What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Press Release Warner Archive Collection Press Release: The Man I Love (1947) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
438222606_857315829767432_2896588719373559999_n.jpg

Coming to Blu-ray on June 18th from the Warner Archive Collection!
New 2024 1080p HD master from 4K scan of original nitrate camera negative.

THE MAN I LOVE (1947)
BD-50
96 Minutes
B&W
16x9 1.37:1 with side mattes
DTS-HD MA 2.0
English SDH
Directed by Raoul Walsh

Special features: Classic WB cartoons “ROUGHLY SQUEAKING”, “SLICK HARE”. Includes the Original Theatrical Trailer

Cast: Ida Lupino, Robert Alda, Andrea King

Torch singer Petey Brown is beautiful and smart. The beautiful gets her in trouble. She’ll need all the smarts to get out of it in this bluesy, boozy noir salute to tough dames in tough times. On a holiday visit to her family in the waning days of World War II, Petey expects a merry Christmas. Instead, she gets a tangled web of mobsters, cheating wives, war-traumatized vets and the kind of love that grabs hold fast and goes wrong faster. Ida Lupino portrays Petey, scoring a triumph under the direction of Raoul Walsh, who helped put her on the road to stardom in the Bogart classic High Sierra. The Man I Love is also notable for its songbook of sophisticated standards and as one of the inspirations for Martin Scorsese’s “New York, New York”. This new Blu-ray presentation restores 6 minutes cut from the film and unseen for nearly seven decades. Now, newly remastered the film can finally be experienced as first shown in its original theatrical release.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
A fine film!
One of my faves! More Walsh, especially from WB in the 1940's, is always welcome. And with the recent releases of THE ROARING TWENTIES, THEY DRIVE BY NIGHT, GENTLEMAN JIM and now THE MAN I LOVE, plus the upcoming PURSUED from KIno, it's turning into a wave. Hooray!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I attended a Zoom chat this afternoon for internet reviewers and podcasters of Warner Archive product that featured George Feltenstein as guest speaker. He was most enthusiastic about this release as the original film hasn't been seen intact since 1956 until this restoration which puts back in a song sequence missing for many decades. (See above description). He didn't offer any revelations of upcoming releases so there's no reason to ask about that, but rather he talked about the difficulties in negotiating what gets released each month as they're not his personal selections but determined by a committee of studio department heads based on many criteria.

Surprisingly, he was most surprised and thrilled by the overwhelming positive reaction to The Flash announcement on Facebook which resulted in many thousands of likes.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
"This new Blu-ray presentation restores 6 minutes cut from the film and unseen for nearly seven decades. Now, newly remastered the film can finally be experienced as first shown in its original theatrical release."

So the missing footage was a song sequence. I wonder why it was cut. I guess the most likely reason was to reduce the film running time when it played as part of a double feature but 6 minutes doesn't seem like much of a time savings. It wouldn't be a music rights issue as Warner Bros. owned the music it used in it's pictures at the time.

This is the first time that I have heard that this movie had been cut.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prexhobby
Recent bookmarks