What's new

2017 Academy Award Nominations Thread (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Ultimately, the snafu could have been corrected a lot sooner if the accountants on site had followed the pre-established procedure. In the event a wrong winner was announced, one of the two accountants was supposed to walk onstage immediately and correct the mistake, before the wrong winner has the chance to take the stage and make a speech. That's why they wait in the wings. It should be a matter of seconds. One of the accountants made the mistake on one side of the stage; that doesn't explain how or why the accountant on the other side of the stage didn't follow established procedure and walk out to the microphone to correct the mistake.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Also, print the category for that award in large black letters on the envelope, and hand it to the presenter with the title upward so he or she can read it, too, to make sure they have the correct one that he or she is presenting.

Looking at this year's envelopes, the category was in light-colored, fancy scrollwork at the bottom of the envelope.

In one of the Oscar videos from the 1950s that I looked at the other day, the envelope was opened by the accountant and the card with the winner was handed to the presenter. That might not be a bad procedure either.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Just saw Lion. Wow, speechless. I have not seen La La Land or Moonlight yet but I give this movie the best picture award two times! I was drawn into this from the first sec and it never left me. That little guy needed a nomination even more than Dev Patel.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Very mild Lion spoiler: I was so glad that the actress who played his real mother played both her young and old version of herself. You could tell it's the same person. I can't tell you how irked I was when Christopher Nolan used another actress to play old Jessica Chastain in Interstellar. It practically killed the movie for me. It was shouting it is not the same soul.

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
Also, print the category for that award in large black letters on the envelope, and hand it to the presenter with the title upward so he or she can read it, too, to make sure they have the correct one that he or she is presenting.

Looking at this year's envelopes, the category was in light-colored, fancy scrollwork at the bottom of the envelope.

In one of the Oscar videos from the 1950s that I looked at the other day, the envelope was opened by the accountant and the card with the winner was handed to the presenter. That might not be a bad procedure either.

The L.A. Times had a couple of articles, before and after the ceremony, with the envelope designer. Turns out, this was the first years in quite a while that AMPAS contracted with a different individual to design the envelopes. Particularly in the "after" article, I thought the long-time envelope designer was pretty classy. He had seeming every right to scream "I told you" at the top of his lungs, but his comments were measured to say the least - probably a good approach to win back the work for next year.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks