What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Scott Atwell Star Trek Discussion thread (Series and Films) (3 Viewers)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I can imagine that as time rolls on, we’ll see less of the TOS cast appear in the promotions of the new Star Trek shows as the studio wants to appeal to the new younger audience. It’s a shame and an unfortunate thing that happens.
At least we got Walter Koenig as President Anton Chekov in Picard season 3! It was only a voice cameo, but it was a great moment.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I don't know how many here watch the new Night Court series, but this week's episode has a nice bit of Trek connection. The episode is titled "Wrath of Comic-Con", and uses the NY Comic Con as the theme of the episode's insanity. Anyway, Dan Fielding needs to hide from a crazy woman (Wendie Malick) who's trying to do him in, so with a little help from a couple of the other characters, he's dressed up as Larroquette's Klingon character from The Search for Spock. Even refers to himself as "Maltz". :thumbs-up-smiley:

Last edited:

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
What does he mean "erased"? Here he is... what a complainer.

Picard season 3:

star-trek-picard-season-3-james-t-kirk-easter-egg-daystrom.jpg

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I loved the Ben Robinson star trek celebration books of star trek TOS and Voyager. Is it known if there was to be a TNG or DS9 celebration book in the works??

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I never quite figured out the existence of those two books. I don’t own them yet myself and have them in my list of books to collect. My reason for my hesitation is due to their connection to Eaglemoss, the company that had been manufacturing small scale replicas of Star Trek ships, from every series. I don’t own any of those models either. From what I’ve seen, they range from fair to decent quality. so the books seemed like a tie-in to the models.

i did a quick check to see if Eaglemoss was still around, and it appears they are bankrupt. Or are in administratio, whatever that means. So I assume there’s no plans for more books.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I never quite figured out the existence of those two books. I don’t own them yet myself and have them in my list of books to collect. My reason for my hesitation is due to their connection to Eaglemoss, the company that had been manufacturing small scale replicas of Star Trek ships, from every series. I don’t own any of those models either. From what I’ve seen, they range from fair to decent quality. so the books seemed like a tie-in to the models.

i did a quick check to see if Eaglemoss was still around, and it appears they are bankrupt. Or are in administratio, whatever that means. So I assume there’s no plans for more books.
Nelson both books were very well done and had great new information in them too.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Nelson both books were very well done and had great new information in them too.

Thanks! I never doubted they are well done books! That’s great to hear your input. I recall seeing the writer interviewed in connection to the Eaglemoss model ships. He sounded like a real fan. Thanks, I’ll pick them up.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
On a side diversion, I had a reason to finally open and start to rip the Mission Impossible TV series scores CD box set from La La Land into iTunes.,I’ve had the set since they were released. So I took a break from Star Trek the last two nights and watched the Mission Impossible Pilot and the episode The Ransom.

It’s note worthy to me to see so many Star Trek TOS guest stars in Mission Impossible and I know we’ve discussed it before. I just found it amazing that one week an actor is on Star Trek and the next, he’s in the next stage working on Mission Impossible. It’s great to see. No doubt due to Joseph D’Agosta.

In The Ransom, there are 6 actors that also did Star Trek, William Smithers as Egan an underworld mob boss, Don Marshall is a cop, Michael Barrier is an intern/doctor, Vic Tayback is a goon, Jack Donner is a goon/driver, and Eddie Paskey is an un-named extra who plays a body double in the IMF team. Fun episode too.

And about the M:I TV score set, it’s cool to hear the tracks by Gerald Fried. Has a familiar ring. :)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
On a side diversion, I had a reason to finally open and start to rip the Mission Impossible TV series scores CD box set from La La Land into iTunes.,I’ve had the set since they were released. So I took a break from Star Trek the last two nights and watched the Mission Impossible Pilot and the episode The Ransom.

It’s note worthy to me to see so many Star Trek TOS guest stars in Mission Impossible and I know we’ve discussed it before. I just found it amazing that one week an actor is on Star Trek and the next, he’s in the next stage working on Mission Impossible. It’s great to see. No doubt due to Joseph D’Agosta.

In The Ransom, there are 6 actors that also did Star Trek, William Smithers as Egan an underworld mob boss, Don Marshall is a cop, Michael Barrier is an intern/doctor, Vic Tayback is a goon, Jack Donner is a goon/driver, and Eddie Paskey is an un-named extra who plays a body double in the IMF team. Fun episode too.

