like the first one with Patrick Swayzie. Road House is one of my faves, and it might be hard to top. There's only one Dalton.
...I don't know that it's possible to capture the strange alchemy of the original, which manages to be so bad it's good at times and genuinely good at other times -- a B-movie that elevates what it means to be a B-movie.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I seriously doubt this movie will come close to matching the original in any way. It doesn’t have the cast nor the newness the original film had when it was released. It can still be entertaining but I don’t think it’s even going to come close to matching the original even in that regard.

I’m glad it’s on Amazon because I don’t think I would’ve gone to a movie theater to see it. My days of going to the movies to indiscriminately watch any film are over with. I might see 8-10 movies a year in the theater which is my choice going forward.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
If I was going the movie theater I would totally see this new Road House in the theater if it was showing in the theater!

But so life has conspired against me. :D

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I feel like this should have Keanu Reeves as lead. Except he's got John Wick, so obviously not going to be him. Maybe Henry Cavil?

I have nothing against Jake G, and he's good in the trailer, but I'm not 100% convinced he's got the right charisma for the role.

And Patrick Swayze did?

Swayze was a terrible actor and a flat onscreen presence.

Gyllenhaal's a radically superior actor.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
As much as I love the original Road House having seen it in the movie theater during its theatrical run and owning the expensive Vinegar Syndrome 4K/UHD. This is a remake of a "bad" movie so it's going to be a "bad" movie too. With that said, "bad" movies are among my favorite kind of movies that can be highly entertaining which the first one was and judging by the trailer, this one will be too.

Remakes of bad movies can be good!

I think the most logical remakes are those where the original was bad but could have been good - ie, the premise/plot/characters have promise but the movie just wasn't well-executed.

I'm not sure I'd put the original "Road House" in that category, as it barely had a plot and the characters were thin at best.

But heck, the remake can't be worse than the original!

That one's not "so bad it's good". It's "so bad it's bad"! :D

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
No. The original was as awful as awful can be.

The presence of an actual actor in the lead automatically makes it better.
I disagree because the original wasn’t as awful as awful can be. Having a better actor in the lead doesn’t guarantee anything.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Doug Limen is boycotting the SXSW premiere of this film over Amazon's refusal to give the film a theatrical release. He says he signed up to make it as a theatrical release for MGM before Amazon bought them. This is absolutely scathing.

It must be a decision made specifically for this title, as MGM is still releasing films theatrically. They have The Beekeeper (which appears to have taken over #1 this weekend), American Fiction, and The Boys in the Boat, all in theaters now and a handful of others on the schedule for the rest of the year. If they wanted/intended this to be in theaters, it would be.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks