What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

2018-19 MLB Hot Stove (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Yeah the Dodgers basically did a salary dump with the possibility of signing a free agent, presumably Harper who all the experts say wants to to play there.

But these big signings don’t happen usually until the new year.
Machado has said he won’t do anything till next year.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I was just saying that until that other shoe drops, it sure doesn't look like a positive move for the Dodgers.

And while I realize its a salary dump, it ain't much of a dump. Homer Bailey is owed $28-million (for a guy who won't throw a pitch for the Dodgers. I think overall the Dodgers are about $7-million dollars to the good after the move--which ain't a real make-or-break amount.

So I'm just waiting to see what they've got cooked up.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
They probably figured Harper's a sure thing since the Yanks and Bosox apparently aren't making a play for him... and the Phillies don't seem to be either... And someone of his talent still at such prime age just doesn't come along often in FA...

The $$$ isn't much of an obstacle for them... though they would like to get under the luxury tax threshold at some point if possible... but it's all about winning it all for them and no excuses (given their resources) afterall...

_Man_

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I was just saying that until that other shoe drops, it sure doesn't look like a positive move for the Dodgers.

And while I realize its a salary dump, it ain't much of a dump. Homer Bailey is owed $28-million (for a guy who won't throw a pitch for the Dodgers. I think overall the Dodgers are about $7-million dollars to the good after the move--which ain't a real make-or-break amount.

So I'm just waiting to see what they've got cooked up.
They got back better prospects too by trading now then if they waited for those other moves to be finalized because it deprives their trade partners from having leverage over them. Such as knowing the Dodgers have to trade Puig and Kemp because of those players salaries affecting their luxury tax threshold limit and the Dodgers having a 40 man roster crunch with too many players over that 40 man limit.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
They probably figured Harper's a sure thing since the Yanks and Bosox apparently aren't making a play for him... and the Phillies don't seem to be either... And someone of his talent still at such prime age just doesn't come along often in FA...

The $$$ isn't much of an obstacle for them... though they would like to get under the luxury tax threshold at some point if possible... but it's all about winning it all for them and no excuses (given their resources) afterall...

Seems like the Nationals are either making another attempt at Harper or just driving up the price for the Dodgers, et al...

_Man_

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
They finally voted someone in unanimously, thank goodness, it was embarrassing that no one until now was unanimous. Who the hell could have looked at their ballot and passed on players like Ruth and Mays and several others?

Six players going in this year, a big class. I might have to look at going this year.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Let’s go Mets!

This season is the 50 anniversary of the Miracle Mets of 1969!

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Seems like it’s a lock that Bryce will be playing for Philly. As a Phils fan, I’m not exactly jumping for joy- their starting pitching still isn’t good enough, 10 year deals is too long to commit to a player, especially a flawed player like Bryce, and
I don’t think he’ll handle the booing very well. I’d rather see the Phils sign Keuchel and Kimbrel
(both players would be similar to the AAV that Bryce is going to get, there’s no long-term
commitment to either pitcher, and 2 big holes would be filled on the roster).

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I was at the Phils game yesterday.
Franco and Kingery are already neck and neck for the starting job at third. They both circled the bases on one swing.

Kingery might be at a a disadvantage if they keep playing him at short.

Signing Harper would not preclude them from signing Keuchel and/or Kimbrel.
I think if they sign Harper it ups the chance they sign one of those pitchers.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Scuttlebutt is the Dodgers are throwing their hat in the ring for Harper now. Interesting to see what the bidding war will be for him. I don’t think the commissioner will love Trout, Machado and Harper on the west coast- the east coast fans won’t be able to watch them in action.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
A lot of this is very similar to Jim Thome in the early aughts.
It was “suggested” to him by the union to sign with the Phillies.
He wanted to sign elsewhere but the Phils offer was very generous.

At this point with Harper it seems the Phils again have the highest offer but he is still out there, well his agent is, trying to get other offers.

I don’t know that the union presents any pressure they way they did with Thome anymore though.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I doubt Kimbrel sits out- he’ll make even less money going forward if he does. He and his agent made a huge mistake by putting it out to the press as soon as the World Series was over that he wanted $100 million- nobody was going to give him anywhere near that.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Maybe the Phils should just give Harper a hard deadline and move on to sign both Keuchel and Kimbrel (to something reasonable) if Harper doesn't happen. Then, they can just take their shot at Trout (or Stanton should he actually opt out, which means the Yanks will definitely be all over Trout) in a couple years instead... though Trout might end up staying w/ the Angels...

Not like the Phils don't already have a full OF for next 2-3 years anyway...

Certainly no reason to just let Keuchel sign elsewhere w/out making a serious offer just because they're still waiting on Harper me thinks...

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samrinriya
Recent bookmarks