What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

What DVD Did You Watch Last? (1 Viewer)

YANG

Screenwriter
while today, 2 ladies dropped by to share their adventures in treasure hunt and share some fun.
852e5ec4befdd62fb907a908e231aaae511915fb_2_1035x478.jpeg

IMG_20240414_162431141~2.jpg

one is mature and busty, while the other is younger and bubbly.
it doesn't matter how they feast my eyes, all it matters is how their their adventure rocks me in sound and sight!​

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
my 75" display is 4K.
Damn...maybe one day I'll be able to afford (or have the space for) a screen that large. What brand and type of panel is it...OLED, FALD LCD, edge lit?
i've been stocking up some "selected" titles with 4K "transition packs", that contains both UHD and FHD discs in a single case.
Makes sense.
i can get a 4K player just to play 4K discs easily but i didn't do so, as that specific model sold in my country is famous for being problematic in reading 100GB discs. still waiting for parallel importer to bring in the PANASONIC UB820 while i'm still...jobless. so i'm currently still living with my relatively old and reliable PHILIPS BDP7750 for BD/DVD playback.
I hear you; I am a freelance writer by trade and make next to no money, so I understand what you're going through. Which player are you referring to that has issues playing the triple layer discs?

As for the UB820, I had it for one night before returning it to the store (Best Buy in the States) because it was ridiculously cheap and chintzy for the asking price. The whole chassis is plastic-esque, and doesn't even fill out a shelf space depth-wise. I ended up getting the Cambridge Audio CXUHD (which is a rebadged Oppo UDP-203) and now I have the Panasonic UB9000. I won't go any more expensive than the Panny.
yeah... i'm set in a certain way... but holding back as i'm currently living in a frugal way on my savings such that i don't spend too much over some part in this hobby.
I totally get that; as I said, I don't make much money, at all, and we rely on my wife's income to sustain us. I feel your pain.

Last edited:

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
T2 Extreme: DVD & DVD-highdef-hybrid: Good points, & I think you aren't alone: probably most home theater folks found the computer-to-TV set up to be very awkward to impossible. Anyway, if the stars align in the future (maybe a laptop?) and you get to play around with it, and compare the 2 disc picture qualities, maybe you can give us your thoughts. Also, I wonder if any other films tried to do this DVD-highdef-hybrid around that time in 2003-ish...??? I'm just geeky curious. Hopefully Exorcist II: The Heretic received the treatment :emoji_upside_down: :P ← Everyone's favorite film!
Wait -- what are you saying here about Exorcist II? What kind of treatment would you like to see it get? Scream Factory already released a two-disc Collector's Edition Blu, and it's probably gonna be the "definitive" version of this turd in the franchise (I actually own it, because there's something that's likeable, on the surface, to me).
T2 4K: I have a Blu-ray set of the first 4 Terminator films (from about 13 years ago, methinks). Been a while since I binged through them. Always thought they were so much fun - especially the ambition and backstory of making the first Terminator (1984). Anyway, been kinda bummed about the discouraging "DNR" news about the multiple 4K releases of T2 (2017-2021!!), literally from 2 different studio/production house release$$$ via digitalbits.com ...here are separate screen shots. Though, for the record, I haven't seen any of the 4K releases yet:

Lionsgate:

View attachment 219458

View attachment 219459

Studio Canal:
View attachment 219460
And getting back to the DVD conversation and the Terminator films themselves. I always did like, and was fully entertained by Terminator: Rise of the Machines. So it was a fun surprise to read in your 65-incher (hehehe) post #1392 above that it was your favorite.:thumbsup:Great to hear!!!!! + I thought the DVD looked very clean and sharp back when I rented it I believe.
I wasn't aware that there were THAT many 4K releases of T2. That's interesting.

Good to know I'm not alone with liking T3. Indeed, I too had the DVD when it came out, but the separate full screen edition (because I was watching DVDs on a small Sony tube set back then; I always chose the full screen version where available). I recall the Dolby Digital 5.1 mix being the de facto house-rocking standard on that disc, and, ironically, Warner Bros. put the exact same mix on the Blu-ray (I replaced the full screen DVD with the Blu). I will rebuy this if it ever comes out on 4K (don't understand why it hasn't yet) because the visual and audio specs can be improved upon a little at this point.

Upfront: as most fans know, the writing of the John Connor character was heavily criticized for him being whiny and mopey in this particular Terminator ("3") chapter. I was conflicted about this: while, yes, part of me wanted to see John Connor to be more of an aggressive, fighting stud, however:

I also thought there was a strong, realistic argument for Connor to naturally be overwhelmed by his tragic life, amplified by the menacing destruction rushing toward humanity. With that, I thought Nick Stahl was wonderful and believable, full of pathos, and of course he did have his stud/fighting moments, which was good! I wished Stahl could have been worked into the future T films. I always liked him.

