What's new

RYAN’S DAUGHTER: Discussions for a BD Release (2015 - 2024) (3 Viewers)

SwatDB

Second Unit
Real Name
David Brynskov
The Alamo. The Greatest Story Ever Told. Ryan's Daughter.
Raintree County [MGM], Lord Jim [Columbia], The Hallelujah Trail [UA], Krakatoa, East of Java [Cinerama Releasing Corp.], Song of Norway [Cinerama Releasing Corp.] and The Last Valley [Cinerama Releasing Corp.]

Allansfirebird

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sean
As for The Greatest Story Ever Told? Once again, restore this film, too. If, but for one reason. It’s George Stevens. Plus I wouldn’t want to be on record for opposing any of the creative works that are remotely connected to the Almighty or Max von Sydow.
There's a UK 3-disc blu-ray coming out at the end of the month for TGSET. I just preordered it, though I have little hope it'll be a better scan than the previous releases.

Reactions: PMF

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
Raintree County [MGM], Lord Jim [Columbia], The Hallelujah Trail [UA], Krakatoa, East of Java [Cinerama Releasing Corp.], Song of Norway [Cinerama Releasing Corp.] and The Last Valley [Cinerama Releasing Corp.]
All titles are proof that sometimes size doesn't matter.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
The harms done concern the first round of monies spent by the often unaware consumer. It’s also about where the monies have gone to; as well as the damages that have been inflicted.

Please refer to:

When visiting this above site, go to its search engines for a highly informative 4-Chapter essay entitled: Beware of Pirates! How to avoid Bootleg Blu rays and DVDs - by Brent Reid

I would strongly emphasize a reading of Chapter 3: Pirates and their Victims Speak

Many of whom were interviewed are names both cherished and respected by our HTF membership.

My advanced thanks and gratitude to Brenton Film for this link and publication.

Well of course I meant no harm done to the studio in a case where the customer is being unaware of possibly buying a bootleg like our member Indy Guy and then later he buys the "real" Blu-ray once it gets released. Should we encourage people to buy known bootlegs? Of course not. But do we always know if all of these releases in question are illegal to sell in certain countries? Wouldn't the big studios have enough clout to intervene and prevent those sales that have to be very low and inconsequential for a company like Amazon? Or is it a case of the studio just not being interested in going after small time resellers who possibly only sell a few dsozen units over the course of several years? Lots of questions considering the prevalence of "fishy" offers especially on Amazon Spain for a very long time.

What you are linking to is a totally different and very sad case where the Blu-ray exists and where consumers could purchase it from those people who put in all the work and some lowlife is stealing their work - it is heartbreaking.

In any case enough of that and back to Ryan's Daughter and stateside offers. I got the vudu 1080p version myself many years ago and it looks OK but of course it is no match for the 70mm versions that I had the pleasure to see on two occasions including the Swedish print at the Berlinale . Magnificent experiences that made me want to have at least a proper Blu-ray- if not UHD release!

• Appreciate

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
[…]
What you are linking to is a totally different and very sad case where the Blu-ray exists and where consumers could purchase it from those people who put in all the work and some lowlife is stealing their work - it is heartbreaking.

In any case enough of that and back to Ryan's Daughter and stateside offers. I got the vudu 1080p version myself many years ago and it looks OK but of course it is no match for the 70mm versions that I had the pleasure to see on two occasions including the Swedish print at the Berlinale . Magnificent experiences that made me want to have at least a proper Blu-ray- if not UHD release!
Just a footnote of clarification for the general reader. Piracy is not limited to Blu rays. DVDs have also fallen prey to traffickers.

Moving forward, I am envious of your having been able to experience any of the 70mm presentations of Ryan’s Daughter; inclusive of viewing the coveted Swedish print.

Thank you, OliverK, for your votes and continued support upon this thread towards our having a 4K/UHD release of Ryan’s Daughter.

P.S. When a disc release occurs, who do you bet will be stepping up to the plate? Warner’s, WAC or Criterion?

Last edited:

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
Just a footnote of clarification for the general reader. Piracy is not limited to Blu rays. DVDs have also fallen prey to traffickers.

Moving forward, I am envious of your having been able to experience any of the 70mm presentations of Ryan’s Daughter; inclusive of viewing the coveted Swedish print.

Thank you, OliverK, for your votes and continued support upon this thread towards our having a 4K/UHD release of Ryan’s Daughter.

P.S. When a disc release occurs, who do you bet will be stepping up to the plate? Warner’s, WAC or Criterion?
WAC or WBHV. I just don't think RD meets Criterion's criteria. I could be wrong and it could a favorite of one of the major people there. Somehow I doubt it.

• Appreciate

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell

I don't know about Criterion, but I can almost guarantee that Ryan's Daughter will NOT be coming from WHV. As far as I can tell, WHV has not had any new-to-blu debuts of any catalog titles since about 2015-2016 (I specifically mean movies, not TV shows or theatrical Shorts, which they have done since then). With regard to catalog titles, WHV's main focus seems to be on 4K UHD, and that's mainly for titles that they themselves released on Blu-ray (the main exception that I know of was Batman: Mask Of The Phantasm, but I've gotten the impression that that might have been a title they regretted letting WAC have). If WHV didn't release Ryan's Daughter on Blu-ray in the first place, it's likely because they didn't think that sales would be good enough to make it worthwhile (and I don't see it becoming any better for UHD, which George Feltenstein and others have mentioned as having a cost that is at least 4x that of Blu-ray). I do think that a Blu-ray is possible (and likely) to come from WAC, but a 4K is not going to happen unless Criterion does it.

• Insightful

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
For a while, around 2010--2011, there was serious buzz about a high-budget sequel being produced in which Sarah Miles was to reprise her role. It obviously never happened and now Ms. Miles is long since retired.
It would seem the best chance this film likely has (barring a sudden major resurgence of interest in Mitchum or Lean) for seeing the light of day on Bluray or UHD is if either a limited--series or film remake happens or if the studio/a licensee sees the 55th annivrsary (next year) as a sales advantage.

• Insightful

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
For a while, around 2010--2011, there was serious buzz about a high-budget sequel being produced in which Sarah Miles was to reprise her role. It obviously never happened and now Ms. Miles is long since retired.
It would seem the best chance this film likely has (barring a sudden major resurgence of interest in Mitchum or Lean) for seeing the light of day on Bluray or UHD is if either a limited--series or film remake happens or if the studio/a licensee sees the 55th annivrsary (next year) as a sales advantage.
Ms. Miles may be retired from the screen, but she still tours the provinces.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
[...]

This is a difficult one. I will say this:

Warner when they finally embrace Ryan's Daughter as an important movie regardless of how some critics perceived it.
It will make a fine UHD / BD combo release, maybe there will even be a tie-in of some kind with Dr. Zhivago for the two post-Lawrence Lean epics? Not that Zhivago has the same visual qualities but it certainly is the more popular movie.

WAC will most probably release it when there is "only" a Blu-ray.

Criterion would probably be up to it when Warner agrees for them to have it.
A scenario that I could see happening is Warner doing the 8K scanning of the OCN (or an IP but I would hope for the OCN) and some other initial work after that and at some point Criterion could be taking over and therefore making the project affordable for both Criterion and Warner. Not sure this has happened before but but the world of physical media releases is an ever-changing one and it is about time to get some proper physical releases out there for Ryan's Daughter.

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
This is a difficult one. I will say this:

Warner when they finally embrace Ryan's Daughter as an important movie regardless of how some critics perceived it.
It will make a fine UHD / BD combo release, maybe there will even be a tie-in of some kind with Dr. Zhivago for the two post-Lawrence Lean epics? Not that Zhivago has the same visual qualities but it certainly is the more popular movie.

WAC will most probably release it when there is "only" a Blu-ray.

Criterion would probably be up to it when Warner agrees for them to have it.
A scenario that I could see happening is Warner doing the 8K scanning of the OCN (or an IP but I would hope for the OCN) and some other initial work after that and at some point Criterion could be taking over and therefore making the project affordable for both Criterion and Warner. Not sure this has happened before but but the world of physical media releases is an ever-changing one and it is about time to get some proper physical releases out there for Ryan's Daughter.
IMG_9103.jpeg

Found this while going through some old files! This was in 70mm.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Wow! That was a very special screening, from in70mm.com:

"Ryan's Daughter" has a new 70mm print, made for color grading prior to manufacturing new 65mm and 35mm interpositives. The original negative is in excellent condition, and did not need any "restoration". This is the only print, and it does not have sound. It was shown last November [2002] at the Academy of Motion Picture, Arts & Sciences, using double system, with the 6 track magnetic sound. It is not available for other use.

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
Wow! That was a very special screening, from in70mm.com:

"Ryan's Daughter" has a new 70mm print, made for color grading prior to manufacturing new 65mm and 35mm interpositives. The original negative is in excellent condition, and did not need any "restoration". This is the only print, and it does not have sound. It was shown last November [2002] at the Academy of Motion Picture, Arts & Sciences, using double system, with the 6 track magnetic sound. It is not available for other use.

Thank you for finding that and posting. A very memorable night. Yes, I recall a quick intro before the screening discussing the new print etc. I have to say the 70mm visuals were breathtaking at times.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Kino Lorber has gained so mightily in their 4K/UHD output. If WAC, Warner’s or Criterion are not going to jump at Ryan’s Daughter, then maybe Kino Lorber should give some considerations towards a release.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Kino Lorber has gained so mightily in their 4K/UHD output. If WAC, Warner’s or Criterion are not going to jump at Ryan’s Daughter, then maybe Kino Lorber should give some considerations towards a release.
They got some work to do before that happens.

WoutV

Auditioning
Real Name
Wout Visser
Exploiting a small home cinema community in my hometown in the Netherlands, we plan to show Ryan's daughter'. The DVD we have shows a runtime of 103 minutes, which is totally different from the IMDB's 200 minutes (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066319/?ref_=ttalt_ov). IMDM mentions an alternate version of 195 minutes, but this is still way more than 103. I also came accross a version of 206 minutes! Searching on the internet did not give me a clue about the reasoning and specs behind the shortened version. I hope this forum leads to relevant sources. This might help to decide if it's worthwhile to show this dvd.
Kind regards,
Wout

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tennispro786
Recent bookmarks