What's new

The Farmer's Daughter (1963-1966) (1 Viewer)

Hoagie78

Agent
Real Name
Chris
A lot of Screen Gems sitcoms have been released on DVD , but one that has not seen the light of day is The Farmer's Daughter. The last time that show was probably rerun was back in the 1980's on the old defunct CBN network. I read when Antenna TV launched they were going to air it. Then it fell through and Sony claimed the film elements were not in good condition.

A poster said Sony probably went looking for the 30 plus year old tape transfers and could not find them. Since Sony figures there is not much money to be made they refused to make new transfers from the original 35mm negatives.

The show starred Inger Stevens and William Windom and ran from 1963-1966. The first two seasons were in black and white and the third in color.

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
A lot of Screen Gems sitcoms have been released on DVD , but one that has not seen the light of day is The Farmer's Daughter. The last time that show was probably rerun was back in the 1980's on the old defunct CBN network. I read when Antenna TV launched they were going to air it. Then it fell through and Sony claimed the film elements were not in good condition.

A poster said Sony probably went looking for the 30 plus year old tape transfers and could not find them. Since Sony figures there is not much money to be made they refused to make new transfers from the original 35mm negatives.

The show starred Inger Stevens and William Windom and ran from 1963-1966. The first two seasons were in black and white and the third in color.
I know many of us here are frustrated this was never given a proper release. I'm sure you've probably seen the Willam Windom Tribute Site on YouTube. Back on September 15th, 2021 I spent many many hours posting the most watchable episodes from that channel here in my Obscure Classic TV Shows - Post Your Favorites! thread. Even the best are pretty horrible but likely we'll never see anything better. I hope I'm wrong.

stuartfanning

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Stuart Fanning

I thought these may be of interest.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Really would love to see the Farmer's Daughter and My World and Welcome to It come out with a proper DVD release.
Both shows were remarkably well written and starred the underrated William Windom. TFD episode "Past Prologue" where Inga Stevens played both her her regular character and that of Governor Morley's late wife IMHO was incredible innovative and I wish other shows would have tried some daring like that. I feel bad that so many 60's programs that have yet to be rediscovered by a modern audience, haven't. IMHO the writing and acting were better back then.

--jthree

Last edited:

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
P.S. Really hope there's a renaissance with older programs coming out on DVD again. Probably not, still Twelve O'Clock High, The Name of the Game, Run for Your Life, He and She, Accidental Wife, and others still are good shows and deserve their chance.

--jthree

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee

Unless there is interest to do a restoration project, seems like this series might be lost to the sands of time which is unfortunate.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member

The reason they couldn't find tape transfers is because there aren't any. When the show ran in the 80s on CBN (also in Dallas by the way), they ran off 16mm film prints. The show was never transferred to tape.

tvnutt

Auditioning
Real Name
Jenna
Hi, I'm the owner of the William Windom Tribute site online and YT. I have the most complete collection of the show on YT. I have multiple emails from archivists and Sony. The show bombed in syndication and Sony or rather Columbia never put the films to 1/2 inch video. Only the originals remain and Sony says it's too expensive to restore. Even CBN didn't show all 101 episodes. Antenna never got it because the sales department spoke before checking with the archives. I was told this by the Sony archivist from that time. He had to tell sales to call off the agreement with Antenna. Not even Mickey Sholdar has the episodes. I'm still trying with help from Lucille Ball's archivist and other people in the entertainment industry.

Purple Wig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alan
IMG_0407.jpeg

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Just to clarify the above statement, broadcast video isn't "1/2 inch". In the 80s, it would have been 1 inch tape and then afterwards Beta SP (not the same as home beta) and then in the 90s, digibeta was used.
By the way, besides CBN, the show also ran in Dallas in the 80s, more complete than the CBN airings.

Todd_Z

Agent
Real Name
Todd Zaganiacz
Does anyone have an idea of just how much it would cost for restoration on these. Wondering if a kick starter fund raising (ala what was started for the Ozzie & Harriet shows) would bring enough funds for these to be restored and finally see the light of day

Sky King

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Todd_Z,

I feel your pain…I’m still waiting for a complete, restored release of Ben Casey.
So frustrating to see lesser shows IMHO getting released on DVD while better classic shows languish in The Twilight Zone.

John

Todd_Z

Agent
Real Name
Todd Zaganiacz
Todd_Z,

I feel your pain…I’m still waiting for a complete, restored release of Ben Casey.
So frustrating to see lesser shows IMHO getting released on DVD while better classic shows languish in The Twilight Zone.

John
John, there are numerous series I would love to see get a full, complete series release but will probably never see the light of day. It's interesting in that I can remember years ago (late 90's) having a discussion with a WB sales rep when dvd's had taken off like wildfire and they were starting to release some TV shows (Friends, Sopranos etc) I had talked at length with him about digging into the vault for more and releasing the entire run of a show. At the time, he said they didn't have much faith that the public would embrace complete series sets. Just goes to show you how much has changed over the years.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
John, there are numerous series I would love to see get a full, complete series release but will probably never see the light of day. It's interesting in that I can remember years ago (late 90's) having a discussion with a WB sales rep when dvd's had taken off like wildfire and they were starting to release some TV shows (Friends, Sopranos etc) I had talked at length with him about digging into the vault for more and releasing the entire run of a show. At the time, he said they didn't have much faith that the public would embrace complete series sets. Just goes to show you how much has changed over the years.
or that they are clueless about what the public would embrace !!

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
or that they are clueless about what the public would embrace !!
Or they are more likely right and tiny communities like HTF, with their fandom for classic TV, is over selling what the true general public will embrace. Based on what I've inferred from "ClassicFlix" who is actually in the business of producing classic TV releases, the market is nowhere near as large as many here would like to believe to justify the restoration/transfer costs of many of these shows.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
there are a number of points i would like to make, with regards to releases

1) how expensive is it to pay actors and make new shows, versus restoring film that is already present ?

2) i think most of the HTFers are thinking about all the old people who want them back for nostalgic reasons. and no doubt these are the people who will be the first purchasers. but i am actually thinking of the far greater percentage of people who have never even heard of the show before, like the farmer's daughter, or ozzie and harriet, or most of the old shows. even bonanza is not known to the majority of 30-year olds. the restoration process is only done once.

3) i talk to lots of young people. many of them are almost as sick and tired of today's society as i am. i think they would love to see some of this "old-fashioned" stuff, with better morality, better acting, better writing, etc. of course, it may take a little bit of advertising to get the snowball rolling down the mountain !!

4) not all of the old shows are good, but i would say that most of them are pretty good, and well worth the investment of restoration. i remain confident about their eventual releases.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Or they are more likely right and tiny communities like HTF, with their fandom for classic TV, is over selling what the true general public will embrace. Based on what I've inferred from "ClassicFlix" who is actually in the business of producing classic TV releases, the market is nowhere near as large as many here would like to believe to justify the restoration/transfer costs of many of these shows.

This! Over and over and over again until it sinks in. Those of us here are NOT the majority of the physical media buying populace.

Gary "and with that said - Happy Thanksgiving everyone" O.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks