What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

The Movie Critic

Alex...

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex Czaplicki
Title: The Movie Critic

Director: Quentin Tarantino

Plot: Set in late 1970s Los Angeles with one of the most influential movie critics of all time at its center.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Tarantino has said that his favorite Brian De Palma movie is Blow Out, from 1981. It was also Pauline Kael's favorite De Palma movie, and mine as well. Here is Kael's review from the New Yorker from 1981, which is included in the Criterion release of this movie.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Glad to see his final film is not going to be Kill Bill Volume 3. This may be a blasphemous viewpoint, but those 2 films are my least favorite of Quentin’s.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Tarantino doesn’t count KB2 as one of his 10 films. He considers KB to be one entry in his catalog. Therefore, it’s likely he wouldn’t count KB3 as one of his 10, if he ever makes it.

BTW, I think the “only 10 movies” rule is dumb.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Glad to see his final film is not going to be Kill Bill Volume 3. This may be a blasphemous viewpoint, but those 2 films are my least favorite of Quentin’s.

Not blasphemy if that’s your viewpoint. I respect that. I’m certain many people rank Tarantino films differently to others.

Individually, for me, KB and KB2 are less than the sum. Combined, it’s my 3rd favourite behind Pulp Fiction and Inglorious Basterds. But that’s just my viewpoint. 😉

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Not blasphemy if that’s your viewpoint. I respect that. I’m certain many people rank Tarantino films differently to others.

Individually, for me, KB and KB2 are less than the sum. Combined, it’s my 3rd favourite behind Pulp Fiction and Inglorious Basterds. But that’s just my viewpoint. 😉
So do you list Pulp 1, or Basterds?
My ranking-
1- Pulp
2- Basterds
3- Jackie
4- Dogs
5- Hateful
6- Hollywood
7- Django
8- Death Proof
9- Kill Bills

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
This will be the film where Pauline Kael uses a flamethrower on studio execs that want to make nothing but sequels, prequels, remakes, and franchise films. Tarantino is going to make Kael an action star to rival Ripley from the Alien pictures.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
So do you list Pulp 1, or Basterds?
My ranking-
1- Pulp
2- Basterds
3- Jackie
4- Dogs
5- Hateful
6- Hollywood
7- Django
8- Death Proof
9- Kill Bills

I haven't fully seen Hateful, and it's been more than 20 years since I saw Jackie. But here are my rankings.

1. Pulp
2. Basterds
3. KB/KB2
4. Dogs
5. Django
6. Hollywood
7. Jackie
8. Death Proof

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
This will be the film where Pauline Kael uses a flamethrower on studio execs that want to make nothing but sequels, prequels, remakes, and franchise films. Tarantino is going to make Kael an action star to rival Ripley from the Alien pictures.
If the film is set in the late 70s, that stuff wasn’t going on nearly as much as it is now, so I don’t think this is going to be the gist. If he were to have set the film in today’s times, then I could definitely see him calling out certain execs (fictional names, loosely based on the real guys, so they would know they’re getting made fun of by Quentin).

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
If the film is set in the late 70s, that stuff wasn’t going on nearly as much as it is now, so I don’t think this is going to be the gist. If he were to have set the film in today’s times, then I could definitely see him calling out certain execs (fictional names, loosely based on the real guys, so they would know they’re getting made fun of by Quentin).

This is Tarantino we're talking, right? Should that really matter (to him)? Not like he's known for historical fidelity/accuracy afterall... :lol:

_Man_

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
This is Tarantino we're talking, right? Should that really matter (to him)? Not like he's known for historical fidelity/accuracy afterall... :lol:

_Man_
Yes he fictionalized what happened to Hitler in Basterds. Good point. 😁

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks