What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Press Release Warner Archive Collection Press Release: Mr. & Mrs. Smith (1941) (Blu-ray) (2 Viewers)

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Will, I think you may have been misunderstanding me. MR & MRS SMITH is not a screwball comedy, nor the others I referenced. According to my old film prof Jim Harvey, they're "comedies of re-marriage". Screwball, as you state, are more farces, like BRINGING UP BABY or NOTHING SACRED. These are Romantic comedies in which married couples get back together. There's really no "screwball" element at all. It's interesting you bring up PALM BEACH STORY, in which the main story line is a comedy of re-marriage, fused with "screwball elements" brought by secondary characters.
I apologize, Mark. Comedies of remarriage HAVE come to be included as a subgenre in the modern umbrella definition of "screwball" so I misunderstood your comments as including them as well.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I always took it to be a mystery about Italian restaurants with really bad food.

”The cat won’t eat it…”

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.