What's new

Tombstone appreciation thread! (1 Viewer)

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
I believe this movie has taken on cult appeal, on an international scale. I was turned onto this film by a native Japanese friend, who spoke very little English. Despite the period western, American manifest destiny vernacular, she was wowed by this film. So was I...over and over again to the tune of 15+ times.

Turkey Creek: "Friend? Hell, I gots lots of friends."
Doc: "I don't."
Jeremy...nicely chosen quote - highlights the intense code of camaraderie so central to this film. Very poignant, very sad.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
I would love to see the Director's Cut that is available on LD. It is a great western, although I do hold a little grudge against it because it made people forget about another great western called Wyatt Earp. For such a great movie though, I was dissapointed with the Vista Series release.
Thanks

FrankT

Stunt Coordinator
I think Val should have won the Oscar that year. Shame he didn't. Who did, anybody know?

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Best Actor: Tom Hanks
Best Supporting Actor: Tommy Lee Jones

Or if I'm off by a year

Best Actor: Al Pacino
Best Supporting Actor: Gene Hackman

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
As for the EE on the Vista DVD, you don't need a PC or HD setup to see it, it's clear as day on my 27" TV. It's the first DVD I was able to spot EE unassisted. It's a distraction but not a detraction from this great film.

Greg_C_T

Second Unit
Count me in as a lover of this great Western! But, I was sorely disappointed with the Vista Series release. For a 2-disc set, the extra features were pretty sparse.

Of course, the movie itself is the best thing anyway, so who can complain but so much?

"Why Ed, what an ugly thing to say.
Does this mean we're not friends anymore?
You know, Ed--if I thought you weren't my
friend, I just don't think I could bear it."

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Let me add to some of those quotes."Poor ugliness" "It seems Mr. Ringo is an educated man, oh how I really hate hime."

Shane_M

Stunt Coordinator
I love this movie. Here is one of my favorite quotes

Doc Holliday: It's true, you are a good woman. Then again, you may be the antichrist.

John Gates

Second Unit
LOVE this movie!!

Val Kilmer and Kurt Russell were amazing. It amazes me that they chose Val for the role of Doc, but he did an unbelievable job. After watching the film many times, I'm still in awe of his performance.

Unlike others tho, there are other westerns I also like (though not as much as Tombstone):

Silverado (this is just a fun movie, very lite, interesting cast of wannabes)

Unforgiven (Incredible film. This is very heavy, so not as rewatchable as Tombstone, but Eastwood is the quintessential tough, crusty cowboy)

Treasure of Sierra Madre (Bogey... but you gotta watch this just for this original quote: "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges!") LOL!

John G

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Okay, I know we can go on and on here about all the great quotes from this film but I also love this scene. {Doc} "Why Johnny Ringo, it looks like someone just walked over your grave." {Johnny} "Fights not with you Holliday." {Doc} "I beg to differ, we started a game we never finished, play for blood." {Johnny} "I was just foolin" {Doc} "I wasn't.":)

All I can say about this film is when you take a great cast like that and add in Dana Delaney, you have a hit that I will continue to watch for years to come.
The only other western I can think of that I enjoy watching on a pretty regular basis is "The Unforgiven"... that movie is pretty good too. "Deserves got nuthin' to do with it." Love that line.
j.:)

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Ohhhhh, Dana Delaney, yes, she is definately easy on the eyes.:b Here is another quote I like from Morgan "I'm sufferin, from a hangover"

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
I was looking at the director's other works at imdb, and Tombstone is his only stand out movie. Cosmatos' 1997 film Shadow Conspiracy musta knocked him out. Where's this guy been?

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
"I apologize, Wyatt. You are an oak."

"I'll be damned."
"You may indeed. If you get lucky."

"Already got a guilty conscience. Might as well have the money, too."

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Count me in. This one provided so much quote fodder that it's pretty well tied with Pulp Fiction. Very watchable, exciting, well cast, well acted, seriously fun movie that still impresses me with its style.

"It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds."

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
I just watched Tombstone for the 30th+ time and think it is the BEST movie ever made. Everything is so perfect in this film. Every single person in this movie puts in the performance of their career. I have not watched a western movie or any other that has come even close to the caliber of this movie provides. Thank you George Cosmatos for the best movie ever made!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunday Billy
Recent bookmarks