What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Vudu Vudu may be removing some 4K and HDX content (1 Viewer)

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
You may want to check your Vudu library. Users have been reporting some titles no longer available in 4K or HDX, leaving them with the next available lower resolution.

So far, I have found only one title in my library that has been affected - Suicide Squad (Extended Cut). Previously UHD (and even shows that I own UHD), but only the HDX and SD streams are available.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
This. 👆🏻 This is reason enough for me to keep buying only physical media. I’ll redeem digital codes that are included with discs I purchase so I’ll have a (hopefully) nice selection of movies to watch while I’m traveling for business, but I don’t trust the streaming services to not pull shenanigans like this.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This. 👆🏻 This is reason enough for me to keep buying only physical media. I’ll redeem digital codes that are included with discs I purchase so I’ll have a (hopefully) nice selection of movies to watch while I’m traveling for business, but I don’t trust the streaming services to not pull shenanigans like this.
Thank you for that obligatory warning about digital purchases. :D

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Let’s not jump to conclusions here quite yet. I do have an e-mail out to my contact in upper management at Vudu, and hopefully will have an answer of some sort real soon. I just wanted to alert everyone to what I found and encourage others to do so and report it yo Vudu Customer Care.

Hopefully one of my two contacts will respond next week with an answer.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
You may want to check your Vudu library. Users have been reporting some titles no longer available in 4K or HDX, leaving them with the next available lower resolution.

So far, I have found only one title in my library that has been affected - Suicide Squad (Extended Cut). Previously UHD (and even shows that I own UHD), but only the HDX and SD streams are available.
Looks like I don't have the extended cut of Suicide Squad -- I have the theatrical cut and also the 2021 version. Both are still in 4K.

Honestly, I rarely watch anything on Vudu, as I stopped buying or claiming anything through them years ago. I cannot give my money to a company with such horrible customer service.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Yeah, I generally avoid buying from Vudu as well though I have still been seeking out the very sporadic TV series purchase thru them (instead of iTunes)... and I suppose if I ever notice a Movies Anywhere eligible 4K title on $5 sale I guess, but I just don't check nor pay attention enough (to Vudu) for those...

_Man_

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
That's only minutes in Vudu customer service time (sort of like dog years). Their customer service group is useless.
I think that Vudu Customer Care’s hands are tied in this type of situation, when all they can do is log an escalated ticket with the content team, where the ticket ultimately dies due to inactivity. I really wish the VP of Content would strike up a conversation with me again - the lack of follow thru by the content team and their inability to respond to tickets is getting old.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I think that Vudu Customer Care’s hands are tied in this type of situation, when all they can do is log an escalated ticket with the content team, where the ticket ultimately dies due to inactivity. I really wish the VP of Content would strike up a conversation with me again - the lack of follow thru by the content team and their inability to respond to tickets is getting old.
Personally, I think the entire company is inept.

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
This was first reported to Vudu Customer Care two months ago and has yet to be addressed, although a few titles have been restored.
So here are the titles from that list. Mostly Sharknado movies and straight to video titles. :laugh:

Sharknado (Downgraded from UHD to HDX) 463682
Sharknado 2: The Second One: Extended Version (Downgraded from UHD to HDX) 561051
Sharknado 3: Oh Hell No! (Downgraded from UHD to HDX) 696799
Sharknado: The 4th Awakens (Downgraded from UHD to HDX) 800860
Sharknado 5: Global Swarming (Downgraded from UHD to HDX) 886745
The Last Sharknado: It's About Time (Downgraded from UHD to HDX) 991956

Bundle for Sharknado was removed in UHD if you owned the bundle, which in turn removed all the individual movies in UHD. The bundle needs to be added back to those who purchased prior and should fix the above issues: 1021083

Other Downgrade issues:
Hannie Caulder (Downgraded from HDX to SD reported prior, Vudu was working on) 81932
LEGO DC Super Heroes: The Flash (Downgraded from UHD to HDX) 921324
The Land Before Time 11: Invasion of the Tinysauruses (Downgraded from HDX to SD) 5598 (older issue)
Disconnected (Downgraded from UHD to HDX) 882042
Alex & Me (Downgraded from UHD to HDX) 952222
Going in Style (Downgraded from UHD to HDX) 845899
Deep Blue Sea 2 (Downgraded from UHD to HDX) 937361
American Hero (Downgraded from UHD to HDX) 711493
Halo: Nightfall (Downgraded from UHD to HDX) 643036
Crafted (Downgraded from UHD to HDX) 1791081
Suicide Squad (Extended Cut) (Downgraded from UHD to HDX) 817178
Paradise Road (Director's Cut) (Downgraded from HDX to SD) 180025

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
So here are the titles from that list. Mostly Sharknado movies and straight to video titles. :laugh:

Sharknado (Downgraded from UHD to HDX) 463682
Sharknado 2: The Second One: Extended Version (Downgraded from UHD to HDX) 561051
Sharknado 3: Oh Hell No! (Downgraded from UHD to HDX) 696799
Sharknado: The 4th Awakens (Downgraded from UHD to HDX) 800860
Sharknado 5: Global Swarming (Downgraded from UHD to HDX) 886745
The Last Sharknado: It's About Time (Downgraded from UHD to HDX) 991956

Bundle for Sharknado was removed in UHD if you owned the bundle, which in turn removed all the individual movies in UHD. The bundle needs to be added back to those who purchased prior and should fix the above issues: 1021083

Other Downgrade issues:
Hannie Caulder (Downgraded from HDX to SD reported prior, Vudu was working on) 81932
LEGO DC Super Heroes: The Flash (Downgraded from UHD to HDX) 921324
The Land Before Time 11: Invasion of the Tinysauruses (Downgraded from HDX to SD) 5598 (older issue)
Disconnected (Downgraded from UHD to HDX) 882042
Alex & Me (Downgraded from UHD to HDX) 952222
Going in Style (Downgraded from UHD to HDX) 845899
Deep Blue Sea 2 (Downgraded from UHD to HDX) 937361
American Hero (Downgraded from UHD to HDX) 711493
Halo: Nightfall (Downgraded from UHD to HDX) 643036
Crafted (Downgraded from UHD to HDX) 1791081
Suicide Squad (Extended Cut) (Downgraded from UHD to HDX) 817178
Paradise Road (Director's Cut) (Downgraded from HDX to SD) 180025

I added the link to that information that was cut and paste from another source.

Next time, can you please add a link to the original source. Thank you.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Oh, pooh! I think the likelihood of physical discs going bad or players becoming obsolete more of a risk than losing one’s digital purchases.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Oh, pooh! I think the likelihood of physical discs going bad or players becoming obsolete more of a risk than losing one’s digital purchases.

That's very likely true for a likely (very) small subset of one's library, but not so sure for vast majority or entire collection though. At this rate, Vudu might indeed be more likely to go out of business and render my library w/ them dead or very substantially impacted or something (maybe w/ some kind of partial refund) than I am to lose my entire disc collection (or somehow have playback very substantially hampered) to whatever causes me thinks.

Of course, the good thing is most of us already long recognize Vudu may not be such a good choice for purchases/redemptions anymore and probably also have the vast majority of our purchases/redemptions on iTunes, which seems far more reliable for the long haul, if not also MoviesAnywhere, et al. And what little we have exclusively w/ Vudu can likely be replicated on iTunes at very modest costs, if need be.

Yeah, it's certainly also possible that Apple could someday ditch iTunes or its video bizz or experience some other catastrophic event to lose our libraries (or itself collapse or something), however remote those might be, but those certainly don't seem anymore likely, if in same ballpark at all, than a fire or flood or something wiping out our disc collections or we no longer have access to players, etc...

OTOH, Vudu does also seem like they might generally be more aggravating for at least some than their disc collections though... :P

Me? I've been generally fine enough w/ both my disc collection and digital libraries across iTunes, Vudu, MoviesAnywhere, et al w/ very little to complain about both... (At least some) Subscription streaming services, as many of us might well agree, would be entirely another story though, haha...

Still, even if the sky would indeed fall, well, our video libraries aren't some ultimate things we can't possibly live without afterall -- well, not for me anyway even though my collection is pretty large and I'm fairly heavily invested, hehheh... I own them, not the other way around... or so I tell myself anyway... ;):P

_Man_

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassidylhorne
Recent bookmarks