At the time, IRL, I believe Stahl was
battling substance abuse and his own demons, so it was evidently a horrible time for him, if you look into it. Maybe that enhanced his performance in strange ways. Rehab in 2012, though & I hope he's better. Further, I liked T:Rise of the Machine's story, fights, racing, action sequences, the sexy villainesse, and I thought the ending was actually pretty cool. Seen this film about 3 times (theater release, DVD, Blu-ray). And plan to see it again when the Terminator binge-bug bites.
aquarium fail GIF

View attachment 219465
Could not agree MORE about the Stahl performance, Jim -- I can't explain it, but I am really captivated by the way he narrates the events in the character's life at the beginning of the film. It seems genuine and heartfelt, as if he (Stahl) was putting everything into the performance (when he says things like "I feel the weight of the future bearing down on me....a future I don't want......."

JimJasper

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
Wait -- what are you saying here about Exorcist II? What kind of treatment would you like to see it get? Scream Factory already released a two-disc Collector's Edition Blu, and it's probably gonna be the "definitive" version of this turd in the franchise (I actually own it, because there's something that's likeable, on the surface, to me).

I wasn't aware that there were THAT many 4K releases of T2. That's interesting.

Good to know I'm not alone with liking T3. Indeed, I too had the DVD when it came out, but the separate full screen edition (because I was watching DVDs on a small Sony tube set back then; I always chose the full screen version where available). I recall the Dolby Digital 5.1 mix being the de facto house-rocking standard on that disc, and, ironically, Warner Bros. put the exact same mix on the Blu-ray (I replaced the full screen DVD with the Blu). I will rebuy this if it ever comes out on 4K (don't understand why it hasn't yet) because the visual and audio specs can be improved upon a little at this point.

Could not agree MORE about the Stahl performance, Jim -- I can't explain it, but I am really captivated by the way he narrates the events in the character's life at the beginning of the film. It seems genuine and heartfelt, as if he (Stahl) was putting everything into the performance (when he says things like "I feel the weight of the future bearing down on me....a future I don't want......."
Hey stud, I was just goofing around with Exorcist II ...deserving a RESTORED, FRAME-BY-FUCKING-FRAME from the original negative into a 32K home theater release - all this following a worldwide, IMAX RELEASE due NEXT MONTH of May 2024!!! Whoops there I go again :cool:. I actually like parts of it, as it tries to follow some ideas from the first film, but is far more lofty with near-apocalyptic themes.

You are right, Terminator 3 just wins us over. If they don't get too bitchy, other fan-detractors have reasonable arguments against this film, I cannot deny. But don't they become tiring? In the moment, I just had a blast with T3, as it carried me along.

It's been so long, I can't remember the impact of T3's 5.1 home theater audio mix as you mentioned, which I'm usally a geek about. So you mentioning it as demo-worthy, balls shaking got me excited for the next round :emoji_eggplant: :emoji_sweat_drops::emoji_sweat_drops: .

Yeah, Stahl, to me, is a versatile performer; really can do anything. And you are right about him putting everything into this more complex iteration with the John Connor character, and he seems very genuine, and pushed to his limits. Would have been really weird to see him play the vile John Connor in (over-expositionalized, but still confusing) Genesis? Yikes. Really thought T3's ending was cool finding that dormant, mid-20th century control center....I won't spoil any more about that, though.

Season 1 GIF by SHOWTIME

YANG

Screenwriter
A day of AFF-L-ACTION with...
a1804a469fa397f4c32654c56930b776f966b20b.jpeg

IMG_20240420_140814603~2.jpg

...BEN!
anybody wanna join?
it’s a straight&macho date of bass pounding and bullet whizzling affair!
😸

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
A day of AFF-L-ACTION with...
a1804a469fa397f4c32654c56930b776f966b20b.jpeg

View attachment 220268
...BEN!
anybody wanna join?
it’s a straight&macho date of bass pounding and bullet whizzling affair!
😸
Jesus Christ on a Saltine Cracker...

I have The Accountant on Blu-ray (they're making a sequel), had Daredevil as a full screen DVD and want to get Sum of All Fears on 4K.....

I don't like the Director's Cut of Daredevil, but it's the only version available on Blu-ray -- I'll rebuy this if it comes out in 4K if it has the theatrical version.

YANG

Screenwriter
in celebration of ALIEN return to selected Cinemas for limited theatrical screenings, this weekend reserved for 2 Directors works to salute the Scott Brothers!
yesterday was John Moore...
e2dfcdfe9b1370239a5e4629149eb0fec592557e.jpeg

IMG_20240428_151822297~2.jpg

...to Tony.

today is Michael Bay...
369c630ce661b892d414955334f3d4a67b24c9b9_2_1035x501.jpeg

IMG_20240428_151139101~3.jpg

...who may have, or may not inspired by Ridley to make epics, in MTV way!​

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TVonDVDCollector
Recent bookmarks