What's new

New receiver needed for new 4K TV? Recommendations? (1 Viewer)

Phil Carter

Second Unit
Real Name
Phil
Good day folks!

So Best Buy's 50-hour sale proved too great a temptation and we are now the owners of a new Samsung QN75Q7F 75" 4K QLED television. ($2000 off a $6000 TV was just too good to pass up). Delivery and installation/setup will be in two weeks, so that gives me enough time to order new HDMI cables that'll support 4K (hooray for Monoprice).

Now, though, it seems I'll need a new receiver as well. My current receiver is a Denon AVR-990 which I understand doesn't support 4K pass-through because it's about eight or nine years old. As it stands now, I run all my devices through the receiver with a single HDMI output to the current TV, switching outputs on the receiver depending on which device I'm using, but from what I've read, that won't work with my current setup if I need 4K output (or standard 1080p Blu-rays upscaled to 4K). I'd like to hear what you folks would recommend as a replacement.

Details of what I currently have, all run through the Denon AVR-990:

Playstation 3 for gaming, Netflix and Blu-ray playback (HDMI into receiver for audio/video)
Playstation 2 for older gaming (TOSlink optical cable into receiver for audio/video)
Tower PC (HDMI into receiver for audio/video)
Raspberry Pi mini-PC (HDMI into receiver for audio/video)
Polk Audio 5.1 speakers
SVS PB-2000 subwoofer

Once the new TV is here I'll be adding two more devices:

OPPO or Sony 4K Ultra disc player (with new high speed HDMI into receiver)
Playstation 4 Pro (again with new high speed HDMI into receiver)

I'll be using commercial grade in-wall-spec HDMI for the single video output cable from the new receiver to the new TV since it'll be run behind the wall.

I don't have a need for 7.2 audio (we're just fine with the 5.1 setup for now). We *might* look to upgrade to an Atmos speaker setup later but that's a ways off.

So what y'all think? Something like the Denon AVR-S530BT? Or would it be smarter to just bite the bullet and go for something like the Denon AVR-S730H for futureproofing?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Phil Carter

Second Unit
Real Name
Phil
So I got a response via email that there was a reply here but it seems to have disappeared. Current front-runner is the Denon AVR-S920W, which seems to be on sale at a lot of places for $475, just about the same price that several of the lower spec models are listed at. C'mon, I'm sure some of you have some opinions. :)

MrChris58

Auditioning
Real Name
Christopher Deady
I would say, make sure that your new unit can handle all the new specs coming out; ATMOS, Dolby Vision, 4k pass through, at least 6 hdmi inputs, including 1 ARC hmdi output. I'm a big fan of Marantz, but they are partners with Dennon so I think you're go to go! If you can afford it check out OPPO 203, it will do almost anything, even UHD 4K Blu-rays!

Phil Carter

Second Unit
Real Name
Phil
Whatever I get will definitely support 4K pass-through. That's the whole reason for getting the replacement -- so I can still have all my gadgets run through the receiver. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks