What's new

TV Shows in 'scope (1 Viewer)

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Since this is now becoming surprisingly popular thanks to Netflix, I've decided to compile a list of TV series shot with Anamorphic lenses as opposed to standard spherical ones. Not all these series were presented in their full ratios at broadcast and will be marked as such. Far from complete and if you want to add any, feel free to reply.

True Detective (season 2, cropped to 1.78)
Maniac
Westworld (season 2, partial)
Chilling Adventures of Sabrina (Cropped to 2.20)
Doctor Who (Season 11, streamed at 2.00:1, aired in the US in 1.78, promos and trailers in full 2.35:1)
Deadly Class
Star Trek Discovery (Season 2)
Forever

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
In this digital era, no one is using anamorphic lenses. They are shooting with high resolution cameras (4 to 6K) and then carving out the aspect ratio they desire.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
In this digital era, no one is using anamorphic lenses. They are shooting with high resolution cameras (4 to 6K) and then carving out the aspect ratio they desire.

So based on that, it's basically fair to say that pretty much all "widescreen" today wider than 16x9 is basically some variation on Super 35. That figures when so many multiplexes make the screens smaller to show 2.35:1 movies.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I don’t think that’s fair to say at all. There are plenty of cinematographers and filmmakers that still use scope lenses because they like the characteristics of those lenses. There have even been TV shows shot anamorphically that were then cropped to 16x9 (by design) just so the image would have the look they were going for.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I don’t think that’s fair to say at all. There are plenty of cinematographers and filmmakers that still use scope lenses because they like the characteristics of those lenses. There have even been TV shows shot anamorphically that were then cropped to 16x9 (by design) just so the image would have the look they were going for.

Obviously that's true because Quentin Tarantino used them for his latest film, and Judy had numerous focus rack shots with changing shapes between background and foreground, a telltale sign of anamorphic lenses.

But those are theatrical releases, small as the window between theatrical and home media is these days. What about TV shows?

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
For those who are still shooting on film, yes. But most of the these TV programs are shot with digital cameras. I have a hard time believing that anamorphic lenses are being used with digital cameras.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
I have a hard time believing that anamorphic lenses are being used with digital cameras.

75-80% of what's being shot in recent years with anamorphic lenses are using Arri Alexas actually. The "tell" is light spots. If they're ovular, its scope.

Case in point...
RQMOyiQ.png

Shot with Alexa LFs. Panavision Lenses.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
For those who are still shooting on film, yes. But most of the these TV programs are shot with digital cameras. I have a hard time believing that anamorphic lenses are being used with digital cameras.

They are!

Arri even designed a camera with a 4x3 sensor so that it could be used with an anamorphic lens exactly as film cameras worked.

Some TV shows shoot anamorphic and then crop to 16x9 in post just to get the look of those lenses.

Some films are even being shot with Ultra Panavision 2.76:1 anamorphic lenses on digital cameras and then are cropped to 2.40:1 in post. Rogue One is a recent example.

Those lenses are still very much in demand.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Some TV shows shoot anamorphic and then crop to 16x9 in post just to get the look of those lenses.

Or in some cases a ratio in between like The Witcher here...

eyUp3UY.png

(presented in the 2:1 Univisium ratio Netflix loves because cell phones)

Basically Anamorphic's digital explosion started when Soderbergh figured out how to attach a Panavision lens to a Red Epic when making The Girlfriend Experience 10 years ago.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
My cell phone isn’t 2:1. I thought they liked it because it split the difference between 16x9 and scope and let them have a little black bar “looks cinematic” action without it being overwhelmingly letterboxed. Either way... I used to question why choose different sizes other than the ones TV come in, but as TV producers have stepped up their game, you can tell in a lot of cases that they are taking advantage of the wider frame and creating visually compelling looks, so I get it now.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Well mine is a FUHD Galaxy S8 with a screen ratio of about 2.08:1 so "Netflix Univisium" fills it pretty well.

Either way they've also been playing around with 70mm ratios on Sabrina (cropped 2.35:1), several episodes of Black Mirror (cropped 1.78) and Dark Crystal (also cropped 2.35)

Last edited:

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
75-80% of what's being shot in recent years with anamorphic lenses are using Arri Alexas actually. The "tell" is light spots. If they're ovular, its scope.

Case in point...
RQMOyiQ.png

Shot with Alexa LFs. Panavision Lenses.

They are!

Arri even designed a camera with a 4x3 sensor so that it could be used with an anamorphic lens exactly as film cameras worked.

Some films are even being shot with Ultra Panavision 2.76:1 anamorphic lenses on digital cameras and then are cropped to 2.40:1 in post. Rogue One is a recent example.

Those lenses are still very much in demand.

Thanks for the information, guys. I really need to stop posting, because my track record for factual information is in serious jeopardy. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks