What's new

AFI: 75 out of 77 on BD (1 Viewer)

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
The American Film Institute's "100 Years...100 Movies" list originated in 1998.
For those not aware of this list, it was a heavily voted upon caucus of what was considered to be the 100 greatest American films of the 20th Century.
Like all lists, the controversies and discussions began.
In 2007 the list was revised.
23 titles were dropped. 23 alternates appeared. And 77 survived.
And what of these 77 titles that both decades agreed upon?
Well, 75 of those 77 are now available on Blu Ray in America.
I wonder what it will take to see the release of those final two on Blu?
And, BTW, what are those remaining two; you might ask?
Well, both star Katherine Hepburn and Cary Grant;
with one possessing an Oscar winning performance for Best Actor by James Stewart.
And both titles were directed by Howard Hawks and George Cukor.
Yes, I am speaking of none other than "Bringing Up Baby" (1938) and"The Philadelphia Story" (1940).
Not only did both of these titles survive the AFI revision vote, but both had risen within their ranks, as well.
Indeed, of the 77 survivors, a whopping 38 titles had actually scored lower, a decade later.
But this, of course, would not be the case when dealing with such a collection of legendary and iconoclastic talents, as found within the these very two films.
As it was, "Bringing Up Baby" jumped from #97 to #88 and "The Philadelphia Story"went from #51 to #44.
I repeat, the American popularity and stature of both these films rose even higher a decade later.
Not bad for a pair of films that are now, respectively, 79 and 77 years old.
Jarring is their absence from our BD collections.
As it is, neither film should even be the topic of a Post in this year of 2017, as their attributes to Hollywood's history needs no introduction. Both films are indelible and remain firmly within the American consciousness. Therefore, I am submitting AFI's internationally known Top 100 films lists of 1998 and 2007 as additional evidence towards the importance of seeing "Bringing Up Baby" and "The Philadelphia Story" achieving their long-overdue releases.
Well, these are my arguments to the powers that be; but always - and once again - I shall ask,
"What does it take to have these two American classics released on a Blu Ray disc"?

Last edited:

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
................... waiting......................sound of crickets in background..................................waiting, maybe these two are moving at that pace that Paramount is setting

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Ronald Epstein made a good point on
Warner Archive upcoming Blu-ray release announcements from Comic Con thread. I understand his point, that maybe the films are in poorer condition and the Archive does have a budget. And yes, I'm sure someone out there has wished for these "creature" features to be released. I get THAT.

However, it doesn't make it any easier to accept The Green Slime over something like The Philadelphia Story.

IMHO, and not just because I collect them, but all best Picture nominees should be on BLU RAY for historical reasons.

We all want our favorites on Blu. It's unfortunate that we can't get what we'd like. Especially some of the classics.

Reactions: PMF

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I hope Mildred Pierce exceeded expectations with Criterion and they would consider other classic B&W films from the 30's and 40's like Bringing Up Baby and The Philadelphia Story. While they are at it maybe they could acquire Holiday from Sony and make it a Hepburn/Grant collection. Not a fan of Sylvia Scarlett but if that was also included I would still buy the set for a complete collection.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Who needs an acclaimed American classic on Bluray? :blink:
There are tons of bad obscure movies to be released first!

Ok, obviously I was sarcastic but couldn't help it! :D
I love Bringing Up Baby! Hope it's released sooner than later!

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Who needs an acclaimed American classic on Bluray? :blink:
There are tons of bad obscure movies to be released first!

Ok, obviously I was sarcastic but couldn't help it! :D
I love Bringing Up Baby! Hope it's released sooner than later!

you are absolutely, 100 % right in that statement, and because of that i have one of the worst films ever made in a stunning HD presentation
Manos: The Hands of Fate , i don't know , i think if enough time passes that people will see the true genius in that work :P

Zaat on the other hand may be a different story, its still bad

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
These are two of my most wanted titles. I asked Warner Archive about more Cary Grant films when Suspicion came out and they said they had no plans at that time. But I remain hopeful that one of these days we'll get them. I've seen other films with Grant and Hepburn (separately) on Blu-ray that have been beautifully restored and transferred, and to see those greats without the age and wear and tear on the physical print, when it looks as if it was shot yesterday, it's just a stunning thing. Both leads excel at the big, broad gestures that you can easily observe in SD from half a mile away, but there's also a lot of beautiful nuance in their work that's amazing to see up close and crystal clear in HD.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
It's not exactly AFI 100 material (or AFI 1000 if it existed), but The Green Slime is a fun, goofy monster movie. It's also probably in far better shape than Bringing Up Baby, which is more likely why it's heading to Blu-Ray first. And it's just one of many eclectic films being handled by Warner Archive.

Also, I wouldn't discount the exclusive titles on the revised AFI 100 list. Intolerance, The General, and Sunrise should have been there from day one.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Also, I wouldn't discount the exclusive titles on the revised AFI 100 list. Intolerance, The General, and Sunrise should have been there from day one.

oh that is so true, it depends on the time released and how many of the active member's are knowledgeable of the film and its history to get placed o that exclusive 100. I myself use all of the AFI list, the 100 Time list, best picture Oscar winners and dear lord forgive me Grindhouse database top 20 as a jumping off point for things to watch and collect. But it really boils down to what your personal taste are. mine seems to go from high art, to total trash, LOL.

If these list were redone with today's current body, would the films change, some would and those changes might surprise many on this forum.

Technical Achievements may replace classic storytelling, in some eyes, but there is a reason that a classic is deemed a classic, artist and director coming together to emote an emotional response. When future film historians and archivist look back 50 years from now, how do you think some of our beloved films will be viewed against Avatar or the current crop of comic book movies. Hollywood is busy trying to make a tent-pole, cash cow, its the business side of things, occasionally a diamond is found in a lot of the fodder that comes out.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
It's not exactly AFI 100 material (or AFI 1000 if it existed), but The Green Slime is a fun, goofy monster movie. It's also probably in far better shape than Bringing Up Baby, which is more likely why it's heading to Blu-Ray first. And it's just one of many eclectic films being handled by Warner Archive.
Also, I wouldn't discount the exclusive titles on the revised AFI 100 list. Intolerance, The General, and
Sunrise
should have been there from day one.
YES, YES and YES to your 3 cited choices from the revised list; and make no mistakes, I have all 3. As a matter of fact, I do not discount many of the dropped titles, nor do I discount many of the newer entries, either. Even on their own merits; cense the AFI badge of honors; "Bringing Up Baby" and "The Philadelphia Story" should be available at this stage of advancements within the world of physical media. And most of all, both should be restored, if such undertakings are required. But since what I refer to as "The Core 77" includes both titles, it seems to be a true shame that these final two titles aren't there to complete AFI's Top 77 list . [/QUOTE]

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
These are two of my most wanted titles. I asked Warner Archive about more Cary Grant films when Suspicion came out and they said they had no plans at that time. But I remain hopeful that one of these days we'll get them. I've seen other films with Grant and Hepburn (separately) on Blu-ray that have been beautifully restored and transferred, and to see those greats without the age and wear and tear on the physical print, when it looks as if it was shot yesterday, it's just a stunning thing. Both leads excel at the big, broad gestures that you can easily observe in SD from half a mile away, but there's also a lot of beautiful nuance in their work that's amazing to see up close and crystal clear in HD.
Josh, do you know if the absence of "Bringing Up Baby" and "The Philadelphia Story" has anything to do with Restoration or licensing issues?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Josh, do you know if the absence of "Bringing Up Baby" and "The Philadelphia Story" has anything to do with Restoration or licensing issues?

Pretty sure Warner owns outright, Bringing Up Baby from their acquisition of RKO, and Philadelphia Story from the Turner merger. I've heard "Baby", like most of the RKO catalog, is in poor condition - but with that said, I think UCLA and/or MOMA have a very good 35mm print and that had to be sourced from something (I've seen it before), so I don't think it's hopeless or beyond saving. But it may require more of an investment than they're willing to make at this time.

Not sure if there's anything crazy funky going on with the elements for Philadelphia Story or if it just isn't a priority for them. I don't think I've ever heard anything specific about the film elements on that one.

I think the most likely scenario is just that these require a little more work than Warner Archive typically spends. They're probably projects better suited for the regular Warner Brothers label, but the regular side has pretty much stopped putting out catalog titles, so that's that. For whatever reason, classic comedy and romantic comedy seems to be one of the poorer sellers on Blu-ray - they can probably make more with a piece of 80s schlock (not that I have anything against 80s schlock!) than they could with these all-time great films. If they belonged to a smaller label, they might be more a priority, but Warner has so much stuff they control I fear it'll just be a while before they get to it.

At least the DVDs are watchable. There are some great Cary Grant movies that are DVD-only and the discs are far worse than these.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Pretty sure Warner owns outright, Bringing Up Baby from their acquisition of RKO, and Philadelphia Story from the Turner merger. I've heard "Baby", like most of the RKO catalog, is in poor condition - but with that said, I think UCLA and/or MOMA have a very good 35mm print and that had to be sourced from something (I've seen it before), so I don't think it's hopeless or beyond saving. But it may require more of an investment than they're willing to make at this time.

Not sure if there's anything crazy funky going on with the elements for Philadelphia Story or if it just isn't a priority for them. I don't think I've ever heard anything specific about the film elements on that one.

I think the most likely scenario is just that these require a little more work than Warner Archive typically spends. They're probably projects better suited for the regular Warner Brothers label, but the regular side has pretty much stopped putting out catalog titles, so that's that. For whatever reason, classic comedy and romantic comedy seems to be one of the poorer sellers on Blu-ray - they can probably make more with a piece of 80s schlock (not that I have anything against 80s schlock!) than they could with these all-time great films. If they belonged to a smaller label, they might be more a priority, but Warner has so much stuff they control I fear it'll just be a while before they get to it.

At least the DVDs are watchable. There are some great Cary Grant movies that are DVD-only and the discs are far worse than these.
Many thanks, Josh; and very useful information. Much appreciated.:thumbs-up-smiley:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Let's get the vote out !!
For those who are interested in seeing "Bringing Up Baby" and/or "The Philadelphia Story" brought to BD, just hit the "Likes" button on the first and Leading Post of this thread.
Will the numbers help or be of any influence? Who knows? But it certainly couldn't hurt, either.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Last edited:

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Philip,

if you are signed up to receive the Criterion newsletter, I think that you and many here will be pleasantly surprises, have an idea that one of those two my be getting the Criterion treatment.:D

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Although my primary focus was on the releases of "Bringing Up Baby" (1938) and "The Philadelphia Story" (1940) from AFI's core 77 (being the common films that survived their two Top "100 Years...100 Films lists of 1998 and 2007); I would be remiss not to broach the other 4 titles.
Remember, 23 titles were dropped and 23 were added in 2007. Of the 23/23, there are also two titles from each of those lists yet to be released on BD, as well.
So, let's go for it.
From the 23 dropped we have yet to see "Wuthering Heights" (1939) and "A Place in the Sun" (1951).
From the 23 alternates vote we have yet to see "A Night at the Opera" (1935) and "Swing Time" (1936).
There are plenty of good reasons for all 6 of these titles to be released on BD.
Let the discussions begin.:)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks