What's new

"The Crow" remake? (1 Viewer)

Shane D

Supporting Actor
the first one is ok since they had to deal with his death and change the script. I would have liked to seen what that movie could have been had he not died.
Brandon lee was the perfect crow and and 16 years really isn't enough time to me to be remaking the movie he lost his life to.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
The first film, despite Brandon Lee's passing, is a masterpiece of tragedy, action and pure revenge and I'm appalled that it's going to be raped, er, um, I mean remade.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Originality, not to mention the fact that Lee dying during filming cast a palpable pall on the film that makes the experience of watching it even more powerful.

The writing, mood, lighting, sets, acting, music (that music!) and narrative are all superior to the sequels.

It also is truer to James O'Barr's vision in his graphic novel, his novel was written out of pure pain over the loss of his family, each page is infused with grief and the first film mirrors that more so than the sequels.

The sequels were born out of profit, the original was born out of love and respect for the source material and it shows.

I really don't even know why they're bothering with this, the whole idea of remakes is to introduce and make accessible a story that might be otherwise alien to a younger audience...that isn't true here.

The Crow is steeped in Gothic themes, it's dark, dank and full of the same dread that today's teens love more than any other time in it's history.

With the popularity of Hot Topic, The Nightmare Before Christmas and the resurgence of angst-ridden vampire tales like Twilight, True Blood and The Vampire Diaries the original film is right up the alley of today's youth which is why this remake makes no sense whatsoever.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Looks like Bill's giving his best "blue steel" look. :laugh:

1709134376995.png
1709134427015.png

Wes Candela

Premium
Real Name
Wes Candela
Not sure I've ever seen the original. Though I enjoyed several of the director's other films.
It’s worth a look, in 1994. I had never seen anything like that on the screen.Brandon Lee it gave everything he had

And Alex has vision.

i'm sure the final version would have ended up a bit different and tighter had Brandon Lee not died on set but it's excellent as it is.

I would definitely check it out
"is that gasoline I smell?"

Wes Candela

Premium
Real Name
Wes Candela
I rewatched The Crow on Devil's Night last year. I hadn't seen it in years and years.

I found it mesmerizing and still quite potent and effective. It certainly has a vision, commits to it, and reaps the rewards.

I have zero interest in this particular remake.
100% Agreed.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I don't mind remakes, per se. I don't think of them as any more problematic than a restaging of a classic Broadway show.

Sure, a remake can end up just being a paint-by-numbers reshoot of the original with a different cast. But it can also present a new take on the story. I'm dubious about whether this particular remake will be any good, but we won't know until it's out there. I'm sure that there were people who were just as dubious about Carpenter's remake of The Thing from Another World.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
There is good news. The 1994 original is coming to 4K soon, and absolutely still delivers. I watched it last year for the first time in forever, and it still worked for me, top to bottom. Proyas is genuinely visionary director, the soundtrack remains fantastic, and Lee, Hudson, Kelley (and his crew), and Wincott are all great.

That trailer (and song) are a mediocre cover band version at best.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cindydo
Recent bookmarks