And about the M:I TV score set, it’s cool to hear the tracks by Gerald Fried. Has a familiar ring. :)
That’s cool. I should give that series a chance again.

Star Trek original series volume 4 from LaLaLand Records is up for preorder too:

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I believe it was because if D'Agosta cast an actor for multiple series, the respective shows could get their services for less money because D'Agosta was getting them multiple jobs at once. So you'd see the same actors across Star Trek, Mission and Mannix, etc.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
That also included Takei doing a guest shot on "Mission" and Walter Koenig doing one "Mannix" when they weren't needed on Trek.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Yes, George Takei’s guest role on Mission Impossible was cool to finally see when I first got the DVDs years ago. It’s fascinating because it’s an acting job done simultaneously while doing Star Trek.

I don’t have Mannix on disc so I had not seen seen Walter Keonig had done an episode of that series. I like Mannix, but I’ve never bought it on disc. Maybe if I wait long enough, it will get a blu ray release. :)

Of course Nimoy joined the cast of Mission Impossible in the fourth year after Martin Landau and Barbara Bain had not returned.

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
I believe it was because if D'Agosta cast an actor for multiple series, the respective shows could get their services for less money because D'Agosta was getting them multiple jobs at once. So you'd see the same actors across Star Trek, Mission and Mannix, etc.
So how close did we get to having Carroll O'Connor (Mission: Impossible) or Larry Linville (Mission and Mannix) on Star Trek?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
On another note, I had been trying to pick up the Star Trek The Official Guide to the Animated Series book. It wasn't available on Amazon or other venues except used. Amazon finally had new copies, so I finally got it Without paying a premium!

I wanted to get this book before I proceeded further in my re-viewing of TAS.,
IMG_2913.jpeg

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
They could take the soundtracks of the animated series and use modern animation to make it very realistic looking. The stories overall are really good IMO, but I do find the Filmation style distracting.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
On another note, I had been trying to pick up the Star Trek The Official Guide to the Animated Series book. It wasn't available on Amazon or other venues except used. Amazon finally had new copies, so I finally got it Without paying a premium!

I wanted to get this book before I proceeded further in my re-viewing of TAS.,
View attachment 212834
This is a nice book. I’ve always had trouble watching the animated series. Even to this day I don’t think I’ve watched them all. I do own them on Blu-ray…

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I bailed on the animated series after 3 or 4 episodes when it originally aired. Then and now, I have issues with the animation (Filmation in general - all their stuff looks cheap) and the "phoned in" sound of the majority of the dialog, especially from Shatner. In spite of that I own DVD & BR copies of the series but rarely watch them (even less frequently than TNG, my least favorite of the Roddenberry series).

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I bailed on the animated series after 3 or 4 episodes when it originally aired. Then and now, I have issues with the animation (Filmation in general - all their stuff looks cheap) and the "phoned in" sound of the majority of the dialog, especially from Shatner. In spite of that I own DVD & BR copies of the series but rarely watch them (even less frequently than TNG, my least favorite of the Roddenberry series).
As a TOS fan I feel like I should watch them all but I also feel after a couple it’s hard for me to continue. I even listened to some podcasts on select episodes and it still didn’t seem to help me.

I never cared for TNG but I may give the series another look. Same with Enterprise.

My wife and I watched all of ds9 and voyager a few years ago.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
On my recent re-Watch, I stopped after The Lorelei Signal. I wanted to get the book before I go further.

I enjoyed the episodes up to the Lorelei Signal. Though the story for One of Our Planets is Missing is pretty good, I thought the dialogue was simplistic at times. Perhaps due to the audience. Yesteryear is the highlight. It’s a great episode and nice to see Mark Lenard return as Sarek. It was a very mature story. Lorelei Signal I felt was a weaker entry, but nice to see the women do the work!

Regarding Shatner’s phoned in performance, I saw an interview with him back in the day. He felt it was difficult to record his lines while traveling around the country doing his theater work. He found it difficult because there wasn’t another actor to bounce his performance against to get some energy going. So yeah, I hear that lack of energy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adityalbarrett
Recent bookmarks