What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

The Passion of the Christ: Resurrection (1 Viewer)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
@Peter Keller

It is within your right to disagree, but where have you ever seen or read of anyone clamoring for a sequel to this film?

Making a sequel to this film just reinforces that Hollywood has run out of ideas.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
@Peter Keller

It is within your right to disagree, but where have you ever seen or read of anyone clamoring for a sequel to this film?

Making a sequel to this film just reinforces that Hollywood has run out of ideas.
No, I'd say a compelling cinematic take on the Resurrection of Christ from the perspective of those who are devout is something I would quite welcome as proof that Hollywood is still capable of an idea.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
@Peter Keller

I think Mr G always saw it as a two film story ---

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
How do you make something like that interesting, especially following a film that was a brutal, blood-soaked depiction of torture?
No offense but I don’t think any answer would satisfy you Edwin if that’s what you thought of TPOC.

Clearly this will not be a film for you.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I think Mr G always saw it as a two film story ---
If that was actually the case then why wait 18+ years to announce a sequel, especially since the first one was successful?

No, I don't think he ever saw this as a two film series. It is just cheap Hollywood opportunism. Interesting that an announcement of a sequel to the film occurs shortly after the success of Cameron's Avatar 2.

I moved this here. Somehow I posted it wrongly into the Hacksaw Ridge thread.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
If this gets made I will probably see it. I missed the first one, but maybe at some point I'll see it.

I did like Hacksaw Ridge a lot, and I have a 4K blu-ray of that movie.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
If that was actually the case then why wait 18+ years to announce a sequel, especially since the first one was successful?

No, I don't think he ever saw this as a two film series. It is just cheap Hollywood opportunism. Interesting that an announcement of a sequel to the film occurs shortly after the success of Cameron's Avatar 2.

I moved this here. Somehow I posted it wrongly into the Hacksaw Ridge thread.
In June 2016, writer Randall Wallace stated that he and Gibson had begun work on a sequel to The Passion of the Christ focusing on the resurrection of Jesus.[116] Wallace previously worked with Gibson as the screenwriter for Braveheart and director of We Were Soldiers.[117] In September of that year, Gibson expressed his interest in directing it. He estimated that release of the film was still "probably three years off",[118] stating that "it is a big project".[119] He implied that part of the movie would be taking place in Hell and, while talking to Raymond Arroyo, said that it also may show flashbacks depicting the fall of the Angels.[120][121]

In January 2018, Caviezel was in negotiations with Mel Gibson to reprise his role as Jesus in the sequel.[122] In March 2020, Caviezel stated in an interview that the film was in its fifth draft.[123] However, in September 2020, Caviezel then said that Gibson had sent him the third draft of the screenplay.[124][125] From Wikipedia

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
NY Post mentions sequel back in 2020 so Gibson has been on it BUT I hope he does Lethal Weapon 5 first

Since it is related to this film I will respond here. Thanks. I did not know that. I still think it odd that a film maker planning on a two film story would take 16 years to start talking about a sequel, especially for.one as successful as.the first one was. It still just feels like opportunism to me.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
In June 2016, writer Randall Wallace stated that he and Gibson had begun work on a sequel to The Passion of the Christ focusing on the resurrection of Jesus.[116] Wallace previously worked with Gibson as the screenwriter for Braveheart and director of We Were Soldiers.[117] In September of that year, Gibson expressed his interest in directing it. He estimated that release of the film was still "probably three years off",[118] stating that "it is a big project".[119] He implied that part of the movie would be taking place in Hell and, while talking to Raymond Arroyo, said that it also may show flashbacks depicting the fall of the Angels.[120][121]

In January 2018, Caviezel was in negotiations with Mel Gibson to reprise his role as Jesus in the sequel.[122] In March 2020, Caviezel stated in an interview that the film was in its fifth draft.[123] However, in September 2020, Caviezel then said that Gibson had sent him the third draft of the screenplay.[124][125] From Wikipedia
So from that, I gather he is going to be incorporating fantastical elements into a story line that was brutally grounded in reality. Seriously? If he has to do that, it just shows there was nothing compelling to tell in the first place.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
Just to add a bit of historical context to this discussion and without commenting on religion in any way, it is important to note that Mel's sources for creating the original film were not strictly confined to the four accepted gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John but also include the non-Biblical source, The Dolorous Passion of Our Lord Jesus Christ which is based on the visions of the late 18th/early19th century Christian mystic, Anne Catherine Emmerich, that were written down by the poet Clemens Brentano. For the record, there have been allegations that Brentano embellished or fabricated parts of his written account.

Depending upon your comfort level with mysticism, such a source may or may not be deemed a reliable one.

If anyone is interested and without any claim about the accuracy of the translation, here is a link to an English translation of the source: The Dolorus Passion of Our Lord Jesus Christ

MODS: My intention for this post is to add context to the discussion, but if it is deemed to be in violation of the forum rules, please delete it accordingly.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
"4. No politics or religion. We do not permit the discussion of politics or religion at HTF. However, there is a narrow exception to this rule. If the subject matter of a movie or television show includes politics and/or religion, then they may be discussed insofar as they pertain to that specific movie or television show. We stress, however, that such discussions are carefully monitored and will be moderated if it appears that any participant is using this narrow exception to introduce a broader political or religious discussion than is warranted by the movie or television show under discussion. Also, anyone who has not seen a particular movie or television show is disqualified from discussing its political and/or religious content under this rule. Note: Posts by HTF staff including reviewers may on occasion be given wider discretion by site management."

The HTF Moderator Staff has reopened this thread, after further review and discussion of it. However, people need to read the above posting guideline regarding the discussion of religion on this forum before participating again in this thread. Some posts have been deleted and two members have already been permanently banned from further participation in this thread. Anybody else that disregards this warning going forward will face the same penalty as well as possibly being suspended from the forum. Please, refrain from any further public comment regarding moderator action as it's not up for debate and any such posts will immediately be deleted.

Alex...

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex Czaplicki
Update.

In a recent interview, Gibson confirmed that the film is “coming soon” and that the script is more philosophical and poetic than a linear and straightforward story. In fact, he’s describing it as an “acid trip” due to Jesus going “into other realms.”

Alex...

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex Czaplicki

YANG

Screenwriter
it's going to be a rough project to get production funds, as Mel's voicing out to endorse for Sound of Freedom, would potentially pissed lots of Hollywood Investors.

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
it's going to be a rough project to get production funds, as Mel's voicing out to endorse for Sound of Freedom, would potentially pissed lots of Hollywood Investors.
I doubt it since he financed the first film himself and will likely do the same here. POTC is the most successful independent film ever released.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I doubt it since he financed the first film himself and will likely do the same here. POTC is the most successful independent film ever released.
Mel is waiting on Zazlav to greenlight LW 5 but he had said since 2000's he was going to do a sequel to POTC

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks