What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Pre-Order The Odd Couple: The Complete Series (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
61ym-Ldb4aL.jpg

This is a placeholder at the moment. I suspect this will go live in the next few days

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Has this series been released on DVD, and if so, was it edited/altered for video?

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
I wonder if, on this, the episodes will have the original correct Paramount Television logos at the end?

Most of the time, you'll see this variation.

Strangely, on some of the Columbia House VHS tapes, it was even on season 3 (1972-73) of the series, which on other shows used this newer, slower variation instead.

~Ben

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
If this has restored the cuts done to the DVD releases I'm fully on board. If it's the same edited transfers as the DVDs, just looking better, then it has to be bargain basement priced before I'll spring for a copy.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If this has restored the cuts done to the DVD releases I'm fully on board. If it's the same edited transfers as the DVDs, just looking better, then it has to be bargain basement priced before I'll spring for a copy.
Unless a willing guinea pig tells us otherwise, you might as well wait for the bargains, because Cheers was released even further edited than the DVDs. Paramount somehow found a way to edit more music out and not use the streaming versions which had music restored.

So Odd Couple will probably be the same old CBS era hackjobs, unfortunately.

Glad to see it coming. It's just not a priority to upgrade because it's probably still going to be edited.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Unless a willing guinea pig tells us otherwise, you might as well wait for the bargains, because Cheers was released even further edited than the DVDs. Paramount somehow found a way to edit more music out and not use the streaming versions which had music restored.

So Odd Couple will probably be the same old CBS era hackjobs, unfortunately.

Glad to see it coming. It's just not a priority to upgrade because it's probably still going to be edited.
Yes there were music replacements, and at least one edited scene due to music in the Cheers BluRay set. 👎

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Odd Couple had virtually intact music on Season 1 and Season 2. Then the butchery began which resulted in the loss of so much great comedy, like the importance of "Cocktails For Two" in the Pernell Roberts "Strike Up The Band Or Else" episode.

One butchered episode, "I Gotta Be Me" which also features gags centered on "Cocktails For Two" can be found restored in the Imprint Blu-Ray release of the "Odd Couple" movies which included ten episodes of the series as a bonus, but that was the only butchered episode in the lot presented restored (the rest being ones that had no edits on DVD).

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I wonder if, on this, the episodes will have the original correct Paramount Television logos at the end?

Most of the time, you'll see this variation.

Strangely, on some of the Columbia House VHS tapes, it was even on season 3 (1972-73) of the series, which on other shows used this newer, slower variation instead.

~Ben

On the recent Paramount releases that I have personally, they only leave period logos intact are when they either license them out to other labels (VEI for example) or if the show was made pre-1968 before the Desilu buyout. Thank God for VEI and their release of The Immortal for giving me the "Closet Killer" Paramount logo.

So nah, don't look for period logos, as much as I wish they were there.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
On the subject of closing logos, if my memory is correct, the complete series DVD of Petrocelli from VEI has the Paramount logos after the closing credits of the episodes.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
On the subject of closing logos, if my memory is correct, the complete series DVD of Petrocelli from VEI has the Paramount logos after the closing credits of the episodes.
Yes, both seasons. Season 2 (1975-76) has the "Blue Mountain" intact, which makes Petrocelli the only series besides Happy Days (1974-84) to have survived this transition.

~Ben

Last edited:

Robert Saccone

Premium
Wow! What an unexpected surprise! I never thought this would be on anything but DVD at this point. Who is putting this set out?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I reviewed several of the individual season DVD releases back in the day. Those reviews may still be around. And, yes, quite a bit of music cutting in those last three seasons often at the expense of great jokes and funny business.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Restored episode content is a far greater priority for me than Paramount logos. I want to see in Blu-Ray the dubious reaction on Felix's face when Pernell Roberts suddenly starts singing "Cocktails For Two!"

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Sadly unless they've made a drastic turnaround with their approach, we already know what this set is. Their existing HD transfers with their existing cuts. Possibly even more cut this time around, if they cleared any music originally for DVD (were some of the early seasons more intact than the later seasons like Cheers was?).

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Season 1 was clear (but unfortunately its the one with the least amount of potential issues). Season 2 is almost complete except for some background music in the flashback episode where Felix proposes to Gloria. Season 3 is when the wheels come off.

The one restored episode in the Imprint release of the movies is cause for hope that intact masters for Blu-Ray are available (or maybe the solution is for Imprint to release the whole series!)

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
If they are not going to restore the episodes, why bother. After the Cheers release, I'm not holding up much hope.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
First, because they already have HD masters, so it isn't a heavy lift for them. Second, some may want to have the uptick in video quality, even if no other changes are made. Third, there isn't a current option to stream all the episodes in HD. Lastly, some don't stream and want a physical release for titles of interest.

Michael1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael Portantiere
Odd Couple had virtually intact music on Season 1 and Season 2. Then the butchery began which resulted in the loss of so much great comedy, like the importance of "Cocktails For Two" in the Pernell Roberts "Strike Up The Band Or Else" episode.

One butchered episode, "I Gotta Be Me" which also features gags centered on "Cocktails For Two" can be found restored in the Imprint Blu-Ray release of the "Odd Couple" movies which included ten episodes of the series as a bonus, but that was the only butchered episode in the lot presented restored (the rest being ones that had no edits on DVD).
Hey, what would be the reason for select edits like this? Is it because they sprung for the money to pay music rights for certain selections but not others? Or is it possible that the music retained was in the public domain, for example, opera music?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks