What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

The Movie Critic (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson

No one other than Tarantino has a right to determine when he should retire. That's entirely his business. But the reason I don't particularly care for the arbitrary ten number is because sticking to it could potentially preclude some additional great movies from being made.

When The Wind Rises came out, Disney called it "The Farewell Masterpiece" from Hayao Miyazaki on the poster. I used to have a poster that said that. I'm sure that Miyazaki believed he was retiring after making it. But it ended up not being his "farewell masterpiece" after all because he came out of retirement to make The Boy and the Heron. If Miyazaki had not changed his mind, The Wind Rises would have been a wonderful coda to his career. But I am glad that The Boy and the Heron exists. It is a tremendous achievement, and no one else besides Miyazaki could have made that movie.

So if Tarantino makes his equivalent to The Wind Rises now, and then he retires, fine. He doesn't owe us anything more than he wants to give us. But I would hate to think that if he came up with an equivalent to The Boy and the Heron sometime after making his "final" movie that his arbitrary distinction of stopping at ten would prevent him form wanting to pursue that idea.

Last edited:
Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
I’d like to think creative types like QT are always thinking about the next story they could do.

So unless he wants to do other stuff (away from films), or has planned this out (which certainly doesn’t seem to be the case), then even after “#10”, he could have a new story or two brewing.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I did wonder how he would build a revenge theme into a film about a movie critic. I'm sure some movie critics have reviewed films with revenge in mind, but Quentin is the king of wacky, over the top, violent revenge and has pretty much focused on that.

I mean, it would have been funny if he had film critic going on a killing spree wiping out George Lucas and Steven Spielberg because they altered the direction of American film toward a more "blockbuster" centric direction at the end of the 1970s but that would likely hardly register with an audience today.

So, chances are, he is back to the drawing board looking for a way to do some grand revenge finale. In many ways, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood really did sum up and put an exclamation point on Tarantino's career. So, it is hard to top. It really is a perfect final film fro m him but now he is trying to create something...well...wafer thin to end the meal.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Take with a grain of salt but the rumor that I saw today was that this movie was going to have characters and actors from a bunch of the other Tarantino movies in some kind of "meta-verse" crap. Tarantino was doing that kind of thing all the way back with True Romance, Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction (and, except for Red Apple cigarettes, he largely quit it) but in the last ten or fifteen years, there's been so many crossovers & winks & nods & references & connections & hints to other things and movies that it's been done to death. Thank the movie gods that he came to his senses before doing that.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I hope his next film is a dedicated horror (preferably vampire film)) film with an amazing cast, soundtrack.
Epic in scope

Reaching from all the disciplines of horror (HAMMER, Universal etc.) from the 30's to current.

The best "revenge" film he has ever made.

My hope anyway, it's a long shot!!

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I hope his next film is a dedicated horror (preferably vampire film)) film with an amazing cast, soundtrack.
Epic in scope

Reaching from all the disciplines of horror (HAMMER, Universal etc.) from the 30's to current.

The best "revenge" film he has ever made.

My hope anyway, it's a long shot!!

It is interesting to think about what he could do and genres he could get into. He has done crime films, westerns, war, I guess you would call Kill Bill sort of a martial arts film, he's done what is sort of a horror film/car chase deal with his half of Grindhouse, and with his last film, well...that was sort of his love of all things TV and Hollywood with the fantasy revenge thing that runs through all his pictures.

He seems to have really just gone deeper into his own loves and fantasies and has never lost his taste for revenge. So, the question really seems to be, what is most grabbing his interests now. I wonder how the war Israel is in the midst of is impacting him, as that was where he chose to live. I am guessing he has been back in the states for most of it but honestly I don't keep tabs on him.

He's always made his films specifically for himself, as a selfish endeavor but I also wonder if he would make a film for his son, or maybe he just wants his son to enjoy the films he has made when he gets older.

I honestly don't know what direction he would go in, I think the film about a movie critic would have given him another chance to make a film expressing his love for movies and what he sees as the romantic aspects of the business. If he has completely dropped that, maybe a science fiction film, he's not gone there. Basically, the only thing that seems certain is revenge will play a large part in whatever the story is because he always goes right to wacky, over the top, fantasy revenge.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
It is interesting to think about what he could do and genres he could get into. He has done crime films, westerns, war, I guess you would call Kill Bill sort of a martial arts film, he's done what is sort of a horror film/car chase deal with his half of Grindhouse, and with his last film, well...that was sort of his love of all things TV and Hollywood with the fantasy revenge thing that runs through all his pictures.

He seems to have really just gone deeper into his own loves and fantasies and has never lost his taste for revenge. So, the question really seems to be, what is most grabbing his interests now. I wonder how the war Israel is in the midst of is impacting him, as that was where he chose to live. I am guessing he has been back in the states for most of it but honestly I don't keep tabs on him.

He's always made his films specifically for himself, as a selfish endeavor but I also wonder if he would make a film for his son, or maybe he just wants his son to enjoy the films he has made when he gets older.

I honestly don't know what direction he would go in, I think the film about a movie critic would have given him another chance to make a film expressing his love for movies and what he sees as the romantic aspects of the business. If he has completely dropped that, maybe a science fiction film, he's not gone there. Basically, the only thing that seems certain is revenge will play a large part in whatever the story is because he always goes right to wacky, over the top, fantasy revenge.
His lack of horror so far (OK -Death Proof, but really horror?) has stumped me. It just seems a complete no brainer especially with the "revenge" angle he seems so fond of.

With his gift of dialogue, and attention to detail along with his love for the medium--I truly fell he can make one of the best horror films ever made if he works hard on it.

Like I said, crossing my fingers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Koala
Recent bookmarks