What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Warner Archive Announcements Thread (3 Viewers)

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
Just the three this time?
While there were a few titles announced after you posted this, I would like to point out that we got two multi-disc TV series (in addition to a few movies). These titles were announced with June release dates (when we were originally told that there would be more titles in May). The replication plant seems to be having trouble keeping up (since all of WAC's April titles were delayed into May, and several other labels have had titles delayed as well). As such, EVERY disc being replicated makes the situation worse. As it is, I suspect that we'll be lucky to get all these titles in June (and who knows how soon we'll get announcements for July releases beyond that).

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
1713981753060.png

Coming to Blu-ray on June 14th from the Warner Archive Collection!
New 2024 1080p HD master from 4K scan of best nitrate preservation elements.

MR. & MRS. SMITH (1941)
BD-50
87 Minutes
B&W
16x9 1.37:1 with side mattes
DTS-HD MA 2.0
English SDH
Directed by Alfred Hitchcock
SPECIAL FEATURES: Featurette: “Mr. Hitchcock Meets the Smiths”, Classic cartoons: THE CAT’S TALE and SPORTS CHUMPIONS ; Two Audio only radio broadcasts: Lux Radio Theater broadcast with Carole Lombard and Bob Hope, and Screen Guild Players broadcast with Errol Flynn and Lana Turner. Original Theatrical Trailer

“If you had it to do all over again, would you have married me?” Yes, gentlemen, there is a right answer. That’s something David Smith learns the hard way when his bubbly and beautiful wife Ann queries him over breakfast.
Also right are radiant Carole Lombard and easygoing Robert Montgomery as the stars of this breezy Alfred Hitchcock comedy. For three years, the Smiths have been blissed but battling. When a technicality voids their union, Mr. misses Mrs., orbiting the tale into the delightful confection of the screwball genre. From a script by Academy Award® winner Norman Krasna, Hitchcock made his change-of-pace foray into the all-out humor memorable. “Here again are his unmistakable touches” Look Magazine declared. “The net effect is the same, too: another Alfred Hitchcock hit.”

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Well that series completely passed me by. I don't remember it being on British TV at the time (if it ever was).
The Alaskans rang a vague bell with me, but I can’t remember ever seeing it (if I did I’ve forgotten). It seems like a very strange choice to me. I hope Warner haven’t pressed a lot of copies, they may end up sitting on quite a few.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
I know there are a lot of classic movie fans here in terms of movies from the 30s and 40s, so this is a great month for them. I'm REALLY hoping they will make it an 80s/90s slate some month where every movie is from that time period. It seems like ages since we've had announcements (plural) from that era. The titles that were announced (aside from "Stand and Deliver") were not hugely popular titles either when there's still so much waiting to be released. Just my opinion here and hoping there are others out there who join me in my enthusiasm for more of these types of movies. I'd even like to see more from the 70s.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
It seems like a very strange choice to me.
Aren't there more famous series than this for WAC to release?
Anyway, nothing for me this month I guess, except maybe Hitchcock?
I love his films but don't remember this one (although I have seen it), I think it may be among my least favorite from him.

onga999

Agent
Real Name
Oak
It's nice to see some of these releases continue the trend of including animated shorts as a special feature. Some of these shorts haven't been on physical media, so hopefully this bodes well for a Looney Tunes Collectors Choice vol. 4

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
Another title that I posted about having a 4K scan in another thread.

After the other few titles you brought up got announced, I was wondering when this one would be coming, and the answer appears to be very soon. Anyway, more Hitchcock is always a good thing in my book (I believe this is the last of the Warner-owned Hitchcocks to make it to Blu-ray) and this one is a very interesting change of pace for the Master of Suspense.

Broomy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matthew
Excellent news all round. I’ll definitely be picking up all four classic movies.
My only slight disappointment is no Looney Tunes volume 4 which I was hoping for June so we’d be getting one every quarter but there’s not released shorts as special features on the films so I shouldn’t really complain.
Keep up the excellent work George and the team!

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
Excellent news all round. I’ll definitely be picking up all four classic movies.
My only slight disappointment is no Looney Tunes volume 4 which I was hoping for June so we’d be getting one every quarter but there’s not released shorts as special features on the films so I shouldn’t really complain.
Keep up the excellent work George and the team!
With regard to further Looney Tunes sets, there are two points worth considering:

1) the short time between the second and third sets was because they had already started working on the third volume before the second was even released. Going into the third volume, the word was that the fourth volume hadn't been greenlit yet (or was just greenlit). Ergo, we're looking at a likely minimum of SIX months before we get a fourth volume (as in, I'd be surprised if we got anything before September).

2) Even if you could ignore that, the other problem is that this group of announcements are for titles that were originally being planned for May, but due to production issues were announced for June instead. As such, July would have been the soonest we could expect another volume (but again, we still have that first point to contend with).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Regarding 4K scans that Warner has completed, just about all of these movies have been released on physical media. The information was copied and pasted directly from The Film Foundation's website:

WARNER BROS.
  • ACT OF VIOLENCE
  • BODY SNATCHER, THE
  • DEVIL'S DOORWAY, THE
  • EAST OF EDEN
  • FRIENDLY PERSUASION
  • GIANT
  • HELEN OF TROY
  • LAND OF THE PHARAOHS
  • LION IS IN THE STREETS, A
  • MAN I LOVE, THE
  • MR. & MRS. SMITH
  • NORTH BY NORTHWEST
  • NUN'S STORY, THE
  • ONE WAY PASSAGE
  • RACHEL, RACHEL
  • RIO BRAVO
  • SAFE IN HELL
  • SEARCHERS, THE
  • SHINING HOUR, THE
  • STORM WARNING
  • STRAWBERRY BLONDE, THE

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If Warner is reading this thread, you need to correct the release date on your social media postings. June 14th is a Friday, the correct release date is usually on a Tuesday which is June 11th.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Have to thank WAC for saving me some coin. Thin month for me. Act of Violence and The Man I Love will likely be the only purchases.

The Shining Hour is a tedious melodrama that gets mired down after its opening act. There are better Crawford movies out there yet to see the light of day on Blu. Like Humoresque for one. A Woman's Face, and When Ladies Meet, if you're interested in two others.

As for Mr. And Mrs. Smith - with this one Hitchcock proved unequivocally that suspense - not comedy - was his forte. For completionists only.

WAC seems to be getting more aggressive with pushing TV series as part of their line up. But where oh where is the complete Dallas? It's been remastered. The Alaskans is a good pic. But The Flash was pretty atrocious. There's a reason it only ran from Sept. 1980 to May 1981.

WAC has a goldmine of vintage TV it could offer up. The Dukes of Hazzard, Falcon Crest, Knots Landing, Growing Pains, Head of the Class, Perfect Strangers, to say nothing of the mini-series: North and South, and, The Thorn Birds.

But The Flash?!? Scraping the bottom of the barrel on that one!

As I've repeatedly said, I'm not opposed to the B-grade stuff getting its day in the sun. Only when it comes at the expense of obviously more popular stuff still sitting on the rack with narrowly a hint it will ever see the light of day.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If Warner is reading this thread, you need to correct the release date on your social media postings. June 14th is a Friday, the correct release date is usually on a Tuesday which is June 11th.
It looks like Warner read my post because they're correcting the release date to June 18th.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Coming to Blu-ray on June 14th from the Warner Archive Collection!
New 2024 1080p HD master from 4K scan of original nitrate camera negative.
THE MAN I LOVE (1947)
BD-50
96 Minutes
B&W
16x9 1.37:1 with side mattes
DTS-HD MA 2.0
English SDH
Directed by Raoul Walsh
Special features: Classic WB cartoons “ROUGHLY SQUEAKING”, “SLICK HARE”. Includes the Original Theatrical Trailer
Cast: Ida Lupino, Robert Alda, Andrea King
Torch singer Petey Brown is beautiful and smart. The beautiful gets her in trouble. She’ll need all the smarts to get out of it in this bluesy, boozy noir salute to tough dames in tough times. On a holiday visit to her family in the waning days of World War II, Petey expects a merry Christmas. Instead, she gets a tangled web of mobsters, cheating wives, war-traumatized vets and the kind of love that grabs hold fast and goes wrong faster. Ida Lupino portrays Petey, scoring a triumph under the direction of Raoul Walsh, who helped put her on the road to stardom in the Bogart classic High Sierra. The Man I Love is also notable for its songbook of sophisticated standards and as one of the inspirations for Martin Scorsese’s “New York, New York”. This new Blu-ray presentation restores 6 minutes cut from the film and unseen for nearly seven decades. Now, newly remastered the film can finally be experienced as first shown in its original theatrical release.

View attachment 220677
Very, very pleased about this. Especially with those extra six minutes. The unmentioned Dolores Moran plays an important supporting role.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alianalbuck
Recent bookmarks