What's new

2017 Academy Award Nominations Thread (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Manchester by the Sea and Moonlight are playing in my city starting on Friday so that will leave Lion as the only Best Picture Nominee I didn't see this past year.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I am still mystified why La La Land is so critically acclaimed. A musical in which no one can sing, in which the music is mediocre, the acting is meh. I tell myself "to each his own", but this is one of the biggest "I don't get it" movies in my life.

The Academy LOVES musicals. Also, while I haven't seen the movie myself, I am hearing that it's also a love letter to Hollywood. That never hurts your chances.

On the surface it looks like La La is a shoo in but I could seed them going with Fences or Hidden Figures to "atone" for last year.

I agree! And I liked Streep's performance in FFJ. But I feel Adams's performance in 'Arrival' was exceptional.

But the Oscar will go to Emma Stone, so it's a moot point.

Don't be too sure on that. Again, as I said in the Razzies thread, not to kick a hornets nest but Meryl is probably going to get a lot of mileage from her "incredibly brave" golden globes speech.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
So, is Mel Gibson officially released from Hollywood Jail™ now?
Amazingly, yes. About a week ago, I heard an old clip of Howard Stern playing the audio tapes that Mel's girl recorded of him and as someone who has no problem saying or hearing some horrible shit, that tape is shocking. That being said, I can separate the art from the artist because he's a helluva director.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Don't be too sure on that. Again, as I said in the Razzies thread, not to kick a hornets nest but Meryl is probably going to get a lot of mileage from her "incredibly brave" golden globes speech.
Just by virtue of being Meryl Streep, she's got an edge (especially when two of the five nominees have no chance) but I think her Golden Globes speech is going to put her over the top.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
No one surpasses Huppert in Elle. That being said, I'd vote for Streep and hope for her to win just to read the forthcoming tweet the morning after.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Love:
The eight nominations for Arrival -- especially Best Director, Best Film Editing, Best Picture (of course) and most of all Best Adapted Screenplay. Just a brilliant example of adaptation.
Mel Gibson's directing nomination. A mess of a human being, but a brilliant cinematic storyteller.
Ruth Negga's Best Actress nomination. I haven't seen Loving yet, but she is an incredible talent.

Bummed:
That Amy Adams got snubbed for Arrival that was an incredible, easy to underappreciate performance.

Surprised that Rogue One wasn't nominated for Score. Its truly tremendous and serves the film WELL and was very creative in mixing some old familiar cues to some stellar new ones. First Star Wars film without John Williams too. Oh Well...
I thought it served its purpose fine in the movie, but it definitely doesn't rank in the top tier of Michael Giacchino scores for me, and doesn't come close to any of John Williams's scores for the seven saga films.

I was happy to see the (entirely expected) Visual Effects nomination. It really pushed the state of the art forward in a couple ways.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Loving is a much better movie than Hidden Figures but it was not a hit with the masses. So it was not nominated for Best Picture. Lion is another feel good movie that has no business being nominated for BP.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I've seen all the BP nominees and my favorite film (not that it'll win) is Moonlight.
I'm only missing Viggo's performance (which I'll remedy tonight) in the Best Actor category, and my favorite performance is Affleck's in Manchester by the Sea.
For Best Actress, and I've seen all the nominees, I go with Huppert in Elle.
For Best Supporting Actor (seen them all), I go with Mahershala Ali in Moonlight.
For Best Supporting Actress (seen them all), I go with Viola Davis in Fences.
Best Director, (seen them all), I go with Barry Jenkins for Moonlight.
Moonlight should also get the Cinematography award (I've seen all the nominated films).

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
On the surface it looks like La La is a shoo in but I could seed them going with Fences or Hidden Figures to "atone" for last year.
If anything is going to take it away from La La Land by virtue of diversity, it will be Moonlight, not either one of those.

Just by virtue of being Meryl Streep, she's got an edge (especially when two of the five nominees have no chance) but I think her Golden Globes speech is going to put her over the top.
Meryl will not win this year. If anything her speech only gave her the boost to barely snag the nomination, thereby pushing out Amy Adams.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I haven't seen any of the BP nominees yet.

I have no interest in seeing Lion because I saw a piece about the real guy on TV (I think it was on 60 Minutes, which I rarely watch), and the true story was so mind-blowing that I simply have no need to view a fictionalization of it. :)

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Will I see the Meryl Streep film? You bet. After all, I have to keep up with her Academy record for being the most nominated performer in history. But I must be honest. 20 nominations? That is off the hook !!! Hell, you have to go back to Jack Nicholson and Katharine Hepburn to see, what I believe, as being the more grounded and realistic career records; with each recieving 12 nominations. 12 nominations was a life-time Everest to climb, in and of itself. Be very clear, I both deeply admire and respect Meryl Streep; a truly great technician in acting; but, for my money, Katharine Hepburn still dominates. Short of Ms. Streep's performances in "Sophie's Choice", "Out of Africa" and "Angels in America", Ms. Hepburn still fills those "technique of acting" gaps with fervent immediacy, a blood-pumping heart and a crackling sense for the urgency of being alive.
With Ms. Streep, I can usually recognize the seams of her work; as tightly sewn as they may be.
Meryl Streep remains a study to me, whereas Katharine Hepburn simply jumps off the screen.
Both brought something different and unique to the game and fore.
Needless to say, Meryl Streep and Katharine Hepburn are both icons and artists of the highest order.
But 20 nominations?
In the final analysis, though, it's the Academy that we're truly talking about, here.
Dare I say it?
20 nominations is almost as overdone as were my Posts about "Ryan's Daughter".;)

Last edited:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Man I really wanted to love Moonlight. It didn't work for me.

Had no idea what it was about so I went in blind. I really liked the two supporting performances from Naomie Harris and especially Mehershala Ali who I thought was awesome.

But the film itself didn't grab me. Didn't care enough about Chiron to connect especially in the third act.

My least favorite of the BP nominees so far. Still need to see Fences, Manchester and Lion.

What a disappointment. ☹️

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Man I really wanted to love Moonlight. It didn't work for me.

Had no idea what it was about so I went in blind. I really liked the two supporting performances from Naomie Harris and especially Mehershala Ali who I thought was awesome.

But the film itself didn't grab me. Didn't care enough about Chiron to connect especially in the third act.

My least favorite of the BP nominees so far. Still need to see Fences, Manchester and Lion.

What a disappointment. ☹️

Manchester by the Sea might manage to push Moonlight higher for you. It's slow. Too slow.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks