What's new

Sony's 2022-23 Native 4K HDR Laser Projector line-up (1 Viewer)

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
$5999 MSRP for the 5000! That’s what I hoped, but still a pleasant surprise. I’m bummed it’s a wholly manual lens. Epson at $5000 and JVC for $7000 are fully motorized.

I’m looking forward to learning more!

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Well, like @DaveF I'm excited to see this announcement for multiple reasons but somewhat bummed that the base model lacks a motorized lens and appears to also lack 3D support if I'm reading the spec sheet right. I use my motorized lens almost daily for fine adjustments.

The 6000 is absolutely what I would want but, sadly, out of my price range.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
A $7000 premium for the 6000 to get 3-D, motorized & selected lens, etc.

Yep, crossing another one off. 😳

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Well, like @DaveF I'm excited to see this announcement for multiple reasons but somewhat bummed that the base model lacks a motorized lens and appears to also lack 3D support if I'm reading the spec sheet right. I use my motorized lens almost daily for fine adjustments.

The 6000 is absolutely what I would want but, sadly, out of my price range.
I can lose the 3D — haven’t watched a 3D movie in 3+ years. I don’t have motorized focus and lens shift now, so I can get along without it…but if I’m spending $5000+ I’d rather not.

But I expect Sony to have 2x better contrast (lower black floor) than the Epson. And maybe better HDR processing than Epson?

The Sony isn’t as bright as the Epson, but I’ve got a 120” screen at 16’ throw in a light-controlled room, so I don’t need a super bright projector.

Lack of HDMI 2.1 and 120Hz support is a concern for a $6000 projector that needs to last me 5+ years.

The biggest weakness is Sony is charging a $1000 premium for its brand name, but “Sony” no longer has any cachet to me over other major electronics brands. It’s not 2000 any more, let alone 1990 when Sony was what Apple is today.

Overall, on paper, the Sony is an interesting set of compromises for me against the LS12000 for $1000 more.

Last edited:

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Robert did in the video and Big Johnny Archer said almost the same thing as a Sony talking point:

“There’s some good news for gamers with the XW5000ES, too, as Sony reports that it’s got the amount of time the projector takes to render 50/60Hz image data when running in its fast response mode down to just 21ms. Happily, the XW5000ES adds support for 120Hz gaming too, and at this frame rate the image rendering delay drops to a mere 13ms. It is a slight shame, though, that none of the HDMI ports found on any of the new Sony projectors have enough bandwidth to support full 4K resolutions at 120Hz or variable refresh rates, despite these features being available (later this week in VRR’s case!!) from Sony’s own PS5 console. You can only run 120Hz at 1080p resolution.”

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
But I expect Sony to have 2x better contrast (lower black floor) than the Epson. And maybe better HDR processing than Epson?
It would have to in order to beat out the LS12000 in my opinion. Now the wait begins for some sort of shootout between the two but I also suspect JVC is listening.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
It would have to in order to beat out the LS12000 in my opinion. Now the wait begins for some sort of shootout between the two but I also suspect JVC is listening.
Robert did in the video and Big Johnny Archer said almost the same thing as a Sony talking point:

“There’s some good news for gamers with the XW5000ES, too, as Sony reports that it’s got the amount of time the projector takes to render 50/60Hz image data when running in its fast response mode down to just 21ms. Happily, the XW5000ES adds support for 120Hz gaming too, and at this frame rate the image rendering delay drops to a mere 13ms. It is a slight shame, though, that none of the HDMI ports found on any of the new Sony projectors have enough bandwidth to support full 4K resolutions at 120Hz or variable refresh rates, despite these features being available (later this week in VRR’s case!!) from Sony’s own PS5 console. You can only run 120Hz at 1080p resolution.”
Ah. From what I’ve read elsewhere, Sony is explicitly not marketing this as a top gaming projector. One person at the announcement says Sony‘s position is that if you’re a hardcore gamer looking for the best display, you’ll buy their QOLED Master Series direct view.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Early look “review” shows native contrast is 10,000:1 (as i expected), about double Epson and about half JVC.

cr_5000.png

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Early pre-reviews are looking good to great. Contrast is 13k to 18k, similar to prior Sony. This is getting close to JVC, I believe. The HDR is said to be more than competent (I'd had the impression Sony HDR mapping wasn't good, but I'm reading more that it's pretty good and maybe a bit better still in the new model.)

The biggest knock I've read for my interests is that the 5000ES lens suffers some halos and streaking decreasing in-scene contrast. Apparently JVC NX series had this same problem, now corrected with the NZ8 and NZ9 (but maybe not NZ7) and likely also mitigated with the Sony 6000ES and 7000ES).

Missing 120Hz and motorized controls are for me not killers; but compromises to weigh in the $5k to $7k price range.

Gotta watch this one with auto-translate on and read the subs.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
Sony's new VPL-XW5000Es and the 6000ES and 7000ES can do 4K @60Hz and 120Hz at 2k resolution. So if you are gaming with a 120Hz game you can quickly switch between 2k @120Hz and 4K @60Hz to see which gaming experience you prefer. This limitation is only for 4K 120Hz games and nothing else.

I had the pleasure of seeing Sony's new XW500ES and the 6000XW and 7000XW in person at Sony's NYC March 17th press conference and a private meeting after the press conference.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I’m coming back to Sony XW5000 might be the right set of compromises for me. Unfortunately, Sony just announced a month delay in shipping already. On the plus side, an extra month for me to find the money. :)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I go round and round on LS12000 —> XW5000 —> NP5 on what to buy from internet research. I think I might be settling on the Sony 5000 as the right set of compromises. Contrast that’s definitely “quite good” and also bright enough. Combined with continued indications the HDR is improved and generally competent. And is closer to $5k than $10k.

If I could “Build a Bear” my perfect $6000 projector, I’d swap out native 4K for 4-way eShift to upgrade HDMI to get 4K @ 120 Hz or put in a motorized lens. But since that’s not how projectors work (alas) I think I can accept Sony’s calculus overall.

It’s all pre-review “ooh shiny!” hot takes for now. But it’s all really encouraging and exciting hot takes.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Here's a great head-to-head of the JVC NZ7 (RS2100) and the new Sony 6000ES. The Sony 5000 is a no-go for me as I absolutely need my motorized lens.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Here's a great head-to-head of the JVC NZ7 (RS2100) and the new Sony 6000ES. The Sony 5000 is a no-go for me as I absolutely need my motorized lens.
Beware with this video since it has problems. Their “calibration” is uncalibrated. The JVC is clearly setup wrong and possibly defective. They’re not especially competent projector “reviewers”.

I take some encouraging early optimism about the Sony. But as a comparison to JVC, this video should probably be ignored.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unbob
Recent bookmarks