What's new

The Farmer's Daughter (1963-1966) (2 Viewers)

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
there are a number of points i would like to make, with regards to releases

1) how expensive is it to pay actors and make new shows, versus restoring film that is already present ?

2) i think most of the HTFers are thinking about all the old people who want them back for nostalgic reasons. and no doubt these are the people who will be the first purchasers. but i am actually thinking of the far greater percentage of people who have never even heard of the show before, like the farmer's daughter, or ozzie and harriet, or most of the old shows. even bonanza is not known to the majority of 30-year olds. the restoration process is only done once.

3) i talk to lots of young people. many of them are almost as sick and tired of today's society as i am. i think they would love to see some of this "old-fashioned" stuff, with better morality, better acting, better writing, etc. of course, it may take a little bit of advertising to get the snowball rolling down the mountain !!

4) not all of the old shows are good, but i would say that most of them are pretty good, and well worth the investment of restoration. i remain confident about their eventual releases.

I love your points, Jimmy. I really do. And no one wants more old releases (especially b&w ones) as much as I do. But from what I gather the only way it's going to happen is either via an advocate in high places (i.e. someone who owns/works at one of the companies pushing hard for older stuff) AND/OR a sugar-daddy (someone who will fund the restoration because they are likely a fan as well). But I don't believe there are enough consumers who will buy Farmer's Daughter to sell the proposition to a company without one of the other factors I listed above also being involved. Heck, the only reason we have Ozzie & Harriet is because Sam Nelson (a family member with some skin in the game) got heavily involved.

Gary "but I sure hope your points prove out to be true and we see more classic releases - believe me I hope you are correct" O.

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
This! Over and over and over again until it sinks in. Those of us here are NOT the majority of the physical media buying populace.

Gary "and with that said - Happy Thanksgiving everyone" O.
Yes, sad, but true. Let us be thankful with what we have. Happy Thanksgiving!

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
Every year The National Film Registry selects 25 films each year showcasing the range and diversity of American film heritage to increase awareness for its preservation.

Is there such a thing for Television?

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
Yes, sad, but true. Let us be thankful with what we have. Happy Thanksgiving!
I love your points, Jimmy. I really do. And no one wants more old releases (especially b&w ones) as much as I do. But from what I gather the only way it's going to happen is either via an advocate in high places (i.e. someone who owns/works at one of the companies pushing hard for older stuff) AND/OR a sugar-daddy (someone who will fund the restoration because they are likely a fan as well). But I don't believe there are enough consumers who will buy Farmer's Daughter to sell the proposition to a company without one of the other factors I listed above also being involved. Heck, the only reason we have Ozzie & Harriet is because Sam Nelson (a family member with some skin in the game) got heavily involved.

Gary "but I sure hope your points prove out to be true and we see more classic releases - believe me I hope you are correct" O.
have a happy thanksgiving, as well

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
hi gary,

my main concern with releases is whether we still have the masters, when the time comes. i think someone on this site stated that we no longer have the masters to room 222. does anyone know if this is true ?

it is also my understanding that we have lost the originals to many old movies. is this also true ? i seem to recall some group trying to make new copies of a whole slew of films quite a long time ago. to keep them from deteriorating further.

there are so many old movies that i have never seen or heard of, before. just last week i watched a movie that i enjoyed a lot, called "good morning miss dove"

after viewing it, i sorta wondered if rod serling used this movie's theme with the episode of twilight zone that involved almost the same theme

Hoagie78

Agent
Real Name
Chris
That's surprising to hear about the masters to Room 222 being lost. You would think that would be a show to get archived properly. I remember reading the original negatives to B.J. and The Bear were lost in a fire. They have never released that series to home video/DVD. I couldn't tell you the last time the series was seen in syndication. Maybe the 80's ?

I'm a big fan of classic game shows and lot of that stuff got wiped/destroyed. One of my favorites was the 1983-1984 series " Dream House" hosted by Bob Eubanks. GSN or BUZZR wanted to rerun it at some point, but the original masters got destroyed in a flood because a producer had them stored in his garage or basement at his house.

A lot of the stuff from the DuMont network stuff got dumped in the East River.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
i thought i had seen bj and the bear. but then i realized i was thinking of gentle ben. i dont know if everyone has the same picture on ad blocker screen. but there is a picture of a pretty lady on mine. it reminds me of suzanne pleshette ?

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Amazing how much misinformation there is. 35mm negatives held by major studios don't vanish into thin air. Maybe videotape transfers, such as were lost in the Universal fire. The film negatives and 35mm prints were stored elsewhere. 2-inch masters are a different story. Those were burned up in the fire and if there weren't backups, the shows are gone. Many later season Jack Benny Shows were taped. Those burned up but there are kinescopes that survived. Shows produced independently are a different story, as we saw with My Living Doll.

Sky King

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Hi all,

Talking about misinformation…
I love the music rights excuse for not releasing a show to DVD. While some shows have been released to DVD with edited music, CBS/Paramount used that excuse for the longest time with Ben Casey. Guess what ? When the first season of Ben Casey was released on DVD, there was no edited or deleted music because there was no need to do so.
I wonder if this is the REAL reason 77 Sunset Strip and Hawaiian Eye are still unreleased to DVD.

John

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Hi all,

Talking about misinformation…
I love the music rights excuse for not releasing a show to DVD. While some shows have been released to DVD with edited music, CBS/Paramount used that excuse for the longest time with Ben Casey. Guess what ? When the first season of Ben Casey was released on DVD, there was no edited or deleted music because there was no need to do so.
I wonder if this is the REAL reason 77 Sunset Strip and Hawaiian Eye are still unreleased to DVD.

John
All of the Warner detective shows had night club scenes that were used as filler, with Connie Stevens or whomever belting out numbers. Even if it just was a bar with background music, all of that has to be cleared. That's why when they put these shows up on their short-lived streaming service, they could only have selected episodes available. The two Dorothy Provine series also can't be made available because she was belting out numbers in every episode. Its a shame that Warner didn't realize that few would complain if they just eliminated the music performances as they weren't pertinent to the stories anyway. At least some of the shows have aired on Good Life and ME-TV, except for Roaring 20s and The Alaskans.

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
All of the Warner detective shows had night club scenes that were used as filler, with Connie Stevens or whomever belting out numbers. Even if it just was a bar with background music, all of that has to be cleared. That's why when they put these shows up on their short-lived streaming service, they could only have selected episodes available. The two Dorothy Provine series also can't be made available because she was belting out numbers in every episode. Its a shame that Warner didn't realize that few would complain if they just eliminated the music performances as they weren't pertinent to the stories anyway. At least some of the shows have aired on Good Life and ME-TV, except for Roaring 20s and The Alaskans.
The music may not have been pertinent to the storylines, but I think most people would prefer unedited episodes, rather than something with missing scenes. Personally, I think the music parts just added to the enjoyment of the shows.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
The music may not have been pertinent to the storylines, but I think most people would prefer unedited episodes, rather than something with missing scenes. Personally, I think the music parts just added to the enjoyment of the shows.
Of course, but that wasn't going to be one of the options. The 2 options were no DVD release or editing. These chose no release. I have all of the detective series in Frankenstein form, pieced together from 16mm film transfers and various broadcast airings, the best of which were from KTZZ in Seattle, which ran the shows complete and uncut in the late 80s. I have maybe half or so of Roaring 20s and a scant few Alaskans.

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Of course, but that wasn't going to be one of the options. The 2 options were no DVD release or editing. These chose no release. I have all of the detective series in Frankenstein form, pieced together from 16mm film transfers and various broadcast airings, the best of which were from KTZZ in Seattle, which ran the shows complete and uncut in the late 80s. I have maybe half or so of Roaring 20s and a scant few Alaskans.
Yes. A tough call as those were the only 2 options. I have many of those shows too in the same format from 16mm or TV recordings mostly uncut. Better than nothing.

tvnutt

Auditioning
Real Name
Jenna
Just to clarify the above statement, broadcast video isn't "1/2 inch". In the 80s, it would have been 1 inch tape and then afterwards Beta SP (not the same as home beta) and then in the 90s, digibeta was used.
By the way, besides CBN, the show also ran in Dallas in the 80s, more complete than the CBN airings.

tvnutt

Auditioning
Real Name
Jenna
Just to clarify the above statement, broadcast video isn't "1/2 inch". In the 80s, it would have been 1 inch tape and then afterwards Beta SP (not the same as home beta) and then in the 90s, digibeta was used.
By the way, besides CBN, the show also ran in Dallas in the 80s, more complete than the CBN airings.
Hi, I'm not too sure about the tape size used for tv shows. I know in tv news it was 3/4 inch and 1/2 because I worked in a tv station and used both types plus DVC pro.

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
I have a set with 64 of the 101 episodes from Nostalgia Merchant (not sure if they're connected to the Nostalgia Merchant from years ago that released a lot of classic titles, many RKO titles, on VHS). They're not too bad, however the audio is somewhat muffled at times on some of the episodes and they are edited episodes running between 22 and 23 minutes long. The episodes appear to be from chopped up 16mm prints. The NM logo also appears for a few seconds in the middle of each episode. There are some sets out there with 80 episodes, but not sure of the quality of those. Better than nothing, but this is another show that deserves a decent commercial release on DVD or Blu.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks